Dell Canvas 27

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Heads of horses in beds. :D

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you need some assistance or reference for choosing PC specifications, I'd be happy to help. I've setup workstations within a business/server environment and have experience selecting hardware for these kinds of setups.

You may know this already, but Dell will usually cut you a deal in terms volume licensing OS and bulk ordering say 10-20 customs spec workstations from them. But it's always good to shop around. ;)

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, that was a great surprise for us. The Canvas is already £1000 less than when it first came out and we can get a really good deal on top of this.

Thanks for the offer, it's also turned out well for us that the Canvas won't run on older PCs so I shouldn't be getting hand-me-down pcs from the typing / hair & beauty courses anymore.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

I won't be able to influence company buying decisions where computer hardware itself is concerned but I am always interested in what I would need to run a desktop system for personal use. I'd love some guidance and opinion if possible.

Before I knew how low the the price of the Canvas could be, I had been looking at Chinese clones to run something with a reasonably powerful pc desktop for Photoshop / drawing and some 3D work and some video work with After Effects or Photoshop to draw animation over a file - no gaming whatsoever, doesn't interest me anymore.
    So far, the Canvas is running nicely powered by an Asus i5 computer.

For personal use, I've looked at building my own but I always end up choosing more and more expensive parts (can't resist the temptation) and they end up more expensive than a pre-built brand machine. So, what's the best way to decide on a mid budget desktop? I do more real world and 3D plaster modelling work that pays than any z-brush work I do so I'd prefer to invest in clay tools than a super expensive hobbyist desktop. For 2D, it's sort of neck and neck - and a secret passion I'd like to get back into.

5. Marty

I hope your IT department knows what it's doing, as the market has dramatically shifted in the past half-year from multiple factors: Ryzen CPUs entering market in force, the new non-backwards compatible X299 motherboard specification from Intel, cryptocurrency mining creating a spike in GPU prices, and the DRAM supply issue which has optimistic/pessimistic forecasts for 2018 depending on which source you read.

Right now I'd say, your school's best bet is negotiating a good a pre-built workstation unit from Dell, but for that they need a solid understanding of the spectrum of hardware performance and pricing and most importantly—actual student needs.

For your personal build I'd be glad to help. (We might want to do this in a separate thread as these things can get quite long. ;))

To get the ball rolling, what creative applications do you use heavily and what's you're approximate budget? What form-factor do you prefer: full-size tower, mini-tower, all-in-one?

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The GPU price spike is nuts. 1070s and 1080s were already overpriced....but prior to Christmas I updated the graphics card in my desktop from a 750 Ti to a 1060 Phoenix since that card can push 5 monitors. Bought it at Microcenter for $209 in December......just two weeks ago Microcenter hiked the price to $569. And they did that with the 1050's too. They seem to have normalized a bit....its now $269 for that specific card, but pretty much anything with more then 4GB of vRam is still significantly price hiked. Kind of hopeing this Crypto craze just crashes so the prices can drop.

7. doobiedoobiedum

Yeah, what's a good area on the forum to do this?

I don't want to run foul of the basic principle of the website as it is a tablet PC forum and I'll be talking about a desktop. I think this thread is useful as a drawing monitor thread. That monitor could probably easily be run off a PC laptop / tabletPC in the MacBook power range.

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Indeed.
    I used to run the Wacom equivalent attached to a meager Cintiq Companion first gen with its integrated Intel HD 4000 gpu along with a second 1080p external display with zero problems. :)

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've noticed a number of areas where prices have at least tripled and the flow of goods has been constrained over the past few months. It's been happening slowly for a couple of years now, but every now and then there are these sudden jerks in the chain.

The Eastern currencies (Chinese, Russian) continue to strengthen and the NATO-enforced petro dollar continues to suffer from being built on quicksand.

For anybody who is interested, this is the real reason for all the anti-Russia propaganda. -It's far easier to sell a Bond movie caricature to the addled masses than it is to explain the bitter complexities of a Western hegemonic economy which is losing control of the slaves in the field. (How dare Russia set up successful trade deals with its geographic neighbors when all riches are supposed to flow West?) We're going to have to start paying for things at their actual value.

All the more reason to own a set of screw drivers and a soldering iron, -and not buy computers held together with glue.

My feeble hope is that twenty years from now we might actually have some our own factories.

10. Marty

The Hardware section seems the most appropriate, but the mods here are super nice, so I don't think you'd run afoul even if you posted in the "wrong" section. ;)