Deal of 2019? Lenovo Flex 14 with 12GB of RAM and 256 NVMe for $450 for Black Friday at AMAZON

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by Shogmaster, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

batty likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oooh, the siren call of the economy-priced AES consumer grade 2-in-1.

Been there. Done that. I have more gray hairs now thanks to that little experiment.

Of course.., it's been a few years now, and maybe, (maybe??) AES has improved? The Dell Inspiron was a lone figure emerging from the darkest jungles of Early Adopter Land, after all...

Crikey. That was 2016! What the..? Where does the time fly?

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Shogmaster

AES definitely has improved since those days. My broken Dell Inspiron 15 sits in a closet as a testament to that journey...

My most recent AES experiences, The Lenovo Yoga A940 and C940 15.6" are light years beyond Inspiron 15 in functionality. Let's just say if Wacom allowed Feel driver for either devices, I might have chosen one of them. But all things being equal for Feel support (as in F off Wacom and your sh*tty a$$ ways), EMR simply feels better than AES does still.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

Well, it's not as if EMR hasn't earned the reputation. It's an old man these days. AES is still only about five years old!

But consumer EMR pens as we currently know them are what..? Around 30 years old! Wacom's first patent was filed in 1988. PCs had barely graduated from DOS when they stormed the market. My $2000 17" computer screen was a foot and a half deep and made this weird high-pitched whine. (And was truly awesome, if I recall.) I was using the same basic EMR design back then.

Damn. If I'm not careful, this runs the risk of turning into a 'Member Berry post. I'll cut it off here.

5. Shogmaster

But let's say we take grid density and even dual role digitizer aspect of AES out of the picture. Since rest of the hardware if shared between AES and UD EMR, shouldn't AES feel just as good?

Sometimes I wonder if Wacom is kneecapping AES to protect EMR and it's "professional gear" status...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

I think it's also partly due to the fact that AES only works perfectly 99% of the time. Stray static charges and weird line noise cause rogue cursor spaz-outs. EMR is pretty much perfect. Any spaz behavior only happens because the CPU or GPU are crunching on some other heavy task while I'm drawing. That you can account for, but the inevitability of random static just made me feel constantly background wary every time I tried to draw. It's like that one unstable friend who is great most of the time, except for when s/he has a freak out. You can never fully relax.

WillAdams likes this.