Dell Latitude 10

Discussion in 'Dell' started by excalibur1814, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRydad

TheRydad Pen Pal - Newbie

I hadn't seen that. It references a new XPS tablet, too. I get all of my information from Engadget.com so I am probably wrong.

2. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for letting me know! So I will keep on waiting at least till the beginning of next year as the current Venues seem not to work properly. I feel that the Latitude 11/20 will serve as the high performance tablet of the portfolio with Core i7 and 256-512 GB SSDs with N-Trig or at least Wacom pen... :)

3. cirian75

cirian75 Pen Pal - Newbie

How well does the Dell Latitude 10 perform with 8.1?

I'm finding the Dell Outlet tempting at the £250 average price vs the new Bay Trials that start at £350 to £439

And I actually prefer the looks of the Latitude 10

I browser the web a LOT using normally chrome or FF, watch loads of youtube and NetFlix, both in HD

Play older games like total annihilation and Half Life 2 pt 1 and 2 ?

Play 1080p off external HDD's ?

Play DVD's off an external DVD/CD drive (yes I know I will have to supply an 2nd USB power source, A phone charger can do that)?

4. cirian75

OK

I've ordered a Latitude 10 refurb

which cases are good (UK suppliers please)?

5. kobe_24

kobe_24 Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you consider getting the dock as well cirian?

On my laptop I'm a FF GG kind of guy, but I prefer IE on my tablet. I basically use mine for playing music through my bluetooth speakers and watching movies. HD movies look extremely sharp on this device, which is somewhat surprising. You shouldn't find any slow downs working with Office or surfing the internet, so have fun!

Right now I'm using Durabook made by Poetic. Once I decide to get a keyboard, that will change.

6. cirian75

The dock looks nice

Would be buying a 2nd hand one though

Will look at that case.

7. cirian75

whooo, tracking shows it left Germany 10.34 this morning

Arrived at UK Mails depot 15.01

should have it tomorrow

8. aginor

aginor Pen Pal - Newbie

That's the one I've just received, however it was shipped without instructions (fail), I suppose it needs a battery but there's no obvious part of it that can be removed and I don't want to force the thing as I may break it... Normally it's the upper part opposite the tip that can be unscrewed or something... Can anyone help, please? Sorry for the probably stupid question

9. pappyxmas

pappyxmas Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope, no battery, none, nada, zip. I have 2 of them and they work fine - no battery required.

10. Simeuk

Simeuk Pen Pal - Newbie

This is a guide for settinng up a Latitude 10 essential to cover key driver updates, Upgrade to 8.1 and backups

1. Dell updates

After unboxing , power up and login with a Hotmail account.

Search for Windows Update in Settinngs, Change PC Settings, Update and Recovery section and in the options select Choose How I get updates,Check but don’t download

At this stage on my 64GB drive the available space was 37.4GB Free of 52.1GB.

Go to the Dell support web page – Support | Dell UK

Enter the service tag that is on the back of your tablet.

This should show the required updated Dell drivers for your specific tablet. You may get errors about already having the same version installed

Download and install the drivers listed– starting with bios. You may have to reboot a few times.

2. Windows update
    Goto Updates under Settings, Change PC Settings, Update and Recovery. Select Check for Updates. Install all that is listed - you will have to reboot after some. This will help with the 8.1 upgrade that works better with current revisions of drivers.

3. Windows 8.1 Upgrade
    After rebooting go to the Store and you should see an option to upgrade to 8.1. Select the upgrade - the following link will show you the steps. ou will need to uninstall Dell Data Protection before you do this as the upgrade will be prevented if this is installed.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-upgrade-step-step

After the 8.1 install I had 32GB Free. Also the camera stoppped working but I found by loading the original Intel Chipset Drivers resolved this problem.

4. Create Recovery Media
    Your hard disk includes a recovery partition which takes up space , and is based on the previous windows 8 install. You can move this data off your drive to save space. Follow this link for details http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-create-recovery-media-144098

I would recomend an 8GB USB driver for this, remember the contents of this will get wiped as the process formats it.

Choose the option to 'Delete recovery partition after successful backup. When complete I also copied off the files to an external HDD for safety. When this is finished you should now see an E: drive with 5 GB of free space on it.

5. Install essential applications
    I then installed all the key applications that I used such as Office , Adobe Acrobat etc and made sure that they were patched to current levels.

6. Mount SD/Micro SD as a library

To save space on your hard disc you can suppliment it with either a MicroSD or an SD card. You can also get it to store your data files such as Documents, Pictures etc on it. This guide shows you how to get the folders from an SD card to get recogonised by the Modern UI applications.

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/surface-tip-microsd-content-libraries-metro-apps-144658

7. Partition backup

Finally with the tablet set just the way I wanted I did a partition level backup. This is important as you have upgraded to 8.1 (and the recovery partition that you backed up earlier refers to Windows 8 so if you use that to refresh you will lose all the settings after it.

To do this search for Control Panel then go to System and Security, File History. At the bottom is a link to System Image backup. I would recomend a powered extrenal drive for this of at least 40GB's.

You should now have a fully working, patched tablet runing the latest version of windows and fully backed up in case of problems.

Thanks to all the posters on the forum for the tips I picked up. Also due acknowledgement to the WInSupersite for the articles listed - I recomend it for current news and updates on Windows as well as a lot of good tips

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.