Dell Latitude 10

Discussion in 'Dell' started by excalibur1814, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newtabletguy

newtabletguy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Guys,

Thinking about jumping in on a new Latitude 10. I really have been debating between this and a surface pro...but the battery life on the pro isn't going to cut it.Oddly enough, Dell doesn't have the best prices to buy directly from them so I was looking at the following:

Newegg.com - Dell Latitude 10 Intel Atom 2GB RAM 64GB SSD 10.1" HD Tablet Windows 8 Pro WiFi BT Black Color- (LAT10-6238BK) (LAT10-6238BK)
    Newegg.com - Dell Latitude 10.1" Net-tablet PC - Wi-Fi - 3G HSPA+ - Intel Atom Z2760 1.80 GHz - DDR2 2GB - 64GB HDD - LED Backlight - Win8 Pro - Black (469-4051)
    Newegg.com - Dell Latitude 10.1" Net-tablet PC - Wi-Fi - Intel Atom Z2760 1.80 GHz -DDR2 2GB - 64GB HDD - LED Backlight - Win8 Pro - Black (469-4050)

The problem is I can't tell the difference these models. The cheapest one (second link) seems to have 3g whereas the others don't. Very bizarre, the part numbers in the parentheses also don't turn up any useful information.

Anyone know which one I should get? Want 64g/win 8 pro/gorilla glass/3g would be nice but not necessary as I probably won't get a data plan

2. BK_NC

BK_NC Pen Pal - Newbie

The 3G model is the most expensive on Dell's site, the Enhanced Security model, but not here on Newegg. I'd be leary of ordering one of those from Newegg even though I love Newegg and have shopped them a lot it seems to me you can't be sure what you will get with those 3 Dells from Newegg.

I bought a refurbished Latitude 10 off the Dell Outlet store and got it 2 days ago. Up until last week they had a 25% off coupon for the refurbs. It looks pristine to me. And has the same 1yr warranty new Dell's do. I wouldn't have bought the Dell if I didn't get it for so cheap. I think a lot of Windows 8 tablets are over priced currently even though I've loved using it the past 2 days. A refreshing change from my 1st gen iPad.

I couldn't swing $500 to $600 for a new tablet and I personally don't think Atom based Windows 8 tablets are worth that anymore given how close we are to the 2nd gen Windows 8 tablets are from coming out with better CPUs.

3. BK_NC

BK_NC Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my refurb Dell Latitude 10 64GB model with the swappable battery and Wacom digitizer on Tuesday this week. I've loved using it so far but MS still has a way to go in making the initial experience more tablet like. On the one hand, I got this because its Atom based with full x86 desktop compatibility and the active digitizer and the swappable battery is a plus. But one gripe is that its desktop legacy makes it a pain in the rear to setup. Microsoft still can't match the elegance (if thats what you want to call it) of Apples setup.

I took 9v9's advice. I went through the setup when it first starts. Then from desktop IE went to the dell site and its support section and let it find the Service Tag number for my tablet so it could tell me what drivers I needed to download. I downloaded the new BIOS(A06) and updated my A03 BIOS. Then the chipset drivers. Then went to the Wacom site and downloaded their newest drivers. Then checked Windows Update and let all critical updates get downloaded and installed. All this took a few hours. Then went to the Metro UI and the Windows Store had 15 updates ready. I really don't know why Dell can't use a more up to date Image for these things. But everything went fine. And the tablet seems to be working very well. I have enjoyed downloading a lot of apps and trying them out. Not much I miss from my iPad yet.

I got an extra 64GB SD card because like everyone says even though this is a 64GB model, Windows 8 takes up a big chunk of that space. It is misleading when you compare to the iPad but I knew that going in. I followed this guide (and the comments in it) http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/surface-tip-microsd-content-libraries-metro-apps-144658 in order to link my SD card to the Windows Libraries so Music, Videos, Photos would show up in the Metro apps. This has been somewhat of a pain and why MS didn't build this into Windows 8 and had to wait for 8.1 to natively support music, videos, and photos from an SD card for the Metro apps is beyond me. The work around while working is still a pain because the metro Photos app won't recognize any new photos I add to my library linked SD card after it goes to sleep unless I rename the folder on my SD card either Photos or Pictures. Its weird. The SD card is still linked to the filesystem Library and saves show up there in File Explorer but after going to sleep new additions don't show up in the Photos Metro app. Not that its a big deal at the moment because I can go to the desktop to view photos if necessary.

