Dealz on different Art Software Options

Discussion in 'Artists' started by ron2k_1, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh,ya!
    I remember,the problem with Manga Studio was not fill,the problem was primarily either of the cursor issue or unsatisfactory lasso selection issue,due to which I didn't selected it to qualify my requirnments.Also,it didn't had a large canvas size ,neither alternately had any provision to work on multiple canvas with common eyedropper tool and common unchanged brush/pencil pattern & color,something which is possible with OpenCanvas.

For conceptualizing something as big as a car with all profiles(side/front/back) in detail,either you need to work simultaneously on multiple canvases (Opencanvas supports this.)or have to work on a single large size canvas(Photoshop and TV paint Animation(64-Bit only)supports a large size.)

Sorry for confussion.I presented slightly incorrect info about Manga studio "Color Fill" issue,becuase I had tested these softwares very long back (allmost 4 to 6 months back)and when these softwares didnot qualified,I didnot remember all of the problems they had,in extreme detail.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  2. Aman

But attempting special real-life shading effects on car body or headlamps,without layers and without airbrush is not an extremly easy task(Although not an extremly difficult task,also).It needs good imaginative skills to analyse the light effects and then to apply it in MS paint.Atleast I appreciable them for the shading effects they managed to give in their work.

In Photoshop or OpenCanvas or TV Paint Animation,that task is much more easier than when MS Paint is used,for even newcomer First Timers in the design industry.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  3. Rousing_Dipthorne

Rousing_Dipthorne Pen Pal - Newbie

B-b-but... digital art programs don't teach design conventions or color theory! How does it make it easier?!?

4. Aman

1)But I think that Color theory can be thought much better by a teacher on these digital 2-D programs like Photoshop.
    Infact you can actually mix and try different colors on Photoshop itself.You don't need any sort of paper atall unless feel of texture is an extremly important thing in art.

If there's anything missing in digital 2D art,its then only the feel of texture,nothing else,I think.

2)Well,most product designers/Car designers use their own analysing capabilities and common sense to learn about Color concepts by seeing and analysing nature.Thats about an inbuilt talent.You cannot teach a talent to anyone,you can only give it a boost & a bit exposure.Its quiet possible that they may not have learnt about it in extreme detail in Textbooks or other study materials,but have highly detailed knowledge & skills about Color concepts.

Its a good and useful thing to learn about Color theory though, through textbooks or other study materials.This will help.But that doesnot mean that those who haven't read about it in detail in Study materials have absolutely no proper design skills.Thanks for making me realise that I should go through the Color theory once in as detail as possible.

Additional thoughts:
    I don't know the history of MS Paint,but I think that it was the MS paint who may be the predecessor of these advanced softwares like Photoshop.I am not very sure about it though.
    I am curious if anyone knows the history of modern day digital art/design programs.

5. Rousing_Dipthorne

Rousing_Dipthorne Pen Pal - Newbie

Although I've never taken car design I did take several courses on Autocad (R-14, it was a decade ago) as well as drawing on a drafting board in general/ learning how to measure and annotate using rulers, triangles, mechanical/ adjustable parallel bars, compasses, eraser/ circle templates, and etc and not once did we go over any type of color work, let alone color theory. We went over everything from architectural drafting to mechanical engineering and design (well things like screws, gears, and misc. components), from drawing on paper to using exacto knives cutting up foam presentation boards to make model floor plans. Although we did do 3d wire meshes of buildings applying solid meshes to each point was something I learned how to do on my own which lead me to believe that color work is ultimately not important when it comes to the actual design process. That the bulk of design work is actually done in thumbnail/ linework form, which is then taken to the engineers for the specific measurements and components, after which is yet again taken to a graphic art department/ studio if it's to be rendered in color! That in the design profession people seldom, if ever cover all these bases!

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

To All: I have attempted to partially reset this discussion thread by deleting a certain number of posts and some of the more argumentative comments. I tried not to delete posts that had legitimate on-topic content, but I also exercised some judgment along the way. Just be aware that the discussion over the last few pages of this thread will appear choppy, and that's the reason why.

Moving forward, I'd like to ask everyone to stay on topic. If you want to discuss a related aspect, start a new thread.

I'd also like to remind all members that it's not necessary to respond to every post that someone writes. Sometimes it's best to just keep the discussion moving forward...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  7. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

So just to update on some of deals going on at this time:
    Sketbook Pro - Amazon no longer has for $21. So you have to pay upwards of $50 bucks
    ArtRage 4 - Developer Site exclusively sells this version, so price set at $49
    Manga Studio 5 - Amazon has it for $64 bucks. $15 less than SmithMicro site.

MS5 recently got an update as a result of MS EX5 being released. If you, like I did, bought MS5, you can upgrade to MS EX5 for $99. Quite a deal if you ask me. The stand alone version costs $299

What is new on MS 5.0.2 is listed here:
    What's new in Manga Studio 5.0.2 (answer inside)
    [​IMG]

My 2 favourite features on the update:
    Line art isolation:
    [​IMG]

Redraw vectors:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

As an animator, if they ever added a simple timeline feature to MS5 I'd be smitten.

9. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

Good update @Ron2k_1 !

I recently purchased Painter 12 about 2 weeks ago. I was getting emails from Corel every once and a while with sales on their software. Corel was (and still is) offering a "cross-upgrade" from Photoshop to Painter. I have Photoshop CS5. I received an email about the biggest sale of the year on Corel Painter 12. The upgrade price was $99.99. I went to their site, placed it in my cart, but couldn't make up my mind. Since I was logged in when I placed Painter in my cart, a day or so later I got an email for a 10% discount on the items I placed in my cart. As a way of sealing the deal. I went ahead and purchased Corel Painter 12 for the upgrade price which was down to around $89 after the upgrade and 10% off that. Not bad. I had to submit a form online giving them my CS5 license number and purchase date which I guess they use to verify the upgrade. The next day I received an activation code that authorized my upgrade to Painter 12.

Fast forward to last Tuesday when Painter X3 came out. I opened a chat with Corel and in less than 10 minutes they had upgraded my Corel Painter 12 to X3 at no cost. So I ended up getting Painter X3 for about $89. So far I'm really liking it. It isn't the cheapest software, but certainly cheaper than full price. I really love the natural media brushes.

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Painter X3?? thats a good deal. Is it laggy or handle ULV fairly well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.