Dell Latitude 10

Discussion in 'Dell' started by excalibur1814, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nachocheese1022

Nachocheese1022 Pen Pal - Newbie

2. AlunReynolds

AlunReynolds Scribbler - Standard Member

I have very specific needs for my tablet. I like to take notes using the stylus in meetings and I am an artist so I like drawing on it.

I couldn't find a case which also held the Latitude at the right angle for either handwriting/drawing or using the on-screen keyboard. So, I made one.

The case is constructed out of foam board covered on one side by a vinyl faux leather and on the inside by nu-suede.

Latitude Case 1.jpg

As you can see, when closed it looks like a conventional wrapover cover.

Open it up and you can see the tablet secured by an elastic strap.

Latitude Case 2.jpg

Once the tablet is removed the cover re-folds into a wedge shape which is at about 15 degrees and I find perfect for note taking without having to hold the tablet with my left hand.

There are two rotating catches under the securing flap. Rotate these:

Latitude Case 6.jpg

And two of the end flaps become a single stiff form. This makes the wedge shape steeper (about 25 degrees). This I find perfect for using the on-screen keyboard.

There is also a pocket for the stylus.

Latitude Case 4.jpg

The whole thing was hand made and hand stiched. But if there is enough interest I will do a production run of them. They should fit any 10.1 inch tablet.

Opinions?

3. pappyxmas

pappyxmas Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for the long delay in answering, been buried at work and haven't been on any for a couple of weeks, just now catching up on things.
    Anyway, in case no one else answered and you still want to know, the stand snaps on snuggly and does not interfere with the Windows button. I've never had any issues with it at all and use it to prop the tab up during meets so I can refer to spreadsheets, etc.

4. d8smt

d8smt Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, greetings from the UK.

I've just bought a Latitude 10 tablet from Outlet, it's currently on its way to me, although as yet I haven't seen one since Dell don't sell via any retail outlets in the UK - only directly. So I read with interest the thread with the XPS10 keyboard Dock since I'm looking for a good solution for it - over here in the UK, seems like the only option available is the Kensington Folio expert.. A couple of questions therefore if I might:

1. from what I think I am reading here from Steve et al, the XPS10 keyboard dock is a good fit to the Latitude 10 (presumably same formfactor) with the exception of just having to remove the latching keys? However does this also mean all the peripheral stuff on the keyboard also works (USB, extra power, etc)? Also how secure in the keyboard dock when folded down ?

2. If so, can you please let me know where best to get the XPS10 keyboard dock for the prices you are quoting? Only place here in the UK to get then is from Dell directly for $250+ !

many thanks

DS

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  5. BK_NC

BK_NC Pen Pal - Newbie

Took the plunge on a Windows 8 tablet last night. Had considered waiting until Christmas and the arrival of Bay Trail tablets but price is always a consideration on my budget along with the fact my tablet for the last 3yrs has been a 1st gen iPad which I'm really tired of both its slowness and its iOS UI. What I found this week I couldn't pass up.

Dell Business Outlet Coupons - Lattitude 10 Essential Tablet 64GB SSD, 2G RAM, Intel Atom z2760 1.8GHz $266 FS 07-30-2013 - Slickdeals.net

While this thread on Slick Deals is titled about the Essentials tablet, I was able to use the 25% off code in the Dell Outlet on the middle model Refurbished Dell Latitude 10 that has the swappable battery and Wacom digitizer with 64GB ssd but doesn't include the pen. Got it for $340 after tax. The promo code is good through today and they still have some of the $419 (before the 25% off) models last I looked.

I had almost pulled the trigger earlier this week on a used Samsung ATIV 500T for $320 or a used Surface RT 32GB w/ Touch Cover for $299 (love the Surface RT hardware design with Touch/Type covers) but I'm glad I waited. The Dell gives me the best of both. A 10" form factor with a nice hardware design (like the Surface RT) and a Wacom digitizer (like the Samsung ATIV). Plus a 1yr Warranty the others didn't have for only $40 more.

I'm curious about one thing before my tablet arrives, is it true from any of your experiences, that it is best when updating a Windows 8 tablet to first run Windows Update on the desktop BEFORE running any updates via the Windows Store. I recall this being mentioned in YouTube video I watched a while back when researching Windows 8 tablets but can't find that particular video again.

Also, I need a pen since its not listed in the accessories with my refurbished one. I'm thinking of getting a Wacom Bamboo Feel. Any problems with this pen on this tablet for anyone? One thing I like about it is the clip on the pen that will aid in securing it to the pen loop on the Poetic Hardback case I plan to get.

Thanks for any advice and feedback.

