Dell Inspiron 15 - 7000 - 15.6" Wacom AES!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by thatcomicsguy, Apr 30, 2016.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, folks, it looks like it's time for a sea change.

After years of wondering if computer manufacturers were ever going to provide the world, (and the arts community specifically) with a screen large enough to really stretch on, -and after giving up hope for the most part,.. along came Dell. Quietly. Verrry quietly.

They don't even mention on their product pages that their new 15.6" 1080p 2-in-1 folding screen device accepts stylus input. And Wacom input, at that!

It took a vigilant forum member to read through the small print describing which models the Dell Active Pen digital stylus is compatible with and come across the curious entry, "Inspiron (7568) (FHD Only) 'wake up feature not available'" -which when cross-referenced reveals...

[​IMG]

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-7568-laptop/pd?oc=dncwa0010h&l=en&s=dhs

But is it real? Does it actually work? Can you draw on the screen with a Wacom AES stylus?

Forum stalwart Shogmaster wasted no time in discovering the answer and offers the following:

The mother ship has landed.

And at an affordable price too.

Watch this thread for more info as it comes...

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (7568)

Processor: 6th Generation Intel Core i3, i5, i7
    Memory: 4GB or 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz RAM (one slot)
    Hard drive: SATA hard drive bay.
    GPU: IntelR HD Graphics 520
    Display: 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) LED-Backlit Touch Display (There is also a 4K display, but it apparently doesn't accept stylus input)
    USB Ports: USB 3.0 with PowerShare, USB 3.0, USB 2.0
    Video Out: HDMI 1.4a
    Memory Card: SD Media Card slot
    Wireless: Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 + Bluetooth 4.0
    Ethernet: No.
    Battery: 43 WHr, 3-Cell Battery (internal - user replaceable)
    Dimensions: H: 0.78" (19.9 mm) x W: 15.04" (381.9 mm) x D: 9.94" (252.5 mm)
    Weight: 4.8 lbs (2.17 Kg) with FHD touch3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    doobiedoobiedum and blackcat like this.
  2. phase IV ending

phase IV ending Pen Pal - Newbie

Would a lenovo pen pro be compatible with this? How is the Dell aes pen that's sold separate?

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, the Lenovo Thinkpad Pen Pro works, as does the Toshiba DynaPad TruPen. I have the Dell Active Pen, but it's my least favorite of the three. It's too short for me and hard to balance in my hands.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

hmm....given the size, thickness, and weight you'd really think they could have at least crammed in a discrete graphics card as a configurable option, or fit in a 2nd ram slot so this thing could hit 16GB.

But still at 15.6 inches....dare I say this is the largest Wacom (AES) Penabled Tablet PC yet. Not sure how much Resistance Wacom may given Dell, but they sure get brownie points for being the first ODM to offer this.

5. surfaceproartist

Agree. It's disappointing that there's no GPU and that you're stuck with middling specs if you want the pen. But at the price I paid, it's hard to complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. phase IV ending

phase IV ending Pen Pal - Newbie

After looking it over, looks like if bought from Dell if can be configured with the ssd for another $100 over the BB version price.

Would the ssd over the HDD make a noticeable difference with battery life or temperature?

I would be drawing the entire time in the folded tablet mode and I wonder what kind of effect that would have on temps as I suppose some vents would basically be covered by the folded over screen.

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh goody! We have a new home thread. Nicely done. :)

Guess what gang? I found a Core i7 with 1080p screen version refurb on eBay for $650 so I pulled the trigger. Let's see if the seller has his head on straight or he just mislabeled the 4K screen like an a-hole.

I think it's real deal since I found another one with the i7 and 1080p screen:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspir...259582?hash=item2a66bc8dfe:g:nFEAAOSwdGxXI554

Anyways, crossing my fingers in excitement. :D

Probably not on temps and battery life, but speed... oh man... the speed.

But this model is super easy to get to the HDD slot so just order a bigger SSD for the same $100.

8. surfaceproartist

Someone else can address heat and battery impact; I don't think so but can't say definitively. The SSD will definitely run quieter and speed up boot times and file saving, so it's a worthwhile investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm looking at this deal, (good until May 6th):

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-15-7568-laptop/pd?oc=ni157568_btsb_009e&l=en&s=dhs

Core i5, 8GB, 500 GB HD = $849 Canadian buckaroos. ($258 off the list price). Even considering the weak Canadian dollar, that's a pretty good deal up here.

Anyway I want to ask...

What do you guys think regarding styluses? Should I order one of the Dell Active Pens or seek out something else? Is there a real difference between different manufacturers in terms of performance?

Shogmaster likes this.
  10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Track down the Toshiba Dynapad Trupen. It's worth it.

If you don't mind flush barrel buttons, the Lenovo Pen Pro is the next best pen.