[DEAL] $132 Hitachi 7K200 200GB HD at Best Buy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leaftye, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Would you be interested getting this 200GB 7K200 drive for as little as $132?? Well, some of y'all are missing out on a great deal on the Hitachi 7k200 200 gig hard drive, and there's a thread in the deals section of NBR. Firstly, credit must go to Zetto who started the thread in the bargains section, and a personal thanks goes out to my brother (Anon00) who pushed me into getting off my lazy arse and go take advantage of this deal and from whom I'm stealing some wording to make this post.

The drive to look for is a 200GB, 2.5" external Hitachi drive. It comes in a clear plastic package with red at the top. Look for a serial number that begins with "DTG". As the picture below shows, the drive is a 7k200 drive.

Here's what my brother posted:
    Before taking apart this drive, be sure to plug it into your USB drive first and check out the model number via Device Manager or HDTune. If the drive isn't what you were hoping for, the warranty is still intact, and you can return it to Best Buy without paying a restocking fee.

I've attached the HDTune results below. I don't believe the drive is fully optimized as I cannot explicitely enable write caching. I believe this has caused wide fluctuations in my HDTune results, so I'm only going to post my best results, but will post the questionable results upon request.

Here's my old hard drive. Keep that maximum 32.7 in mind.
    [​IMG]

This shows that I was able to enable write caching, but it was later disabled....to be continued...
    [​IMG]

Here's the most stable HDTune results from the new hard drive. My new minimum is almost exactly the same as my old maximum!!!
    [​IMG]

Here's the old Fujitsu hard drive out of my Fujitsu T4210 tablet pc. It's an 80 gigger, and I believe it's 5400 rpms.
    [​IMG]

This is the bottom of the Hitachi drive. It wasn't secured to the case and literally fell out when it was flipped over. You can see the SATA/USB bridge attached with two screws.
    [​IMG]

If you look closely, they look like they've already been stripped, but they are machined to prevent overtightening....nice touch eh?
    [​IMG]

After removing the screws, it slides right out.
    [​IMG]

It looks like a perfectly normal drive.
    [​IMG]

With perfectly normal SATA connectors.
    [​IMG]

And that Hitachi bridge hooks up perfectly to my old Fujitsu drive.
    [​IMG]

Which fits perfectly into the Hitachi external case. This should ameliorate any doubters about this drive being different in any way.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here are the screws my brother mentioned. I know my thumb is beautiful, don't be hatin'!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

My favorate pic.....I would've thought Hitachi would put screws under this sticker instead.
    [​IMG]

My brother used his Lenovo modular drive caddy to image my hard drive with Acronis. I'm not sure if the restored image failed because of something he did, or Acronis, but I'm pretty sure it's Acronis since it's failed me with Vista in the past. He's using Acronis 10.0.0.4942.
    [​IMG]

And thanks to Acronis failing me before, I knew to grab my Vista DVD and initiate a repair.
    [​IMG]

Once again, Vista quickly found the problem.
    [​IMG]

After I restarted, the device drivers were installed, I had to do one more reboot, and I was good to go. I won't claim to notice an improvement since I'm prone to the placebo effect, so I'll let the HDTune results posted above do the talking for me.

2. overjagi

overjagi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, a lot of thanks if someone helps me,
    I have just bought an used fujitsu t4215, but i did not really read well and said: without hard drive & caddy
    DO i need just to buy a new hard drive?, or I am in huge problems for the caddy thing..? I am confused about the "caddy" thing, do u know if i need one or not, where can i get it?
    thank you

3. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The caddy might not be necessary but a is probably pretty good idea to have. I'm not exactly sure of the Fujitsu configuration, but in the laptops that I have worked on that use a caddy, if you don't have one the drive tends to rattle around in the chassis. Now, this might not be a problem if you have an SSD and don't mind your computer sounding like a maracas when you walk around... if you have a HDD however, you could be shortening it's life with all of that jostling. I'm not sure of the price for the Fujitsu part but often these types of caddies can be found on ebay for $5-30 and I think it would be well worth the investment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.