Deciding between these for Art/Drawing. Which one?

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by Nils-san, Nov 29, 2016.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I never used the M780, but I have used other screens which are the same size and pixel count (12" at 1280 x 800). The HP Elitebook series is built around that screen format. -While a very nice little machine, (the HP 2760p), I find I never actually used it simply because the workspace was so cramped for drawing. The M200's version of "twelve inches" is quite a lot bigger.

Have you tried using ebay.com versus the one in your region? That will open up access to a wider range of sellers, many of whom are willing to ship internationally.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I completely agree. Can you imagine what could be built today with modern parts but if designers allowed themselves a chassis thickness like the Stylistic? With that port count and real, clicky buttons? And something to hold on to? Honestly!

Earlier today I actually "lost" my button bar up in the right-hand corner of the screen because it was too close to the edge. There it was, looking right at me, but every time I tried to drag it, the "Action Center" flew open instead. -Also.., I notice that whenever I go to pinch zoom an image, no matter the program, it NEVER works on the first try and I find myself just scrabbling at the glass like a cat on a window sill trying to get a cricket. User interface design today isn't fully baked yet. -Not like those golden brown Win XP / Win 7 muffins, so it's easy to get wistful!

This Space Age minimalist design which seems to have infected so many devices isn't my happy place, I've come to realize. It's all like the J.J. Abrams version of the Enterprise bridge; Sparkly and Futuristic, but not built for meat creatures. It's like being in a china shop where everything shows finger grease and everything is eager to respond to your lightest touch.

I don't want everything to respond to my lightest touch! I can be polite and refined, but I am also an ape. I'm not a robot and I don't want to be. That's the reality. I need a world built out of sturdy, dumb objects whose only two jobs are to be comfortable and to not break when I lean on them. -Not randomly activate the download of some app which will only cost me $1.49 for the first six months.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    kvoram and WillAdams like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Please...I'm trying not to feel too overcome with longing and depression. :vbtongue:

To think OEMs were onto such a promising design direction in slates pcs (back in 2007!). And now almost 10 years later, we are nowhere close to having that level of "on-the-field" functionality (even on $4000 devices!).

Oh crap...I feel the tears...

WillAdams likes this.
  4. digital doctor

digital doctor Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had / have most of these tablets.

(suggested) LE1700 with 2gb ram: SXGA+- has the best screen of the lot. SXGA+ (1400×1050)

Others:
    LE1600 with 1gb ram: XGA, inferior to the LE1700.
    M1400 with 1gb ram: XGA, too old
    M1300 with 1gb ram: XGA, too old
    J3400 with 2gb ram: - newer than LE1700, screen not as good.

Fujitsu Stylistic ST5121 - pretty old ? same age as M200 ?

Toshiba M200 - 14.1 inch WXGA - 1366×768 (also known as WXGA)
    Toshiba M780 - not sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_display_resolution

Tips
    - prices of them all are about the same. don't worry about price.
    - RAM is easily upgraded on all the Motions, likely on the others as well, don't worry about RAM. I suggest you upgrade the RAM to 4 Gigs (which I have done on all my Motions).
    - The batteries are likely bad on any of the units you buy, the replacement batteries would be more than the cost of the tablet you get. Think - you'd likely need to have the AC adapter plugged in all the time.

Exactly what type of work do you want to do on it ?
    I'd suggested the LE1700 of what you have listed.
    It would also be the Tablet that would be the easiest to resell if you don't end up liking it for your needs.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.