Dell Active Stylus fail?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by D4rk_nVidia, Mar 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D4rk_nVidia

D4rk_nVidia Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    the Dell Venue 11 Pro is my second Windows Tablet-PC.
    Before that I used an ThinkPad Tablet 2 without Digitzer.
    Because the Digitzer and speed I sold that tablet PC and bought the Dell Venue 11 Pro with the Atom CPU.

Now I got two Stylus here(dont know why they send me two) and one is working better but both of them dosent write well.(A01)
    On my Note 3 it´s MUCH better. Writing with the Dell Stylus dosent make fun, it´s annoying.
    A few times it dosent recognize the writing and I must make the line again.
    It´s like writing with ledges and not like with the WACOM stylus. With WACOM it´s much smoother.
    So I would say the Stylus is not to use.
    Writing with finger is better -.-
    i'm very disappointed because I bought this computer to take notes and draw something but my phone´s stylus is better.

Are you of the same opinion?

2. maexchen

maexchen Pen Pal - Newbie

No, I think you are alone with that opinion

3. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

Alone? Bwah ha!

D4RK: All you have to do is read through this forum a little bit. The Dell/Synaptics stylus digitizing system is an absolute, miserable suckfest.

I love my Dell computers, and I have a bunch of them, but using this Synaptics system was a huge mistake. Had I know how bad it was I would not have bought the Venue 11.

4. D4rk_nVidia

D4rk_nVidia Pen Pal - Newbie

That´s my first Dell device at it´s really nice. But the stylus was an argument to buy that Tablet-PC and know it´s not better than drawing with an finger.
    Has Dell said anything new like a new firmware would help ?

When not, I give that stylus back or something like that. Maybe I sell the Venue 11 Pro.
    That anticipation while the order -.-

5. 996gt2

996gt2 Scribbler - Standard Member

If you get a good stylus, then it's not bad at all. I've owned several Wacom devices in the past and I don't think the stylus on my Venue 8 Pro is that bad at all. Is it as good as Wacom? No. Is it perfectly usable? Yes

However, if you got a bad stylus, then obviously your experience will be very different.

6. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

The A01 (feb) stylus is certainly not perfect, but calling it fail is an absolute overstatement (assuming the battery drain is fixed).

I suggest, anyone who thinks is a failure should upload a video to show the problems. The only problem I have now with A01 is the increase in pressure I have to use to write compared to A00, if I don't apply enough pressure at times, it misses the stroke. Otherwise its quite useable

dceggert likes this.
  7. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Odd--over the past few days, I started to notice comment after comment that the A01 revision pen works just fine and people were happy with it. Not all comments, of course, but very distinct from before.

dceggert likes this.
  8. landofvanilla

landofvanilla Pen Pal - Newbie

another wacom user here Chiming in: I think it's perfectly usable now( A.01). Feb. it holds its own.

dceggert likes this.
  9. maexchen

maexchen Pen Pal - Newbie

I was mocking him. Just looking at the front page of this Forum shows 4 Threads dealing with the Pen. Even a quick look at them should have shown that he is not alone with this.
    I personally seem to have gotten one of the better A00, since it actually works pretty well and does not suffer from too many hover clicks. If there was one thing I would change it would be to add a dedicated on/off button because it eats through the batteries like a child through ice-cream... and that seems not to have been gotten better with the A01

seatore likes this.
  10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I too had an A00 that worked very well but I bought a(n) A01 too. The A01 is a better pen and I am glad I got it. The jury is still out on the battery life since I just put it into action on Saturday. However, with that said, I have not had to unscrew the barrel and screw it back together again to get the pen to work so that in and of itself is a move in the right direction.

It may end up inking and drawing well but the Synaptics and Atmel 'active capacitive' pens still, overall, require too much fiddling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.