Dell Has Solved the Pen Storage Issue!

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jul 13, 2019.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

we are talking Microsoft....so i'm going to go with no....their mantra seems to be form over function.

soh5 likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you ask me, it comes down to the display mostly.. We haven't fully tested the Dell, but the HP with OLED was the most accurate out of the box PC laptop display we've tested. It was less than 2% off the all time accuracy champ which was the 2018 MacBook Pro 13

OTOH Dell seems to do a better job with cooling so if you really push the machine the Dell will likely be faster.

Marty likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When pushing both machines how did the fan noise compare? I will trade slightly lower clocks for silence if HP can pull it off well. :)

Also, any thoughts on relative portability? Does one feel any better in the hand in tablet mode (especially held in portrait slate / "clipboard" mode)?

4. desertlap

Tough call. I do think the HP feels better in tablet mode. Better balanced and less hard/awkward edges.

That being said, HP's primary way of dealing with thermal issues is to throttle the machine, in some cases significantly. My wife's Folio got a firmware update that fixed the heat issues but cut maximum performance by about 25%.

Like I've said we haven't fully tested the newest XPS systems. I've played with them a bit is all. Out of the box, the IPS display on the XPS look superb.

One thing I'm curious about , is how the newest XPS systems deal with storage. HP and Lenovo's newest machines tout having intel optane. The issue we saw was that they are using the optane (which is fast) in concert with slower SSDs than they put in previous versions of the systems. In casual/mild use, the optane makes the machine seem, faster, but if you do anything disk intensive like video editing or heavy database, it's noticeable performance hit.

Marty likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

6. desertlap

Yeah, over at MacRumors they are all in a tizzy about it. Intriguingly it may only be some of the drives or certain sizes. Those that bought custom builds mostly with bigger drives vs. Apple's standard SKUS are reporting different results.

Might be a SSD lottery....

7. dstrauss

ALL the OEMS - PC and Apple - now seem to be dipping their toes in the SSD lottery. My recent foray with the XPS 9575 yielded a a Toshiba 1TB, but every review I read that even discussed the SSD had a Samsung EVO; HP pulls those same shenanigans with their review unit being sure to send out Samsung parts to the reviewers. Kind of sucks if you know what I mean.

8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey Lisa came out with a review!

and she likes the pen cubby too. ;)

Surprisingly nice build quality for an Inspiron, decent port selection (no TB3 unfortunately), 4K screen, N-Trig digitizer, serviceable SSD, WiFi and 52Wh battery, all at a reasonable price.

Well done, Dell. (Please don't sue everyone if they copy you. We need more pen cubbies! :p)

9. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Those diagonal lines are *bad*

10. dstrauss

You ought to see the diagonal lines on my X1 Tablet...
    LenovoX1TabletDiagonals.jpg

Maybe it depends on your drawing hand...