Dell Inspiron 15 - 7000 - 15.6" Wacom AES!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by thatcomicsguy, Apr 30, 2016.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Stompbox You should also keep in mind that larger devices are sometimes too big for economy seats on trains and airplanes. On cramped flights I've often had to butt the Surface Pro 4's keyboard up against my belly in order to be able to tilt the screen to the right viewing angle. Just opening and rotating a 15.6 inch convertible laptop can be an adventure in economy class.

Stompbox likes this.
  2. Stompbox

Stompbox Pen Pal - Newbie

@surfaceproartist thankyou, that's sound advice. I think I should probably start out on the train with the ep121 first for a bit and then go from there. I don't want to be ejected from the train by my fellow commuters with the inspiron wrapped around my head.

One of the things with this new job is it's public service and they have salary packaging as an incentive, and you can put money pre-tax towards a laptop. So I'm wanting to make use of that benefit, if you like as part of the trade off for the con of travel time on public transport. The idea of a larger stylus tablet has always appealed, and the 7568 because they seem such good value. But @Marty makes an excellent point about EMR vs AES.

Thanks for the warm welcome @Marty. I was a long time lurker in the ep121 sub-forum. Thankyou also for the real estate comparison images. I understand the top one but not the bottom one, OH WAIT I JUST GOT IT! The bottom one is a 12.5" compared with the 15.6", right? Are there any particular 12.5" tablets you would recommend are worth looking into?

Another thought that comes to mind is perhaps I should use the ep121 on the train and salary package a beast laptop to use at home as a desktop replacement. There was a monster lenovo I think mentioned in this thread but now I can't find it. A desktop would be good but leveraging the tax incentive on a beast laptop might be an idea (the salary packaging is specifically able to be used for a laptop, not desktop.)

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm currently using the old faithful ep121 as my home computer (shameful I know).
    I would be using the desktop replacement laptop for shooting stop motion in Dragonframe and some after effects, video editing, that type of thing. No 3D I don't think. It would not necessarily need stylus, although it might be neat to have it for grease pencil planning in Dragonframe - but this would not need to be EMR. So a bit of grunt would be good and large screen, with option to plug in another 2. Anyway thoughts advice and comment welcome. I'd be interested in good value for horsepower rather than most costly monster.

3. LakeWorthB

LakeWorthB Pen Pal - Newbie

I just picked up one of these 7568 laptops second hand, and the stylus is super jumpy. If I go in certain spots it jumps from the middle of the screen to the top of screen, also the hover doesn't work very good. Is this screen broken? Should I just return it or talk to Dell?

Thanks.

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If the cursor jumps from one part of the screen to another, it's likely defective. Make sure to update the firmware and pen driver and install fresh batteries. If it still happens, return it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You guys know that the new 7000 series Inspirons are now back to having pen digitizers right? Dell switched to MPP to save cost.

6. Breddy

Breddy Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks much for the update on Dell 2-in-1 digitizer, was patiently waiting for this. But looks like 7579 series is on clearance.. Continued to the next version? (given prev experience with 7568 vs 7569)..

If any one has purchased and used this, reviews on digitizer would be greatly helpful. Thanks!

twospirits likes this.
  7. Shogmaster

The MPP Inspirons are new. Came into BB system end of last month.

twospirits likes this.
  8. twospirits

twospirits Scribbler - Standard Member

The BestBuy site shows both Models I7579-5588GRY-PUS and I7579-7595GRY-PUS with the Bamboo Ink as an accessory.

What's pretty odd is what shows up on the Dell site. If one goes to the Inspiron 2 & 1 link..
    Products--> Laptops--> Inspiron: For Home and Home Office--> View All Inspiron 700 Series--> Scroll down to Inspiron 15 7000 2-in-1
    or directly at link http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7579-2-in-1-laptop
    out of the 4 Inspiron 15 7000 2-in-1 configurations on there, only 2 of them show the Dell Active Pen PN338M as an available accessory. So does that mean the other two configurations do not have a pen enabled digitizer?

The 1st one # dncwsbb0013h does not show an active pen in the accessories list.
    The 2nd one # dncwsbb0013sb does.
    The 3rd one # fncwsbb0019s does not. and
    The 4th one # dncwsbb0019sb does.

except for price, more memory (8GB vs 12GB), more processor cache (3M vs 4M) and a bigger Solid state Drive (256GB vs 512GB), everything shows the same except the Active Pen showing up in the accessories section for #2 and 4 above. So odd.

9. Shogmaster

The Dell active pen is NOT compatible with these new MPP Inspirons. MPP = NTrig. Dell Active pen is Wacom AES. Like I said, Dell switch all lower price pen stuff like Inspiron to MPP, keeping AES for high end stuff only, like XPS.

Best Buy is selling Bamboo Ink with everything because it's dual protocol. The pen works with both AES and MPP touch panels.

twospirits likes this.
  10. twospirits

twospirits Scribbler - Standard Member

Good to know, thanks for the clarifying that. Hope folks don't buy that pen on Dell thinking it will work.