Dear god - help me decide!! M7 vs t4210

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by okashira, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okashira

okashira Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, now I am a little annoyed. I went to look at the t4210 at Fry's again and the saleswoman convinced me to buy it. They couldn't get the stylus for the display unit, so she said I could buy their last one and try it; and return it later with no restocking fee. I got all the way home and just before I opened it I checked the reciept and it did indeed say there was a restoking fee for a used item. Called them up and confirmed, 10%. drove all the way back and returned it, and it was a PITA to get it returned despide never even cutting the tape! I did locate a display R25 at a remotely located CC and got them to unlocked it from it's prison so I could hold it for 30 seconds. the guy was a jerk about it too, and wouldn't get me the stylus, either!
    --why should I buy from a local retail store again?? :confused: :confused:
    the m7/r25 wasn't so bad, but i'm still undecided given that i havent been able to use a actual stylus on either unit.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If your worried about using the pen on screen okashira let me put your concerns to one side.
    Using the pen on the T4210 is pure magic.

I'm using the pen right now and it's just like writing on paper.

You don't even have to train it to recognise either.

3. thddragon85

thddragon85 Pen Pal - Newbie

People buy from a retail store because it is a physical place where they can return/warantee the item. At least.. thats why I would buy from a retail store. Circuit City and Dell are the only Accidental Damage (ie: you run it over with your car) warantee offerers, but you have to ship the item. Sooooo... yea, if you dont mind shipping an item, buy direct. You can negotiate student discounts too btw, if you buy direct.

New Egg is supposed to have a cheap t4210, but its a core solo chip (thats why its cheap), and r20 (customized r25s) are 10% off right now from Toshiba direct (not sure if you can apply a student disount on top of that, doubt they'll let you).

Last note on the New Egg dealie: when merom comes out, you wont be able to swap it, only core duo boards take core 2 duo. (its supprising that it even does that, usually a new chip means a new board)

4. okashira

thanks for the warnings. I questioned buying locally because of the bad service that I recieved.

The t4210 on Newegg is a coreduo (the exact same unit as Fry's)
    and the total price at Fry's comes out to $320 more then newegg, hard to justify. esp considering fujitsu's already good service. I would consider buying the R25 from CC though, it's a more decent deal.
    also, laptops that come with core solo chips are infact upgradable to core duo and core 2 duo; it's the same socket and chipset.

5. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

Technically the Core Solo and Core Duo are the same chip. The Core Solo is a dual core chip where one of the cores has been disabled by Intel (usually by a severed connection to one of the cores). And the Core 2 Duo will fit the same slot because it's the same architecture. This is also means that a Core Solo can be a broken Core Duo so Intel doesn't lose any money on their chips.

If you wanna read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core

6. okashira

Ive got a t4210 on order from newegg now, thanks to P8RSON's help