Dell Latitude 10 - Windows 8.1 post update issues

Discussion in 'Dell' started by iamaven, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamaven

iamaven Pen Pal - Newbie

I went through the Windows 8.1 update and everything appears to be working, however under "devices and printers" I have a large number of "unspecified devices". A couple of these are printers, both real and virtual like the XPS printer driver. I tried removing the devices and drivers and readding them but they still show up as unspecified.

I ran the hardware troubleshooter and the following devices are not installed, so I think this is related:
    Camera Sensor MT9E013
    Intel SD Host Controller
    Standard EHCI-compliant Host Controller
    Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor Z2760 i2C Controller
    Camera Sensor IMX175

Most of the devices listed under here are long unique identifiers that all contain "\Provider%5CMicrosoft.Base.DevQueryObjects//DDO" in the description. Some show "0 documents in queue" so I know which are the printers.

I have not found a method for removing these to see if I could have them readded properly.

Has anyone updated to 8.1 on their Latitude 10 that does not have "unspecified" devices or that the hardware troubleshooter is not identifying issues and missing components? :confused:

2. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can you get a hardware ID number, this usually allows you to at least identify the device other than the name. Maybe it is only one or two devices that are wreaking havoc with others. I don't have a Latitude 10 to check unfortunately. Try getting the Z2760 chipset drivers from Dell's site and reinstall them.

Create a restore point before you do anything, just in case.

3. iamaven

iamaven Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried reinstalling the chipset drivers, removing the previous ones and disabling automatic download of drivers beforehand also. There isn't a hardware ID number like I would expect to see and nothing is showing up as unknown in device manager. I also tried searching the registry for any partial instances of the HEX IDs presented, but could not find any partial matches.

I'm not really concerned about wiping and reloading the OS as I have many times already as this is more of a test machine for me and doesn't have any data.

My guess is like many of the other cloverleaf tablets, the drivers just aren't out there.

4. Tom Meach

Tom Meach Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the exact same issue and found a more up to date chipset driver fixed the issue mostly. Go to Dell FTP site and you will find a more up to date driver. ftp://ftp.dell.com/published/Pages/index.html
    It fixed the issue of seeing the devices, but I am still having Bluetooth issues.

5. iamaven

iamaven Pen Pal - Newbie

I reinstalled Windows 8 as the loss of bluetooth wasn't worth keeping 8.1. I'll wait until Dell has the full driver set figured out.

6. ElAguila

ElAguila Scribbler - Standard Member

I am having a strange issue and I wasn't sure whether to post it here or start a separate thread. Since upgrading to 8.1I have noticed that at least half of the time when I wake up the screen instead of going to the login screen it starts the rear camera and there is an unlock button on the lower left screen and I have to press that icon to get into my machine. I and scanned it with Norton, Malawarebytes and spybot search and destroy. Came clean each time. Any ideas what in the heck is causing this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

7. clapclap

clapclap Pen Pal - Newbie

That's just the Windows 8 lock screen camera. It comes on when you swipe down (instead of up) in the lock screen. You can turn it off in settings.

8. Tom Meach

Tom Meach Pen Pal - Newbie

With a recent Windows update all my Bluetooth issues are resolved. Is anyone else seeing that the white light on top by the power button does not go out now when the tablet is in sleep mode? Had this same issue when I had installed the Wacom drivers. Also seems to be faster battery drain than before 8.1.

9. iamaven

iamaven Pen Pal - Newbie

10. iamaven

iamaven Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm happy to report everything appears to be working now with the new drivers.

After 8.1 completed and rebooted there were only unknown devices in the "devices and printers" control panel. After I installed the updated drivers and rebooted, there was about 5 unknown devices and 3 known devices, but the unknown devices indicated a reboot was needed to complete their installation in the "status" message.

I rebooted again and now everything is identified and working.