Dealz on different Art Software Options

Discussion in 'Artists' started by ron2k_1, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

Is the problem due to zoom level? Ie, if you zoom to 23.45%, it will not display as sharply as 25% or 20% because the downsampling requires appreciable anti-aliasing.

Does the problem improve if you select/deselect 'force bilinear interpolation' in the advanced GPU settings (window below)?
    [​IMG]

2. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

Guessed it right!

It is not only on the zoom level,but it also depends on the canvas size.

For particular ranges of fixed canvas sizes,the canvas appears sharp & clear when entirely occupied by the canvas space in a window,whereas for other canvas sizes,its always blurry.

Thanks!

I tried the demo version on two laptops and also on my returned Fujitsu Lifebook T902 and the expiry is over in all systems.

I will anyway buy me a student edition of Adobe Student and Teacher master Creative Suite edition which also includes Photoshop CS6 Extended.
    So,I would see if tweaking GL settings can help me,after I get a new ModBook + Photoshop Bundle.

I will first see whether the GL settings tweaks would improve the situation in photoshop.If the problem would still persist,I would also buy TV Paint and OpenCanvas.
    If problem gets solved then Photoshop will be itself allmost sufficient enough.

(The all new Photoshop CC in Creative Cloud CC may not fit in my budget.Adobe is also learning the Wacom Cintiq Monopoly of premium price,the yearly or monthly licensce could be very expensive for a student.CS6 will continue to be sold for an indefinite period of time,but as of now there are no officially announced plans for CS7.)

Also,where do I find GL Settings?
    Thanks!:)

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  3. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

[​IMG]

In Photoshop's preferences, go to Performance > Advanced Settings... in the GPU settings area. This menu is available in Photoshop CS4, and I assume it is available for other versions, but I have no guarantee. I hope this solves your problem :D

4. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks a Lot!
    Not sure but I think it should be there.

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Hey,
    I just saw a response about MS 5 on a thread at the Verge about a potential Adobe product. It has a host of very sophisticated rulers that I didn't know about. These tools are part of the primary reason I still use SBP for my landscape design stuff. Quick sketches in perspective, rotated squared or circles in perspective, parallel lines, smooth curves, etc. Pretty important for plans, etc.

Scroll down to about the 4th or 5th post-- it's quite early in the list. The gifs this guy made showing what MS 5 can do in a heartbeat are pretty amazing. ... I might really have to try it out. I wonder how optimized MS 5 is for tablet use though...??? This is one of the things I love about SBP. It's a breeze using it without a keyboard. Does anyone have any advice about this?

Link to gifs showing MS 5 ruler capabilities

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oooh, now that is cool!

Pressure sensitivity on an iPad which doesn't look like a pain in the neck? Neat! Plus that ruler. . ? I'm very comfortable with my vector line system (via MangaLabo + the Autohotkey PS toolbar), but that hardware "Napoleon" ruler looks like a really sweet solution.

I wonder if it could work on a regular Tablet PC?

The stubby end of the stylus is a drawback, but that is easily the best pressure sensitive stylus system I've seen devised for the iPad so far. (At least, as it appears in that video). Adobe looks like they may have a winner here.

Nice find, Steve B!

As for MS 5. . , one of the more interesting features in that program is just how incredibly powerful the tool bar system is. You can create your own very high-level macros, and assign tap buttons to them as a fundamental aspect of the GUI. It's a bit confusing, but once you figure it out, you can literally create a custom GUI to suit almost all your needs.

The only drawbacks on MS 5 that I found were that despite the power of the macro/button feature, it couldn't create a damned keyboard toggle/hold for the lasso tool. You lift the stylus, the selection closes. The end. (OR you're working in polygonal only, which is similarly annoying). No in between.

The other thing is that it has quite limited save, file format and compression features, (can't save .tifs with layers and it can't save .psd files using LZW compression). It's slow and clunky in this regard. It's also slow and irritating when setting up new canvases or layers (for me) because it assumes 32 bit full color when I hit, "New Layer", and I almost never want that. This means I have to go through the click-maze to switch each damned layer back down to 8 bit gray. By contrast, MangaLabo has a button for each type of layer I might want, which is incredibly convenient.

Small quirks like these, (there are many others) made MS 5 too annoying for me to use, especially when I already have other software which doesn't present such difficulties. -Which all in all, is a real shame because MS 5 is an absolutely *beautiful* program to draw in, and its many strong points are drool-worthy.

Luckily, the things I find irritating in MS 5 are inconsequential issues in most people's creative processes. People are going to love this program and many already do, for good reason. I'd definitely recommend it to most users. -Plus it's affordable. It may, in time with a few tweaks and some extra refinement, be a genuine Photoshop killer.

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Adobe making hardware?? Since when?

Imagine if they decided to make a pressure sensitive pen digitizer competitor to wacom. They would stop using the wacom wintab and make their own, forcing users to have multiple digitizers for different software, and the world as artists know it would come to an expensive and unflexible end! aaaaaahhhhhhh

but back to the topic, MS5 ruler tools do rock. Looks like the new go-to software, if only its filter library didn't suck.

8. Rousing_Dipthorne

Rousing_Dipthorne Pen Pal - Newbie

Woah.. I've never seen that perspective ruler (MS5) in action before. I gotta try that out. Or just MS5 in general as you all have definitely sold me on it.

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Steve, you just helped me kick Painter 12 to the curve. Holy moly, MS5 just became my BFF...

10. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

You are something else dude! Don't take it too hard; and you probably won't as I'd be surprised you haven't heard this before "You don't know it all" It's okay, there is nobody that does. But stop argue with people that do. There is no way I'd even think on contradicting this crew.

You did not know where the open gl option was! So why would you make the above remark? You remind me of a good friend of mines. He would never admit he doesn't know something. So he'd say something like "Not too sure but i think it is..." And most times just say bull... Oh and my friend, he's experienced EVERYTHING! You say something and he's being there, done that...

I think (here I go acting like my friend) it was Gandhi who said 'It is better to be quiet and people think you a fool, rather than open one's mouth and remove any doubt'...

By the way, in CS6 Open GL advance settings is in Edit>Preferences> General> Performance> Open GL. However the option to force bi linear interpolation is not there.

And that MS5 feature is amazing. I ended up buying it so I'll be learning a lot in the next few weeks. These are the features in that link in case somebody wanted to see:
    -Parallel line
    [​IMG]
    -Eradiation curve
    [​IMG]
    -Concentric circles
    [​IMG]
    -3 points perspective
    [​IMG]
    -or the simple curve ruler just like in the Adobe’s video
    [​IMG]

Question: where would you use the "Eradiation Tool"

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2