Dear god - help me decide!! M7 vs t4210

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by okashira, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okashira

okashira Scribbler - Standard Member

My ideal tablet would be a 13" 4:3 screen with SXGA+ resolution.
    if the t4210 had the sxga+, I would have picked that up in a heartbeat.

Tecra M7:
    Big Pros: much more workspace. 63% more pixels. Higher DPI.
    Minor Pros: dedicated video
    Cons: -a bit heavier, widescreen, toshiba.
    -no discounts, hard to get, tax, wait time.

t4210:
    PROS: -Japanese High Build Quality
    -Lighter, possibly easier to hold. Less intrusive.
    -Can buy from Newegg with big discount, no tax and fast shipping.
    CONS -Only XGA screen, Low DPI.

The main concerns I was hoping some experienced users here could help me with are screen DPI, 'holdability' and screen quality (brightness, contrast, color, response time)

1.) how useful is the screen DPI of the t4210 compared to the M7? Somtimes I like to write quite small and draw small pictures. how small and with how much detail can one write/draw on the t4210 screen, without using zoom, compared with say, a .5mm mechanical pencil?

2.)how easy is the M7 to handle, compared to the t4210. would the M7 be very easy to hold for 2+ hours taking rapid-fire notes? How easy is it to write edge-to-edge compared to the t4210? would the t4210 be MUCH easier, LITTLE easier or even not at all easier to hold while sitting taking notes?
    ---Note I will not use either for writing while standing up, always sitting down.

3.)Screen quality. How do the two screens compare in brightness, contrast, color quality and response time? for $1700, I expect both the be TOP NOTCH. am I wrong?

My local fry's, best buy have NOTHING in the way of tablets; they are quite behind the times here. So I really need your help guys... spending this much $$ sight unseen is no fun.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mmmmm lets see...

1, Can't say I have tried the M7 but I have the M400 which shares a similar much smaller SXGA+ screen.
    Your initial reaction is: nice big screen estate, great...
    However, unless you have very good eyesight, it does get a little tiring after so long in use.
    Also, I found when working on the M400 tablet it was that little bit more difficult in getting the precise place on the screen and for some strange reason I could not select the very edges either.
    This was opposed to the T4210 which when turned on did have a smaller resolution but to be really honest it did not worry me in the slightest.
    It's bright enough, can be seen at most angles, easy on the eyes, precise in picking the space required, can select the very edges and the screen has this neat trick of being turned in both directions.

2. Again I can not comment on the M7 but I don't think I would like to hold it for too long but then again you are sitting taking notes.
    But for notes I did prefer the T4210 over the M400, again it was mostly to do with the screen but the T4210 just felt much more responsive.

3. All I can say is the T4210 is a pleasure to use.
    At night you can use the screen very, very easily at the lowest setting (which helps conserve battery life) and because it's a lower res it's gentle'r on the eyes.

Initially I was going to get an M400...
    I was not totally happy though, especially as I do come from a Fujitsu background in laptops & tablets.
    You may say "Ahh in that case he's biased on Fujitsu's and obviously is bound to praise them up" but you would be wrong.
    The very fact I have been using Fujitsu's for so long and currently have three different models is because they have all been totally superb.
    My older models I was very sad to either sell or give away.

Because you have not used either machines, it's a hard choice you have there.
    It's only hard though through the lack of experience.
    With experience in trying both you would very soon find it would not be a hard choice.
    Fujitsu wins it for me.. All the way........ :)

3. okashira

P8RSON - Wonderful. Just the kind of reply I was looking for.
    How did I know you would be first? :)

I checked toshiba, the sxga+ on the m400 is not even offered at all anymore! so I'm not even considering it. in the case with both having XGA screens the t4210 is surely superior :)

My biggest concern right now is the note-taking handle-ability of the M7 vs the t4210, in PORTRAIT mode. I'm thinking that since the M7 is only very slightly wider(in portrait) then the t4210, that it may be nearly as easy to handle. But I could be completly wrong.. having a hard time visualizing it.
    But since you say the t4210 is better for note-taking then the m400, then surely the m7 would be worse.

