Dealz on different Art Software Options

Discussion in 'Artists' started by ron2k_1, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

X3 =10 + 3 = 13 :)

I haven't tried it on my T902 yet, but on my desktop it's been fine. I haven't done anything rigorous. Just some fooling around as I'm not to familiar with Painter. Maybe I'll try to do something longer in the next week or so.

There is a trial that can be downloaded for 30 days.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

NVM, it should run great on full voltage T902. I;d be curious to see how the traditionally resource hog Corel would run on a ULV unit like the surface Pro though

3. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I could try to do it on my Surface Pro before it gets sold (hopefully).

I really like the natural feeling of the Painter brushes. Some of the new jitter brushes are really cool and spontaneous like. I might try and duplicate them in MS5.

4. klachowski

klachowski Pen Pal - Newbie

Alright so it is nowhere near as cheap and I've never tried it, but TV Paint with the LazyBrush plugin looks to have extremely impressive auto fill abilities. Makes me wish I was an animator... with a lot of spare change.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. SpiralMagus

SpiralMagus Pen Pal - Newbie

So I was browsing through the latest issue of ImagineFX and found mention of this new art program called Mischief. Have any of you tried it out yet? I gave it a quick spin on my T902 last night and it kind of blew my mind. Infinite canvas / infinite zoom are the main innovations, along with strokes that exist as vectors but look just like raster painting. And it runs pretty damn smooth. This is the first time in a long while I've been truly excited about new digital art technology. It might be a game-changer. The only weakness is the brush engine which is pretty basic at this point.

Their website is here if you're curious: Mischief | Sketching & Drawing & Painting Software | 61 Solutions

Adobe and Corel would do well to look closely at what these guys are doing!

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I played with it to. Agreed that the brush engine is lacking, but the concept of a mathematically based canvas that lets you infinitely zoom and retain clarity is fascinating. It's the first time I've seen something that truly seemed to take advantage of digital art being digital. It could really do things you could never do with natural media, and it let you interact with it as a viewer in an entirely new way. I could see images made with this sort of concept in mind that a viewer would truly get to explore, in a way utterly unlink current images.

...and then I put it away. It's like opening a door to an amazing, unfinished room. Right now, to me, it's still just a concept. But it was very interesting to play with.

7. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Manga Studio 5 is on sale on Smith Micro and Amazon for ~$50.

EDIT: It seems that the sale version of Manga Studio 5 on Amazon and SmithMicro is only the physical copy... why? Seems that CELSYS Inc is selling it themselves now. CELSYS is actually selling Clip Studio Paint Pro (Manga Studio 5 is a rebrand of this same software) for 50$, and it is downloadable. Hopefully this removes the limitation of waiting for updates from SmithMicro. If you're new to the thread and wondering what's the difference between MS5 and CSP, MS5 is basically the English version of CSP before (CSP used to be Japanese only). However, now it seems Celsys is handling their own English version of their software, making no need for SmithMicro to handle the translation.

Just though I'd throw this in there, but on my Thinkpad Tablet 2, it's handling a 30000 x 30000 @ 1200 DPI basic sketch (a bit laggy, but very workable from what I can tell so far). Waiting for the sample files to download and see how well my TPT2 handles those larger files with color. Doing a simple gradient of black and white almost killed my tablet... (took literally like a minute or two to render, but while it was doing that tapping on the screen caused that window to pop up to force close) but sketching so far seems to work rather well. I don't normally work at that DPI but I just wanted to see how far I can push this on my TPT2. Just took a look at the memory, and it's still chumming away at ~256 MB of ram being used (not sure on the scratch disk). Also this is probably the most touch friendly out of all the other software I've tried. Scrolling is smooth even on a canvas this large, zoom is choppy though and does it in rather large incremental steps, rotating the canvas using touch is a bit laggy, but works. It works just as well as Onenote when switching between pen and touch. Really impressed so far. I just wish it was smoother (MangaLabo even at this size canvas worked really smoothly).

Here's the link to the English CSP site. http://www.clipstudio.net./en Oh did I mention, they actually offer a trial (SmithMicro still hasn't gotten a trial for MS5 in a year)?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    thatcomicsguy, ron2k_1 and azelll like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.