Dear Microsoft...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by excalibur1814, Apr 19, 2017.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I waited. I truly waited.

Today, for some reason, I finally purchased an iPhone 6 plus. I swore, hand on heart, that I'd never jump ship, leave the boat, but it's truly time for me to swim to another shore. As mentioned I waited, for a very long time, but when your OWN apps start appearing on other platforms, with far more features, it does make you wonder. A lot.

Plus there's the GoPro app, which wouldn't let me access the device's settings from my 950, which seemed to have no issues on my iPad mini 4. Then there's the DJI Phantom app that doesn't exist on your platform. The final cake icing involved the random gps issue that required a restart, or the silly pause when pressing the camera button at random times. The platform just needed a little more work, a lot more apps, plus ALL of the games being offered to ios and Android. But, obviously, you know this. You've always known this.

I waited and waited, then waited a little longer, but, to me on this day, Windows Mobile has finally died.

Such a damn shame. I also feel quite foolish as I really did push the platform.

Me.

P.s. I honestly do not believe that a Surface phone will sell. Only a miracle, or every Android handset exploding, can save WMobile from this point forward. (IMO)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

As a fellow 950 user, I feel your pain. In my case, I'm not too demanding with regard to apps, so the Store's limitations aren't as irritating to me.

Still, if Microsoft hopes to make a WOA smartphone successful, they'd better start paying developers a lot more to port popular apps to their platform...

3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4. excalibur1814

...and I'm back. I couldn't do it. i just couldn't do it. iOS is really nice but the lack os Swype (Or whatever it's called) and the previously simple task of turning data off/on just annoyed me. I'll sell and get back my £360 thank you very much.

Oh well. I tried. :( DARN YOU Microsoft for making some things quite easy.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Eh, Swype is available for iOS. I have it installed on my iPad Pro.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Still happily using my Windows 640 here. Great phone, great camera which offers things that you have to hunt out on iPhones and Android phones. (I really only need to text my family / call people and use the camera - Maps comes in really useful though)

I think Microsoft missed the boat by not joining the android ship when the manufacturers who adopted it realised they couldn't survive alone against Apple's iOS. Microsoft could easily use Android as a foundation and then add their own version of tricks and personalised interface so users can access the Android store as well as MS only apps.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. excalibur1814

If I were Microsoft I would never, ever, EVER, use someone else's operating system on my own devices. It would be pure idiocy and a glowing statement of failure. Yes, they've kind of failed anyway but, here in the U.K. it was always going to go against them. No matter what store you walked into, to buy a phone, the sales person would 'always' divert you to X or Y. Neither of those would be Windows Mobile.

I would have thought that Swype would be available as a default function. I tend to keep my stuff as light as possible.

Still rocking the 950! I did look at a few Android handsets (6Gb ram etc) but the DooGee etc phones all have terrible cameras. I then thought that the price would fall on the iPhone 6s, or even 7, but that doesn't seem to be the case just yet. When someone lists and sells a phone, with a cracked screen, for £250+... madness.

8. excalibur1814

9. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

10. excalibur1814

Difficult.

PERSONAL OPINION INCOMING!

To me Android seems like Windows Mobile* 5.5/6.0/with HTC overlay. It has the bells, the whistles, with more thrown in with each version and or release. There's even the healthy rom mod scene with 20 pages of positives and 437 pages asking for fixes. Usual.

Not wanting to spend an absolute fortune, on something that's not even remotely worth it, I started to have a look at the 'other' makes. DooGee, Honor, Huawei and a few others. 6Gb ram, 128Gb storage with mSD support, with something else always missing. Low res screen or an absolutely awful camera. The phone has to at least try to beat a Microsoft 950 and, of course, I already know that none of them would come close to the camera on the 1020.

I looked. I looked a bit more. The moment I found something that seemed sensible the price moved upwards. Ideally I wanted a phone that I didn't have to mess around with, or fight with storage location, or grumble at apps having exclusive rights to everything, or hope that I ever get an update. Yes, we all know that the iPhone 7 will run like a brick on rusted skates when iOS 14 appears, but that's to be expected. Re-sale value is also quite high with Apple.

I like Android. I do. *It's the greatest pile of semi-polished rubbish known to man and a lot of people don't even know they have it. "I have a Samsung!" etc. Android feels warm, like I've seen it before, which makes me reminisce over Windows Mobile 5.5 HTC style.

In the end, as you know, I went with an iPhone. With it's walled garden of 'you cannot do this'. Not being able to simply drag music onto the device makes me want to cry but, when it's all said and purchased, I know exactly what I'm getting as I already own an iPad mini 4. Overall moving to an iPhone is a test and, in a few weeks, I might just dive into Android instead. Who knows.