Dell Canvas 27

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Jan 14, 2018.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A three-year standard Dell warranty, free shipping, 27" of canvas, local availability and the fact that I'm still P.O.d about the cross border tariff piracy wrt my N9P... these are all factors.

-I'm launching a new project shortly which leans on the "Big Epic Art" side of things, so the more breathing space, the better. It might be good, creative energy-wise, to launch with an appropriately epic work space.

But we'll see. My Cintiq 21UX, despite its age, is actually still pretty darned epic all things considered, and it is a very reliable tool upon which I've grown comfortable. -The Canvas, even at 27", only offers about a centimeter of extra North/South space thanks to the wide screen format, and the ppi isn't much higher, (108.79 vs 95.25). (For the North/South reason alone, I wouldn't want to 'downgrade' to a 24" -and certainly not a 22"- monitor). -Though, there's still a bruise on my old Cintiq, and who are we kidding? The Dell is a gorgeous, modern touch-screen...

I have the Canvas saved at its current price in a "Cart" on the Dell website for the next fifteen days. I may yet come to my senses. :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Marty likes this.
  2. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Screen wise, the Canvas is going to be a big upgrade for you. I've heard the parallax is better, I don't know if it's Cintiq pro better but its looks much better to me. I believe Dell is free shipping returns.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There is something very nice about kicking off a new project with a new setup. ;) If everything goes well you remember the feeling, and it sort energizes you every time you use the new device. I feel that way about several old tablets and even pens and sketchpads I have.

Truth be told, I have had the Canvas buy page open for 2 months now... I am so tempted.

The new Cintiqs will probably be months before they reach Canada at a reasonable conversion rate. If you order now, you could spend all of 2018 enjoying, rather constantly checking e-retailers and worrying about import tariffs.

How 'bout lets drag in some more of our Canadian pals to join in the temptation... :D

@stoneseeker you've always wanted to move beyond the 22HD right? :p For less than $2500 you could upgrade to the Dell. Or @YVerloc, you could use a nice, higher resolution drawing monitor right?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ah, this is how I could be using one soon. Dell seem to have produced a whole lot more of the original than they would actually sell. Dell rep is pushing quite hard at the moment here.

Have to confess this snuck up on me unsuspecting as I was looking a whole range of other options until 8 days ago.

5. thatcomicsguy

Parallax and screen offset (or the lack thereof) on these modern machines has seen a huge improvement. However, it also happens to be, for whatever reason, one of the things which really fails to bother me in any way. I find edge accuracy a bigger concern, and that doesn't even really affect me either.

The real pluses I'd looking for are:

-Bigger, higher resolution work space. (The Dell doesn't actually provide that, I realized while typing out my previous post -Not $2500 worth. That's an expensive extra centimeter!).

-Touch screen capable. (It's always a bit of a constriction when I move from my modern portable to my old "finger-blind" desktop). -Though, after only a couple of minutes of work or less, I find I'm right back in the comfort zone. Touch is, I think, a non-vital luxury, at least on a desktop.

-Colour. The Dell is gorgeous, and the colour response is far better than my Cintiq, which is dim and dull by comparison. For painting, I can definitely see the benefits there.

I turned my Cintiq sideways, to see what kind of workspace that would be. It would be awesome, actually; I'd be working on sheets of paper about the same size as my old paper set-up. The largest I've ever worked on paper was 10" x 15", and you can fit that right on the Cintiq 21UX screen full-size. But I'm not convinced it's necessary, or that I'd even really work at that scale. -Even on paper, I'd only really focus on a few square inches at a time. (Though the finished effect was powerful. But that's paper in general.)

And where do you put the keyboard?

I'm thinking now, (for the moment, anyway), that the Dell is too expensive for what I'd really gain. If I'm thinking rationally. Which is a good idea when the price tag heads north of 1K !

6. thatcomicsguy

I don't think that they over-produced. In today's production model, the science of just-enough and market analysis are quite refined, and Dell knows its business.

What I think we are seeing is something I've noticed happens with many new products; for the first month or so on certain items, the price is dramatically reduced, during which the market trend setters, (folks like us, actually), who are willing to take a risk and which the market will pay attention to, are roped in. Then the price bounces back up to the original target, -where it will stay. -At which point the more cautious/conservative buyers will make their choices based on what the risk takers have rendered 'normal' and desirable.

It's pure psychology. And it works.

Once this price window is close, it will stay closed. There's maybe a month or less.

Maddening!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  7. doobiedoobiedum

I had a different conversation with the rep. You will probably be right and it was a clever sales pitch however as a reluctant buyer we seem to be in a good position to negotiate on price.

Even to the point I can ask for Windows 10 machines to go with them as the rest of the organisation (in PC) is using Win 7.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. doobiedoobiedum

Invited to visit another college today by another sales rep pushing tablets very hard, here's their digital drawing studio - 18 Wacom 27inch tablets (not including one for the tutor)

You don't know how envious I am.

WP_20180118_13_01_53_Pro.jpg WP_20180118_13_02_02_Pro.jpg

9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Good looking, but worst tablet placement ever. :D

stoneseeker and thatcomicsguy like this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Does it seem like the spacing is rather cramped?

I mean assuming full seating, there's barely enough elbow room for you lean over and get up close. (Not to mention is you have a lefty and a righty sitting next to each other :p)

Are digital art classroom typicallys so packed in schools these days?