Dell Latitude 10

Discussion in 'Dell' started by excalibur1814, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter32

peter32 Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried to install K-lite video Codec (standard version) but managed to only achieve improved results towards lesser sized video files.

I chanced upon this input from the user Breed, and I quote: ' .... I would avoid codec packs like the plague. A very simple solution to get DXVA working in Media Player Classic is simply to tell it to use the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder instead of ffmpeg (which has issues with most Intel GPU's)

In MPC-HC, go to View -> Options and go to External Filters at the side. Click Add Filter and select 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'. Click OK and then click 'Prefer' on the right hand side. Restart MPC.

Your HD videos (all the way up to 1080p) should now all play using hardware acceleration. Nice and smooth - no messing about with codec packs. Subtitles work too. '

I tried his method and I confirm that my MPC-HC plays network video full 1080p file really smoothly. So it is really the codec problem, not network bottleneck issue. With this changes, the cpu usage only tip at around 7-8% usage when playing full HD mkv files ! Which of course is great . Any software decoding method will push the cpu usage to 70-76% immediately.

Now I have this problems:

1. I noticed that the above method does not play MP4 file as smooth as the MKV. Not sure if anyone can solve the problem on high resolution mp4 files.

2. XBMC is still having problem decoding video files. Is there any way we can choose the video codec to truly enabling the hardware decoding ? I have tried to enable the DXVA, with or without DXVA2 with little improvement.

2. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

How do you guys set the CPU to run at 1.8GHz under all conditions? Setting the minimum clock speed used to be an option is the "power options" part of the control panel, but that is missing. Is this an Atom Clovetrail issue or a Windows 8 issue?

3. peter32

peter32 Pen Pal - Newbie

Mind sharing which HID driver is for touch screen functionality? Thanks. I am sure graphic artist would love to know.

4. Aerobat

Aerobat Pen Pal - Newbie

By way of update, mine still can't wake from sleep,can't shut down without hanging, has no sound, and the HID devices stop from time to time. The shutdown issue prevents the OS refresh from working.

Dell support wanted to send me a Win8 CD, which I refused, then the rep wanted to send me a hard drive, not even knowing it's a SSD soldered to the mainboard. So now someone is going to come to my house to do something or other. They refused to replace this half-baked attempt at a tablet. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement.

5. mios2

mios2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I’ve received my Latitude and used it for 12 days. Here are my impressions (bad, good and about digitizer):

BAD:
    -A little crack when pressing the border between camera and SD card
    -You may accidentally remove the SD card (it is near the power button)
    -No pen silo
    -When configured to lock screen after 15 minutes (it is not possible to specify more time), after resuming, the black screen with Dell logo appears some seconds, I slide the start Screen and a solid color screen appears during some seconds. Next I can enter my picture password. I noticed this after installing the latest Patch Tuesday updates. When tablet is configured to do not lock, everything is immediate. MS problem?
    -IE10 back button: It always reloads the page (specially slow for heavy pages like the verge)

GOOD:
    -Stability/drivers: I haven’t experienced any of the issues that I’ve previously read in this forum (latest updates including bios A03)
    -Very responsive considering that this has an Atom processor
    -Good enough battery (I’ve posted my data here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/54957-dell-latitude-10-battery-life.html#post316193)
    -Screen: Very bright (even at 20%)

DIGITIZER: I’m comparing Dell Latitude 10 with my old tablet HP Elitebook 2730p
    -Calibration: Similar drift around the borders (1 cm approx.) However, as Latitude screen is smaller, the usable inking area is lower in Latitude.
    -Inking OneNote: No lag as in Elitebook. The pen slides more than Elitebook, but it is very good for writing, even for people not used to write in a screen
    -Inking PDF Reader (metro): Very laggy, as usual in other PDF readers
    -Pen: Looks cheap, but can be held better than Elitebook pen. Button works better.
    -Clicking using the pen: You have press harder than Elitebook. It is not a pen issue, as the pressure is the same when using the Elitebook’s pen.

6. Rommie2k6

I find all these posts about Atom is fast to be outright misleading. I am returning a Samsung ATIV, and Atom is SLOW SLOW SLOW.

