Dell Inspiron 15 - 7000 - 15.6" Wacom AES!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by thatcomicsguy, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Silvally

Silvally Pen Pal - Newbie

Joined to chime in on this; I just got a 7579 and can confirm that there are two different versions, one that is compatible with tablet pens (e.g. Bamboo Ink) and one that is not. I took my laptop to Best Buy yesterday to test it with their display bamboo ink styli and it simply didn't work (except for connecting Bluetooth, but that wasn't helpful).

twospirits likes this.
  2. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

I suppose it figures: my 7568 touch screen digitizer stopped working three weeks out of warranty. I see there are replacement screens available but at prices ranging from $140 - $300, and considering I paid $400 for the laptop, I think I will just retire the laptop as a pen-abled device. I'm having a really bad run of pen display equipment failures: I hope the trend ends.

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bummer.

I guess we got what we paid for. :(

4. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah

5. sarahb

sarahb Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, bit of newbie here.. I recently bought one of the new Dell Inspirons with the pen technology but mine, however, didn't come with one. I've been searching the internet for hours trying to find one that's compatible with the i5 15-7975 but haven't had any luck. I came across the wacom pens but I don't know which one would be compatible with my laptop. Any advice and options for pens would be helpful. Thanks!!

6. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

[​IMG]
    You have to go to Device Manager and have a look at Mouse and HID devices. If there is a HID input mouse, then look for digitizer name, The above is from my Cube Mix Plus. I want to buy an imported 7568 here but they don't allow me to check this before hand so I am stuck with 10.6 in real-estate

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

To my knowledge, the 7568 is the only model which supports Wacom AES. Any other model number does not.

However, I've not run across any indication that the 7568 will *not* work with the Wacom pen, (unless it's damaged).

My own personal experience with this computer was spotty; it had other hardware bugs which one or two others on the web also reported. (The pen stopped working when the computer was in tablet-mode.) That, combined with the fact that AES is a so-so technology left me unable to strongly recommend this model.

In this case, I got what I paid for.

okieiam likes this.
  8. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you for your sharing. How ever for new bee, I think, Wacom AES is suitable. As you see for this specific model there are 53 pages of opinion from veteran to newcomer mixed.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

Well, I got a lot of decent work done on it, and other than the bugs, it really performed. (I replaced the spinner in it with an SSD, and that made Windows startup times around 11 seconds, and it flew easily through most tasks).

Mainly, it was a pleasure to have something with real battery life, CPU power and good build qualities. The screen is excellent! -Unlike my previous and very old Tablet PC, I found myself using the Dell a lot more often and easily; it fit perfectly into my backpack. My older computer is too clunky and heavy for quick use, and with a poor battery life, I'm always tethered. I still use it a lot, but mostly in situations where I can set up at a desk. The Dell and these newer, lighter tablet models are greatly improved in terms of portable use and I really noticed the difference.

Most people didn't have any trouble with the 7568, so if you get a properly working one and you don't mind the AES, it ought to serve well.

okieiam and WillAdams like this.
  10. sarahb

sarahb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the help. Turns out my laptop doesn't have these, if I knew this I wouldn't have bought it. Any good options for non-software driven pens?