Dell Inspiron 15 - 7000 - 15.6" Wacom AES!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by thatcomicsguy, Apr 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're right. I was drawing too rapidly. Not only does speed affect wobble, but pressure as well. The lighter the slow stroke, the more it jitters.

On the other hand, I'm not seeing that vertical band of distortion you seem to have. That does appear to be a defect.

2. surfaceproartist

@thatcomicsguy The FantaStick stand featured in those Japanese videos looks really useful. Amazon Japan offers it for sale, but I can't find it here.

3. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow. That's really bad! Pretty sure this would be a deal breaker for me. Interested to see if it can get fixed.

4. surfaceproartist

It may be hard to believe, but it really looks much worse than it is in practice. Even if you don't draw your strokes as quickly as I do, turning up the brush stabilization to 15 (CSP offers as high as 99) resolves the jitter without introducing too much delay.

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

That's at surface pro 3 level when it comes to pen jitter.

6. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

In my experience with the TPY14, the AES "jitter" demonstrated here ended up being a deal breaker for my slower drawing style even with heavy Manga Studio/CSP stabilization. The smoothing helped eliminate the most obvious jitter, but because it's less of a random noise issue and more of an integral hardware resolution issue, I would get broader inaccuracies compared to EMR in two (almost polar opposite) scenarios:
    • Making clean curves drawn at relatively slow speed (the smaller jitters smooth into broader "humps" in a line)
    • Handwriting at typical/fast speed (odd hooks and reduced resolution for smaller characters)
    The first one could be adjusted for over time, but the second ended up being too problematic for me. I'm holding out for a gen 2 of this tech, where hopefully Wacom (and Microsoft/N-trig) integrate a digitizer with a finer pitch to greatly reduce this issue and give us the best of both AES and EMR worlds.

Selofain and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'd have to agree.

Wacom fixed response time with their version of AES, which was a main point of contention when looking at N-Trig devices. I want lines to appear when I draw them.

Dell fixed screen size, which was my other big reason for hesitating in the past. 15.6" is a good size.

Jitter... Well, I bought blind and I'd assumed that Wacom had also solved jitter issues. Obviously not.

That being said, Wacom's AES is very close. Maybe just another iteration away. (Maybe? This does put them in the position of still being able to hawk their EMR Cintiq brand in a market flooding with tablet PC alternatives. I half wonder if they held back a bit when engineering their AES solution.)

As for now, I can work on this thing when doing pencils without worrying, and with stabilization and other cursor hacks turned on, inking is also quite doable. -Though it does appear to take a little more work to get through an illustration because I'm having to put in extra attention and repetitions to get the lines I want.

But I'm not going back to my old Tecra M4. The stylus experience on that was smoother and more reliable, but there's too much value in the various modern tech advancements in terms of size, weight, memory and battery life, etc.

It's a bit like changing from a smooth paper to a slightly grainier paper which worries the pen nib and must be adjusted for. I've worked on heavy tooth papers before and found they require more effort, didn't like them as much, but the final product looks the same.

In the end, drawing comics is still the job and Dell allows me to get it done.

If somebody makes a better digitizer with the features I want, I'll be interested. Until then, this will do. Heck, this is the *only* one which will do. I'd rather use a twelve year-old machine than give up even an inch of canvas size. I can draw on rough paper, but only if you give me enough of it!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    surfaceproartist likes this.
  8. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

But isn't AES better implemented in other devices? (E.g. some Surface clones)

9. surfaceproartist

Better implemented? I don't think so. It's possible that the jitter is more noticeable on the larger display; but I haven't attempted to compare it to smaller devices.

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Uh, wasn't aes better than my apple pencil? (Sorry, I couldn't resist)