Same thing above has happened with the Xbox Videos app. Again not a big deal really, I can view videos using File Explorer. But wish it just worked better. Hopefully 8.1 will make Windows 8 what it should have been in the first place.

So far I'm loving the tablet. With no major gripes about anything. Still getting use to the gestures that do so much more than what I could do on the iPad. The only real gripes I have are with some apps but given the infancy of Windows 8, its not that big of a deal.

The main one I have at the moment is there is no decent app for reading EPUP and MOBI books that I've found. I have several DRM free books and at present you can't side-load the Kindle Windows 8 app and there is no file association setup to for MOBI files to find the Kindle Win8 app. You can open EPUP in the Nook app by swiping from the bottom and opening a file and while you can read an epub file like that it doesn't save it to your Nook local library nor will it save your place nor can you even make a bookmark. So that makes it pretty much a useless feature of the app.

I've resorted to downloading the Kindle for PC app (meant for Windows 7/Vista/XP) and installing it to the desktop. I can add MOBI files to its library and use the desktop reader there. Its unfortunate that MS own Metro Reader app doesn't support Epubs otherwise I'd use it much like I did iBooks on the iPad. Hopefully Amazon will update the Windows 8 Kindle app to be as fully featured as its iPad app or even its Windows 7 PC app.

Other than a few nit-pick gripes with apps or Windows 8, its been a great experience. I love the Metro/Modern UI and the flexibility the Atom CPU gives me over something like an ARM based tablet. Definitely well worth the money I paid.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. alitech

alitech Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone had problems installing Office 2010 on the Latitude 10? I copied over the install package onto the desktop and run it, its starts extracting the files but then just disappears, nothing else happens. Has anyone seen this activity when installing office? I have Windows 8 (not pro) version with a 4 cell battery.

5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here goes nothing... Windows 8.1! (Upgrade)

Fingers crossed. back in an hour or so. :) (Please don't blow up, please don't blow up)

Update:

"We couldn't install Windows 8.1"
    0x101 - 0x20017

Yay that went well. Pants.

I'll wait. (Could be the firewall blocking .exe transfers so will look into that)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  6. phinphan

phinphan Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone ever postaed or figured out how to remove the latches from the xps 10 keyboard dock? Lots of people have asked and no one has ever posted instructions. I was able to remove the back of the keyboard but I cannot get at the latch retention mechaniism. I am afraid that I will just break the plastic around the latching mechanism.

7. newtabletguy

Installed it here without issue on Win8Pro, however, installed it off a CD. Installation went normally (all in desktop mode).

8. newtabletguy

Does anyone know how to disable Intel's stupid "display power saving technology" nonsense which from all my research is the reason for the screen brightness issue on the latitude 10. Already disabled the ambient light sensor but that isn't the issue. The issue is literally that the brightness changes as you scroll and in some cases it appears to be flickering. This is most noticeable when the screen is dimmed towards the minimum brightness (for use at night)

The intel graphics and media control panel supposedly has an advanced mode on some systems but I can't find it anywhere on the lat10.

Already upgraded to A06 and corresponding drivers...

Any help appreciated...

9. phinphan

phinphan Pen Pal - Newbie

A number of people, including me, asked how to do this. I figured out a way to do it tonight. Here are some pictures and a description.

The slot the tablet sits in has a black interior. The black interior has a back of felt, a middle plastic piece and a front of felt. The key is to remove the middle plastic piece. I used a metal pry tool from a cell phone repair kit I bought on ebay. I was able to slide the tool in between the junction of the plastic and felt at the front of the slot by coming from the back. I started in the middle. Here is a picture of the tool in the area:
    Pic1.jpg

Here the piece is coming out.

pic2.jpg

Once you get that piece out, you can remove the three black screws that hold the back of the slot in place and remove the back. Once removed there are 4 screws that hold the stationary brackets in place. Remove those screws and tilt out the piece and the screws all at once. I could not figure out how to remove the sliding locking brackets without further dis assembly so I just broke them off with a pair of pliers. Worked for me. Hope this helps.

I love the combination.

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I gave up on this one and have the brightness level set 1 above minimum... The flicker is pretty damn horrible!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.