Definitive fix for the fan noise on the T2010

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by pyro2009, Nov 3, 2010.

1. didgeridoo

didgeridoo Pen Pal - Newbie

I've read some conflicting info out there about people trying to fix the T2010 fan noise by trying a few things. One suggestion is to lower the overall case temps (ex: better CPU thermal paste) so that the fan doesn't come on so readily. Another suggestion is to remove & install a quieter fan. How effective are these methods? Also, it is also theorized that the loud T2010 fan issue may be a software problem (not a hardware problem) so that even if you switch to a quieter fan, the software that controls the fan may be too aggressive, thus turning on the fan at too cool of a temperature.

So what's the real problem with the annoying, noisy fan on the T2010? Is it...
    1. case temps?
    2. the noisy fan itself?
    3. the software controlling the fan?
    4. or something else?

I'm just wondering if anyone (or Fujitsu even) has a definitive solution before I give up and decide to buy a different tablet PC. Will a "fixed-up" T2010 even be as quiet as a newer Fujitsu T2020, assuming that the newer T2020 model has fixed the fan issues that plagued the elder T2010. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

my experience is that the main problems is
    2. the noisy fan itself

With a thermal compound update you get the CPU temperatures lower and thus the fan turns on later and the CPU stays cooler. But it's still noisy. Not that much any longer, but it's still audible and nerves.
    But with a fan replacement you get lower temperatures again and the new fan is quieter and produces a much more comfortable sound.
    It's strange but even the software seems to be ok now. Because the new fan cools better and thus the software they use works more effective the way they coded it.

When I used it on battery and used it in the past in a lecture hall and I stressed the CPU for short times the fan was audible. Now with the new fan it's silent. I don't hear the fan at all there, even when it runs at low speeds.
    At home, when I've connected the fan to the power supply the temps where always a bit higher and especially when I also used a BT device the fan was loud and distracting. Now after the fan replacement, the fan also runs, but at much lower RPM and is much quieter and thus more comfortable and like any other quieter notebook now.

The new fan reduces the temps again, is quieter and produces a more comfortable sound. That's the solution.
    fan.jpg

3. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

Frank,
    Could you post a link to where you bought your fan that hopefully gives the brand name, model name, dimensions and price?

4. zunq

zunq Scribbler - Standard Member

Exchanging the fan is the easiest and most effective way to eliminate the noise. I did it as well and it WORKS. It cost me $50 on ebay but it's worth every dollar. They don't seem to sell it anymore, nor does anyone else on the whole internet. You will have to wait for them to sell a T5010 or T2020 fan, and hope that it works.

5. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. didgeridoo

didgeridoo Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice. Thanks for the great advice Frank. And really super helpful tips zunq, thanks for that as well.

I haven't actually disassembled the T2010 yet, but I've gone through the pictures and steps a few times. It doesn't look like it's going to be too bad. I'm just going to take some extra time and be really careful with it. I'm glad you guys for a decent solution to the noisy fan. I gotta get my hands on a T4220 replacement fan. I know they must be out there somewhere in the US, but if I have to I'll see if I can order from that German website that Frank posted. Geez. If I still can't get the T4220 fan, then I guess I'm going to have to wait it out until I see a T2020 fan out there and hope that it will fit and not be a noise monster. :)

7. zach1

zach1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think it's something that's controlling the fan. On most laptops I have the fan stays at a pretty constant RPM (it will either be a low 2000rpm or gradually ramp up to 4000rpm and stay there a while before coming down to 2000rpm). On the T2010 though, it often oscillates from low to high and down to low all in the span of 5 seconds. The fan itself isn't much louder than many of my other laptops, it's just very fickle (a bit like a motor drill, off-on-off, but of course much quieter than that). My 2710p with a similar processor though is pretty much silent, I think the way the heat sink is designed on the T2010 isn't the most brilliant so it has to compensate with a really aggressive fan.

8. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

Thank you for Clarifying Frank, and thank you Zunq for the how to ;D

9. zunq

zunq Scribbler - Standard Member

10. yournam

yournam Pen Pal - Newbie

Edited............