If you just write A WORD on Onenote, and if your notebooks are ONE PAGE then yes, performance is acceptable. But if you really use OneNote like I do, the lag is noticeable. For example, a 10-page printed journal can't even scroll properly without lag. You have to scroll very slowly, or else you will get lag or a white screen, because the CPU is simply NOT FAST ENOUGH to render the images.

An honest assessment of Clovetrail Atom is that it passes acceptable performance, but just barely. Indeed this is a step up from the 2011 Atom ZXXX series which was completely UNUSABLE... but please let's not kid ourselves, even Clovertrail is SLOW.

7. mios2

mios2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Performance is always dependent on the expected usage. Here are my informal benchmarks:

I’ve more than 100 OneNote sections (mostly handwritten), perhaps more than 1000 pages

I did some tests and I have found that OneNote (2013) is smooth when managing pages up to 6 printed pages length (handwritten text). In portrait mode: fast scrolling is smooth. Good when inserting blank space in the middle. Lasso selection for small sections ok. Writing at the middle and at the end is also ok.

With a 11 printed pages handwritten text, portrait mode: scrolling stutters the first time just after opening the page, after few seconds the page has been loaded in memory and scroll becomes mostly fine (not always). But there are frequent lags (e.g. when changing to another page). Sometimes the system hangs for seconds. In this case OneNote is consuming 25% CPU (just one core).

-A 100 pages word document opens in 3-4 more seconds than an empty document, fast scrolling is fine.

-First time that I open a metro app is slow in windows 8. Opening apps in the Latitude 10 is faster than my i5 laptop (with a hybrid HDD).

8. Rommie2k6

This is very true, but even after you have scrolled through the entire document and loaded it to memory, the scrolling is not smooth. Your informal performance evaluation is not representative of my experience. I suspect that either your printouts are very simple (i.e. very few words per page) or you are not scrolling fast enough. By fast, I mean the maximum speed you can achieve, i.e. use your finger to flick through pages as fast as you can. That means scrolling from page 1 to 10 in 2-3 seconds and seeing everything.

I have tested OneNote 2013 on Atom using a typical 6-10 page journal article, it contains lots of text and pictures and the lag is definitely noticeable, if you need to scroll fast. At the max speed, all I see is white pages because the CPU is simply TOO slow. Comparing to a Core i desktop, the text still appears (but it is blurred). For Atom, CPU usage spikes to 100% at clocks to 1.8GHz, indicating the the CPU does not have sufficient power to render the images in time.

FYI, my test were performed at 150% zoom. I did notice that zooming out does improve the performance somewhat, but the words are too small to read comfortably at that level.

Lastly, I do not know if you've noticed this, but there is noticeable lag for the words to sharpen whenever you load a new page (especially at high zoom). The initial loading will be a somewhat blurry image of the page, then 1-2 seconds later (or more), the text will sharpen.

To be fair, this may not be an Atom issue entirely. OneNote performance has always been ****ty compared to normal PDF readers. It's appalling that after ONE DECADE there is still no performance improvement in OneNote.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  9. iamaven

iamaven Pen Pal - Newbie

You're also not comparing the same products. You came into the dell Latitude thread to complain about the implementation of atom on your samsung, which I have seen several complaints of speed about. You have to compare red apples to red apples, not red apples to green apples to be fair.

Its also strange you note ntrig as a return reason on another thread. I just think you weren't happy with the product you bought.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  10. AlunReynolds

AlunReynolds Scribbler - Standard Member

At max speed scrolling, what were you expecting? Even if the pages contained text, you wouldn't be able to read it because it would be scrolling at, errr, max speed.

I suppose you could have supersight and be able to read text at less than a page per second.

This slate is probably not the fastest in the world, probably not the sexiest looking, probably not got the sharpest graphics, probably not got the best rendering of video at HD, probably doesn't have the best digitiser and it is probably not quite as light in weight as some. In fact like most general purpose tools, it is sub-perfect at everything it does. But, you know what? For everything I want to do it does a good enough job for a slate of the size and weight that it is.

Looks to me like some buyers didn't do enough research on the product. Buyers regret, always a pernicious thing. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.