Dealz on different Art Software Options

Discussion in 'Artists' started by ron2k_1, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyway,
    I have purchased Adobe Creative Suite 6 Master Collection Student & Teacher Edition.
    I will install it when I recieve my New Tablet PC.
    As suggested by my friend here online,I would tweak the settings and see if Photoshop can deliver the screen display clarity which I desired?
    Then I would test some more aspects of Photoshop.
    As declared earlier,I would then see if I really need to buy the other two softwares that is;OpenCanvas and TV Paint Canvas.
    These three (TV Paint,Photoshop and OpenCanvas) are the ones who have passed the preliminary tests during the tenure of their free demo for a month or so.I tried allmost all Sketching softwares for windows OS.

Rousing said on some other thread:

I don't care if I was not aware of advanced features of Photoshop before buying it.
    Logic is simple:If you can do basic stuff with it,you select it as a first round selection in a competition.
    Advanced feature would be tested in second round.
    I don't like your attitude.

Simple:If I fill colour in a space and if it does not fill properly at the boundries,tell me a single reasion why I should know the advanced features of Corel Painter and why should I ever buy it???????

You have to know about the advanced features only during second or third phase round of the competition within softwares.

A light advanced feature which Designers really can really take advantage of is the mirror symetrical painting.Designers don't use all of the tools and features available in photoshop which is used by photoeditors,its limited in design applications.Symetrical painting is I think available in OpenCanvas,but I think its not available in Photoshop OR TV Paint Animation.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Aman, if you need to rely on the software to tell you about proper portions, your problem isn't the software selection.

3. Aman

But in car or product designing,you don't always have much time to fill in the pixel voids along the boundries manually pixel by pixel,which can be done in Photoediting.
    In car designing,you need to generate new ideas,display them and edit them very quickly.
    You need to focus more on creative design process than focussing on filling pixels manually.And that is the job of a good software,it always make us focus on creative neat work rather than getting stain marks of pencil after erasing OR it can help us in gradients rather than manually try to shade with real life Light effects.

So,proper filling of spaces with colors or gradients between the sketches drawn with virtual pencil is a must.

4. Aman

I do agree with you.
    But If Adobe solves some issues like blurring of display and introduces mirror image sketching,then I see no reasion to use only Photoshop as my drawing tool.

However,Adobe should reconsider taking back their decision to offer New Software variants as only a monthly creative Cloud licensce.This is like a Monopoly,rather Adobe should continue to sell life-Time licences of every new version they make.Adobe is still selling CS6 lifetime licencse but that will not offer exposure to new Technologies or features available in Upcomming versions of CC.

5. Rousing_Dipthorne

Rousing_Dipthorne Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm no car designer... but I'm fairly certain nothing you said matters.

But please, tell us more about your multi-phase preliminary testing of the viability of progams like photoshop.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

The only way you are going to get perfect (to pixel) fills with zero extra effort or "advanced techniques" is if you go the vector route, such as Illustrator or Flash. They will fill a space with no errors, but of course the trade off being you have no organic pencil-like tools that look nearly as nice as Sketchbook or Adobe can (since they work in raster).

Photoshop fill tooling between your pencil lines isn't really the method a designer should rely on for filling in blocks of color. The typical approach in PS would be to make a new color layer under your lines, and color by hand, OR make a selection of the area to color and fill on a separate layer. That way your lines and colors are overlapping, making a seamless connection. Vector is the only way to avoid needing to do one of these "advanced techniques", but I don't think you are interested in working in vector if you are interested in a more pen on paper experience.

My point is, at some point along the way you gotta make effort to work within and explore with what you got, learning the way the program expects you to use it. Out of all the software out there for design and illustration I would argue that Adobe Photoshop is still the most versatile, powerful and well supported (many plugins available). In other words, with a bit of effort and research you could find a streamlined way to do your work in the most efficient way possible. Not every feature is going to fall on your lap.

7. Aman

I agree with you,Stoneseeker.

Thanks for valuable advice.
    Unfortunately,Corel painter has more problems with filling.The filling with Photoshop is most times fairly acceptable.

8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I have to admit I am unfamiliar with Corel Painter's fill tools, but it doesn't surprise me. It is supposed to emulate traditional mediums, so I think they would expect artists using their software to paint with a broad brush like you would on canvas or paper, and not just click to fill. You could try adjusting the "tolerance" levels though for better results.

I didn't realize that Corel has these nice features though: http://apps.corel.com/painterix/training/tip_vectors_precision.html?trkid=tpc0706tip1

much like MS5 rulers...

9. Aman

Yes,definately,it has.
    Its just a matter of minimum Requirnments for it to be fit for car or product designing.

I was indeed waiting for this question.Thanks for asking this question.

The prelimanary Requirnments were based on: the thinness of lasso selection line,maximum Workable area size(For example Paint Tool SAI offers lesser painting area than even Corel Painter or OpenCanvas),The cursor design options (which decides the precision with which thin strokes can be even adjusted by a mouse,not satisfactory in few softwares like Corel PhotoPaint),viewablity of selection line during use of Lasso tool,the maximum file size offered(Krita did bad here),Pixel Resolution norms in PPI,presence of lasso tool(some softwares like Twisted Brush don't have even a lasso tool),quality of opacity(Here, "NeoPaint" offers very bad quality brush opacity system),The ease with which all profiles can be drawn[either on seperate windows in synchronisation (opencanvas) or on single large canvas size(Photoshop)],Distance between cursor and input point when zoomed(accuracy of input:GIMP didnot do well here when zoomed),The quality of fill of gradient or color (Corel Painter didnot mangaed well here),the presence and quality of blurring and light effect tools,the result got when these tools were used,If the maximum file size is less-then can we use multiple canvas windows together sharing the same common eyedropper tool or common pencil/paint color & pattern, for sketching different viewing profiles of a car design-front;rear & side?(Not possible with Manga studio,etc.

I have tested some softwares whose names you may not have heard at all.Eventually,after the test,I have forgotten names of many of the softwares who couldn't qualify in the prelimanary selection process.Before testing,I also took the list of raster bitmap softwares from Wikipedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_raster_graphics_editors ) ,so that I can try all of them for windows.The test was very strictly conducted with no mercy if any component was not able to pass even a single Requirnment without an alternate arrangement.

I did also tested "PD Howler",but realised that its blurrinses and speed is more worst than Photoshop or OpenCanvas and only offers single canvas window and file size is too limited.The file size is limited even in sketchbook pro and the lasso selection in SB isn't great ergonomoically.I even tested Hornil Style Pix and some more free photoeditors like Photobie or Chasys Draw IES.

I am glad that trial versions were available.Otherwise,I would have invested in wrong software only to get unsatisfied after purchase.There are hardly any trial version softwares available in IOS supported Apple app store and thats the negative point in IOS or Android.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If I saw one of my students using fill tool primarily to do a rendering, I'd smack him/her for wasting both of our time.

You can certainly use something like the lasso tool to quickly select an area with the pen to fill in selectively, but after that, you would be doing a lot of manipulation further with the pen afterwards so that your initial selection isn't going to be even recognizable.

Choosing an app for 2D car sketching and rendering, fill tool is the last tool I would be concerned about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.