Dell Canvas 27

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Jan 14, 2018.

1. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought a PC for my son with an i5/1060 for $499. I wish I would have bought 2 now. I need a GPU in the worst way for my Cintiq. Actually considering the new Ryzen APU chips but I would love a Ryzen 7 comparable model even though I know it isn't possible.

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Posted in the Off-Topic section.

Anyhow, since the post I've sort of come to the following as a possible machine. I've taken on board all comments about crazy prices for GPUs now. Same here in the UK - a new Nvidia 1080 is around £1300....

Anyhow, on topic with the Dell - on Friday I tried a couple of my older EMR pens and accuracy was about the same as with the brand new Dell (Wacom) pen. I actually prefer the weighting of the older pens though. My favourite is an older Fujitsu t4215 pen and that is around 11 years old.!

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's sweet!

I'd love to be able to use my old Penabled pens on my Cintiq. They designed those old form factors really well. Wow. That alone makes me want to put a Canvas on my drafting board. -Being able to use the same pens on both my portable and my desktop..? I could use the sloppy "Jar of pens next to my table" system again. :)

(Though, I have a feeling the S-Pen for my current portable would suffer from an offset on the Dell. Psh.)

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

Test.jpg

Can't work out how to link from Flickr to host this quick test done today on the Dell. Can't post on the TabletPC art thread as this has not been anywhere near my tabletpc. All done in Photoshop.

I can tell you coming back down from a 27 inch Wacom screen is going to be hard if we don't buy these screens here...

YVerloc and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

OK... now this is interesting... Not the video itself but the clarification posted by the guy who MADE the video. Dell Canvas is NOT a Wacom rebadged. The only Wacom tech that Dell used was the Wacom pen tech, EVERYTHING else was created and made by Dell.

I'll say this - I love my Dell Canvas.

6. andya147

andya147 Scribbler - Standard Member

hi guys just got the canvas for £999 which I think is a bargain uk..here is a small youtube vid showing a Wacom pen working with the device..anyone who is using one of these go displayport to get 10 bit colour its amazing

7. doobiedoobiedum

Wow, you took a risk buying a graphic screen designed only to work on Windows 10 - Did you know beforehand you were going to be able to use Windows 8.1 and a Wacom driver to get it working?

I'm on windows 10 with mine, Dell driver.... thinking now. Don't LOVE Win 10....

8. andya147

andya147 Scribbler - Standard Member

yes I new the Wacom feel driver would work .and my main thing was pen and touch with artrage and it works great...if down the line I need windows 10 I will just have to go that route..i just don't like the way thing are done on 10 it bugs me ,ive got so used to 8.1.

9. pengpai

pengpai Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello that Comics guy,

Well I got the dell canvas as well, and had some issues with the pen in general. I wish Dell would create a new pen, that is shaped more like Wacoms pen. I find myself still using one of my 12x18 Wacom XD tablets when I can get it working in Windows 10 periodically as they work well for flow. I have the Dell Canvas working with three other 25" dell u2415 monitors. I had some issues with the dell canvas at first working with super large multilayered files in Photoshop; The lasso was having super lag. That problem may be gone. I had a RAM module go bad...and since then no problems.

I had a Small XP-Pen Artist 12 Pen Tablet Monitor that got me by while I tried to figure out what to get to replace my broken Cintiq 21UX. The XP-Pen was so awesome that I thought about getting a Artist 15.6 Pro . I'm willing to wait on XP-Pen because of my experience with their tablet. Meanwhile I was waiting to see if the Canvas would go down in price after the 24 Cintiq Pros came out.

I might change up my software painting process to go back to XP-Pen . I was super close about buying the Canvas. If Photoshop could put barrel rotation on the dial then maybe I might buy it . If it drops to $1200, I'll I've it serious thought.

But it's interesting to see other people struggling with the exact same issues that I have.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hi!

I've found Photoshop to be a touchy beast, and the lasso tool is one of the most radioactive in its toolkit; I experience freezes and failures every few minutes and just have to bash my way through it. -This happens on both the Dell Canvas and the Samsung Notebook 9 pro.

Apparently the issues are related to issues with certain graphics processors. -Though I run Photoshop through two different generations of Intel's HD Graphics chips on both my affected machines, and since Intel's GPU is pretty much the ubiquitous default option for nearly all PCs, I have to give Adobe a huge failing grade.

Clip Studio Paint, however, is basically flawless, and it works really well with the Dell's finger touch interface, (another area where Photoshop fails).

The best stylus for the Dell, I've found, is the old Penabled pen from ten years ago. I'm currently using a Toshiba stylus from the Tecra M4 / Portege M200. It operates well enough to get work done without frustrations, but it could be a bit better. The Penabled standard only has 256 levels of pressure sense and a relatively high IAF. But it doesn't drop strokes and blow out on the low end of the pressure curve like the Dell Canvas pen.

At some point I might pick up a Cintiq Pro 24, but it's not urgent, so I'd be looking for a unit being sold at a very steep discount.