Dell Inspiron 15 - 7000 - 15.6" Wacom AES!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by thatcomicsguy, Apr 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What was the point of the vertical freehand lines you drew towards the end of the video? I didn't see the underlying vertical waves that seemed apparent in your screengrab.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

They're there.

Freeze frame at 2:43-ish. I uploaded at full HD to provide as much data as possible. Look at the image full screen. It is a subtle effect, but like the 3D donkeys and dolphins in those uncross-your-eyes posters, you'll see them.

3. surfaceproartist

Here's my test on the i7 Dell with the Bamboo Smart pen. Admittedly, I don't (can't) draw the long lines slowly enough.

The greater wobble in the top left is partially due to my starting and stopping to avoid the toolbars along with funky hand placement. (It would never have occurred to me to use a physical ruler on a display tablet.)

[​IMG]

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sigh, are we really doing this guys? Then at least do 45 degree lines to maximize the wobble.

5. surfaceproartist

Oops. My bad. But if there was vertical banding like on @thatcomicsguy's system, wouldn't they appear here too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'll bet that this happens when he is plugged in. I'll bet that he is having the same staic interference that im having with mine. It happens in same location. It's fine on batteries which imo means that tiny psu is not shielded well and letting electrical noise come through.

7. surfaceproartist

Crap. I didn't think to do this test while plugged in.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

No, mine was on battery. And it looks WAY worse than yours. (Though, you need to go slow in order for it to really show up.)

Still, mine is not nearly as bad as the Surface Book, which I just tried the test on today at a box store, (without a ruler, but still, I was drawing with a steady hand). Check it out:

SurfaceBook-line-test.jpg
    AES seems to lend itself to this particular brand of lameness.

But if your Dell is as clean as it appears, then I'm going to have to start thinking seriously about how to get myself a better machine!

Do you think the Bamboo stylus was a contributing factor? That's a whole lot less costly than replacing a whole damned computer. Can you try again at a slower speed just to make sure? The lines don't have to cover the whole screen, but be more tightly packed. I just need to know exactly how screwed I am. If this is a common reality, then there's no point in chasing around after new hardware, but if my machine is not the norm, then I'm going to have to start hunting.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  9. surfaceproartist

I think the soft nib on the Bamboo may have added a level of stability to my strokes. What pen are you using? The Dell Active Pen?

10. surfaceproartist

So this one's with the Dell pen and I made sure I was drawing at a 45 degree incline. Zoom was set to pixel size. I find this test so tedious and the ruler slides all over unless I draw at a fair clip, so you more patient types should probably invalidate my results. The darker strokes on the top left and bottom right are my normal drawing speed.

[​IMG]