6. 9v9

9v9 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the heads up! I already own one but this is going to be a neat way of making someone's birthday gift special:thumbsup:

Here's what I did when I got mine>
    1. Turned it on made sure it was working no internet connections yet and skipped windows set up without updating ect. Turned it off.
    2. Booted into the BIOS and set up the proper configuration for my needs and checked to make sure what version of the bios it was using in my case A03.
    3. Saved my config and booted into windows, went straight to the desktop and into internet explorer to get to dells site to download the service tag reader active x component. Let it scan and find the recent driver updates.
    4. The most important one I installed first was the BIOS update...plug in your power cord and exit all applications and run the utility. After that flashes install your chipset drivers and any other missing and optional features.
    5. Now I went to Wacoms site to get the latest drivers [TABLET PC – Enhanced Tablet Driver 7.1.1-12] and installed that.
    6. Now after all those were taken care of I then proceeded to update windows, and it will take quite some time we're talking 400+mb's. After many restarts you should be ok in that department.
    One problem I noticed after all this is I could not use my serial to add features to windows 8, kept shooting out an error code. This may or may not be a problem for you as some ppl would like Windows Media Center on their device.
    I hate metro but i did use the store after this with no hiccups...removed all the useless tiles, customized my system and removed Softthinks agent, WisLMsvc and a few others as I do not wish to use the stupid dell backup utility (resource hog) and also used Ninite to install a few apps I like including classic shell to get a start menu.
    Mine came with a pen...the wrong one (they want 50$!!? for one from their site) So I ordered one from Amazon that is used for the Samsung series 7 slate...and I am waiting on different nibs because this gorilla glass is a bit more slippery than I would like it to be.

I can go in depth further but i think that should help answer your question:eek:

7. BK_NC

BK_NC Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Have you had any problems with battery drain while its in sleep mode. There seem to be a lot of problems in the Samsung Ativ 500T forums because of the last BIOS from Samsung causing massive battery drain while in sleep mode. I haven't seen threads like that on the Dell yet, but I was still a bit weary of updating the BIOS when I get it.

I'm actually looking forward to the Metro interface. I've played around with it a lot in stores the last several months and really dig it. For me personally, its a refreshing change from using my 1st gen iPad all these years. I first got hooked on Metro with the 1st gen Windows 7 Phone with a Samsung Focus. Loved that phone and the UI. But summer last year when I was eligible for an upgrade, my wife talked me into getting an iPhone 4s. Big mistake for me. I should have waited at the time on the Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8 because I've hated my iPhone and its tiny screen. iOS is just totally stale to me now. One thing I learned with the iPad and iPhone is I'm not a huge app user so whatever lack there may be currently in the Windows Store isn't really a big deal to me and as a bonus the Dell Latitude 10 is x86 compatible.

Thanks again for the advice. If I hit any snags I'll be sure to ask for some help here.

8. 9v9

9v9 Pen Pal - Newbie

For me no problems in sleep and battery draining, but it all depends on how you use windows because it's just an advanced hibernation feature to me. I can leave mine on the table out of the dock with the power on and the screen off for about a day and a half if need be. I have mine tweaked tho so there aren't any useless services running. I use 30% memory and 1% ram in that dark state, otherwise I shut it off as it boots up quickly.
    Metro isn't for everyone, in my case I leave it for the camera app but in your case the battery life will differ because you will be getting updates from your apps like weather and twitter ect over wifi. [Offtopic]I'm not going to try to bash iPhone or Ipad but there are tools for everything and some ppl enjoy the simple approach...but for me I can't fathom the stupidity it takes for me to even pull something as simple as a photo/video/song off those damn things without having to install iTunes/ibrowser/i this and i that every time, or have to jailbreak it to have better functionality. Or better yet there is only ONE true button and it's always the back button, so in order to stop apps from taking up memory you have to turn off the phone? My girlfriend has a 4, she is always asking me "But can't i do this? Can't I theme that?" and I have to tell her with that look on my face like "No, Apple does not like you to think for yourself...there's no app for that."
    Back on topic let me know if there are other questions, I use mine everyday for emulating, watching movies, drawing, and writing. So if there is something you would like to be aware of I can test it :hi2:

9. ElAguila

ElAguila Scribbler - Standard Member

Is this the dock you are talking about? I wanted to make sure before I start browsing ebay for one.
    Dell XPS 10 Mobile Keyboard Dock : Computer Accessories | Dell

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  10. 9v9

9v9 Pen Pal - Newbie

^
    Not to hijack the thread but after reading above about how the XPS uses the same dock connector as the latitude 10, I was wondering if anyone has ANY information about finding the pinout for the 40-pin connector. If there is such a dongle for it I would like to know as well. Any help appreciated thank you! Dell 40.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.