I hope I can get someone who uses the M7 for notes to chime in, mabye even someone who's handled the t4210 and m7 extensivly?? :)
    again i'm only talking about lap-holding note taking in portrait handleability.

edit: with the t4210, ill be able to use the 3m vikuti (yes I consider that a plus) while the m7 protectors are limited

4. P8RSON

As to machine and screen physical sizes, a little crude but why not cut from a piece of cardboard the two sizes with a drawing of the screen and see which feels better to work with.

Is one harder in that you have to lean over more to write.. It may look stupid trying to write imaginally on a piece of cardboard and for that matter it may be better to 'try this on your own' but do it for quite a while and see of which your neck, back and arm feel more happier with.

As to screen protectors....
    I come from a long line of using SP.
    However and it is a BIG however.... For the first time in history I am now finding that in the case of the T4210 you simply do not need an SP.
    Most modern day screens now for tablets should be able to take a moderation of abuse. The T4210 is a good example of such.
    My screen remains as clean as the day it was born.

.... and that from an ex military man now back in the farmers community :)

5. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have only used the Fujitsu T4210 and haven't seen the Toshiba M7, but I do want to tell you about the tech support of these two companies. I grew up as a kid who loved IBM so I didn't really care about Fujitsu and Toshiba before I started working where I do now. But I can tell you that Fujitsu's Tech Support and Customer Service is so much better than Toshiba's. In example, today I had two computers that Toshiba screwed up on the warranties so when you looked them up the computers said out of warranty even though the customer had bought an extended warranty. So I had to fax and call Toshiba over and over until they finally fixed the problem. With Fujitsu I've never had a problem like that once and they are always kinda and helpful and will stick with you until you resolve your problem.

So if something goes wrong (which I really hope it doesn't), Fujitsu will have your back and Toshiba might say that they don't know who you are.

6. P8RSON

To further back what ahamilton55 is saying; I have an Fujitsu Pocket Loox that developed a problem some time ago.
    I called tech supp who quickly diagnosed the problem as being a faulty wifi chip.

The following day a courior arrived with a brand new replacement...
    This was before I had even got round to sending off the problematic device.

Now that is what I call good service second to none. :)

7. okashira

Tech support doesn't mean much to me. as long as tosh will honor the warrenty, that's enough. it's nice to know fujitsu will be helpful though.

can anyone who owns a m7 chime in on the usability?

8. okashira

Well it turns out FRY's got in a t4210. it was quite easy to handle as expected, but the low resolution was noticable. it did look like it would have a bit of trouble with small writing that would be easy on paper. I could be wrong? also, it was hard to write on the right side of the screen in portrait mode, since there is very little edge there. you would have to float the pen w/o resting your palm to write, which is not comfortable.

I still cant get much of a concept for how well the M7 would handle in portrait mode, would the long shape make leaning over and stretching nessicary to write on the whole screen?
    I did notice that there is more of an edge on the right side in portrait mode making it easier to write on the right side of the screen.

9. thddragon85

thddragon85 Pen Pal - Newbie

if you are choosing between the m7 and the t4210, the m7 is heavy. If you plan on standing while taking notes, DO NOT GET IT. this is assuming your in construction or your office likes to have standing meetings (it does happen).

If you have never needed a notepad for taking notes while standing, getting a tablet is not going to change it. That leaves lugging it around in school, if you are in school, and have a back problem, this could be an obsticle, otherwise, it is also not a problem.

Moving on to usability, go to a circuit city, or compusa, they cary the consumer version of the m7, the r25. You cant pick them up in my area to hold and swivel, but you can get an idea for the the dimentions of the laptop.

The M7 is a PROFESSIONAL laptop. Not saying the t4210 isnt, but the m7 does have the dedicated video memory, and has more horizontal screen space (landscape). (From what ive seen of the r25, the verticle screenspace is almost the same, so its like a letter format vs a legal format, rather then a small letter format to a larger letter format.) This is ideal for coders, and for graphic artist, which is what the laptop is geared towards. (the card is optomized as a 'workhorse' not a gaming setup). We dont usually do our coding or our drafting while standing up, so the wieght isnt a problem. If you dont code, and you dont design, go with the t4210, you'll be a lot happier

10. okashira

I will NEVER be standing while taking notes on it. I am a student; a Mechanical Engineering major.

edit: and no back problems :)