Deciding Between Intel 7300 and 9600. Help?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by ginakra, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ginakra

ginakra Pen Pal - Newbie

I posted this in the HP forum and even though I have 65 views I haven't gotten much help and I am running out of coupon using time :) I thought maybe I could get more general knowledge of cpu's in here?

I have a choice of:

Intel core2 duo su7300 1.3 MHz, 800 MHz FSB with 512 Mobility Radoen HD 4550 graphics

OR

Intel core2 duo su9600 1.6 MHz, 800 MHz FSB with same graphics
    HP wants $275 to upgrade from the 7300 to the 9600. Is it worth it? Will I see that much difference? I plan to run every day stuff mail/browsing etc., iTunes, CD/DVD ripping and converting of movies and music, some light photoshop work like some drawing and photo editing, maybe light Web graphics. I may do some gaming if the tablet will handle it, like SimCity or something, but it's not the main use. If the 1.6 MHz would make a huge difference in gaming I'd like to know. I will be running Dragon Naturally Speaking or the Microsoft speech recognition to control many of the PCs operation, dictating e-mails, controlling the browser, etc. So that would probably be running most of the time as well as whatever tasks I'm doing. I would probably watch streaming movies or tv from the internet as well.

Does anyone know if the Intels are faster than the tx2500 processors, which were the AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual Core Mobile ZM-86 2.40ghz ?

Anyone to give an opinion? Thanks in advance

2. squiggle

squiggle Pen Pal - Newbie

Neither of Intel CPUs that you listed are really that fast. The speed difference between the two is probably pretty marginal as everything is the same except for the 300mhz difference in clock speed(and they are both on the slower side).

I take it you are looking at a TM2t. Have you thought about a Fujitsu T4310. You could probably get the base unit at about $1035-1050 when the 10% off or $100 off promotion is being run (very often). There is also a $50 MIR running right now and 5% bing cashback. The cpu would be faster as its a 2.2Ghz intel T6600 though the graphics is intel integrated chipset only. (i don't know how important is the discreet chipset to you but you seem to have selected that option with your TM2t choice.

3. gaidensensei

gaidensensei Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, to be honest you will not notice much of a difference between 300 mhz, unless you are doing things like encoding or rendering where there's a timer countdown for the application to finish a process. Depending on what you're doing, that .3 ghz difference can just mean a few seconds or 10 seconds.

The mobile AMD chips are frowned upon lately for the heat they generate, it's still a department that AMD should (and probably are) working on. If heat is not a concern; where it should be of to the average person unless you live in Alaska or the arctics or something then there's no issue with getting an AMD. In general, heat generation can be associated with power consumption within electronics.

4. blister

blister Pen Pal - Newbie

After stalking this forum for the past few weeks I decided to come out of the shadows and post my thoughts, etc on this subject. I have been doing a lot of research and debating on which tablet to get and the main choices for me were the Fujitsu T4310 and the HP tm2.

Once I saw the $300 off coupon for the HP, I decided to go with it since I was able to get $500 total off with the current $200 off promotion.

So here are my thoughts:

CPU - SU7300 vs U9600 - according to the cpu benchmarks on http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php, the performance difference is around 12%, not really worth the extra $200. I decided to pass on it and bring the price down below what the T4310 would cost me. The SU7300 CPU is the same one being used in the Alienware m11x and might be overclockable to 1.6ghz if available in the bios.

Fujitsu T4310 vs HP tm2 -
    With the $500 off promotion, the price of the tm2 can be very close to that of the T4310 (or even cheaper). The advantage the T4310 has is raw CPU speed which is about 30% faster over the tm2. The downside of the T4310 is that it only has an integrated gfx option which eats into your ram and the slower 5400rpm hard drive. So with the tm2's ATI 4550 gfx and 7200rpm hard drive, the real world usage performance should be about the same. The T4310 is about 6 months old now while the tm2 is very new. It the Fujitsu had dedicated graphics I would have jumped on it already.

My final price (before tax) for the tm2 was $1029.98 and has the following:
    • Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    • Intel(R)Core(TM)2 Duo SU7300 (1.30GHz, 800MHz FSB) w/512MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 4550 Graphics
    • $100 OFF! 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    • FREE Upgrade to 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive from 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    • External Tray LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer

My primary use for the tablet is for drawing in Flash, Illustrator, Photoshop, Painter, etc.

Some features of Photoshop can be GPU accelerated which give the tm2 a bigger boost over the Fujitsu. And CS5 will probably even bring more GPU support.

Hope this info helps someone.