Dealz on different Art Software Options

Discussion in 'Artists' started by ron2k_1, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for useful tips.

2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I'm by no means a pro, and I don't do this for a living and I definitely don't have that many sketches on digital media. But I don't recall ever using the flood tool (it looks too flat and messy)

I do what I think stoneseeker does:
    1. Create a new layer.
    2. Use a broad brush with whatever flow and opacity I desire.
    3. Paint broadly with no regard to boundaries or line work.
    4. Use an eraser and erase all the pixel I don't need. Here is where I pay great care to delete up to where the sketch lines (boundary limits) are.
    5. Repeat 3 and 4 as needed.
    6. Once I'm happy, I'd flatten the layer to the rest of the sketch. I limit myself to just a handful of layers. ..

Just my 2 cents.

But just an update. I got MS5 after all. I'll be raking the Web for tuts on this software for the next few days. Amazon had it for 10 bucks less than MS5 website.

Artrage looks like so much fun that I may purchase it in few months as well whenever I've saved enough.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

art rage is a lot of fun and very different from MS5, so I highly recommend it!

4. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

What are you talking about? Manga Studio has the most powerful fill tool I've ever used in a raster graphics program. It feels as reliable as using Flash's fill tool, which itself is a vector program. You can set the tolerance for line opacity, the size of gap it closes(!), whether it fills contiguous/non-contiguous, which layers it references(!!), the fill opacity it uses, anti-aliasing, scale method(!!), bleed(!), blend mode (!)... what features are you dreaming of that this doesn't provide? It is far superior to Photoshop's fill tool, even. I think either you need to spend more time learning each program or you need to spend more time drawing and less time blaming your limitations on software.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

certainly more time drawing! I wanna see Aman car designs!!

Aman, please show us your work, there's a whole thread made just for you, why haven't you joined in yet? I knw you had to send bac the T902, but don't you have an intuos or bamboo tablet to use in the meantime??

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yes Aman. Don't be car design's Skip Bayless. Don't just talk about the game. Get in the game.

7. Rousing_Dipthorne

Rousing_Dipthorne Pen Pal - Newbie

Whoa... some of these sound super convenient for flatting comic pages. The gap setting especially. What I'm really curious about are the bleed and scale settings. A big part of my selection method is to go in and fill in blanks with a brush... and if I can get some smarter fills in this could save me quite a bit of time! Thanks for the info there. Even more reasons to invest in Manga Studio.

8. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

You gotta give one thing tho. He sure posted in the right thread.

MS Paint is the best deal of all at FREE.99!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

9. klachowski

klachowski Pen Pal - Newbie

True, I wonder wether it was his MS paint expertise or his nanotech anti-gravity car designs that earned Aman a rep power of 2.

On a serious note, this thread has made me really interested in Manga Studio 5. I really want to try it, but there's no trial version of it currently. Presumably when the EX version is released a trial of the debut will be available. Does any one know when this is likely to happen?

10. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

It is an absolute DREAM to do flats in Manga Studio. I had to stop colouring comics in Photoshop because I kept getting tendonitis, but when I discovered this program... man! Here is a quick fill test I did on some spare lineart I had in front of me. It's quite an obstacle course of a drawing with all the gaps, but look at the size of those closes! 20px leap across the hat :] The ONLY tool used in this test was the fill tool, nothing else.
    [​IMG]

I actually just got the trial of Clip Studio Paint (the Japanese version of the program) and applied the English patch to it. I don't know how difficult getting to the download/registration is because I speak Japanese to a fair degree, but you get a 30-day trial out of it and can use the same license on your Mac install as on Windows (haven't tried opening both simultaneously, mind).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.