Dead Pixel... Rest in peace (203,546)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poetdante, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Komarechka

Don Komarechka Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi. To my dismay I woke up this morning to find a dead pixel on my Acer C312. Stuck on green. As far as I know Acer has a policy about dead pixels - they don't care. Has anyone been able to successfully fix a stuck pixel? I downloaded an application (really an MP4 file) here: http://www.widowpc.com/2005/08/fix_dead_pixels.php and thats running right now on the machine. Being a perfectionist this is unacceptable, and was one of my conserns when pickign up a laptop (its why I held off for so long on the purchase of one).

Has anyone contacted Acer about this sort of thing in the past?

thanks...
    - Don

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don,

I personally am very disturbed by the whole dead/stuck pixel issue. Please read up on a story Andrew wrote awhile back:

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=187

BTW - Which vendor did you purchase the unit from and how long ago? I know that with some vendors you can get an exchange. Also, the video you are playing may just reactivate that pixel. Warning - Don't try to "massage" the pixel back to life on a Tablet PC screen. You can cause permanent damage.

Barry

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Don Komarechka

I am a perfectionist. How much do tabler PC screens usually go for? I am going into a software development/graphic art degree program and I will be using this screen extensively... a green pixel glaring back at me just won't do. This video has been playing for a few hours now to no avail.. I'll let it continue but I'm doubtful it will help.

Can I even purchase a replacement screen? I can't really send away my laptop because school starts next week, though I am confident I could do the replacement myself.

4. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I may have one on my screen. You can see a shadow underneath it so it might be dirt caught under the screen. It is a toshiba so they also do not have any polocy about it. How expensive is it to change a tablet screen (shudders at the thought)

5. davidJlin

davidJlin Pen Pal - Newbie

Yikes - it seems like DP's are the scourge of modern laptops. I wonder if it's even more of a problem with tablets, since there's constant "rubbing' of the display when you write on the screen. I can't imagine what kind of quality control has to go into manufacturing theose monster LCD displays on the big screen LCD TV's. If they're showing up in small 14" computer screens, they must be peppered all over those big screen TV's!

Don - keep us informed whether that program for removing DP's works!

6. Daring

Daring Moderator

Your best shot is that if it is a recent purchase see if you can get some satisfaction from your vendor. Can't speak to the Acer DP policy, but many manufacturers will replace the screen if a certain number is exceeded (usually 3). As far as the big screens go they have the same problems. Most people however do not watch a largely white screen from a foot away on a big screen so they blend into the big picture and are unnoticed during normal TV play.

7. poetdante

I might get mine replaced but I bought mine like three months ago...

8. Don Komarechka

I ran the program for 11 hours straight and no affect on the dead pixel. I am talking with my vendor and they said they'd get back to me...I'll keep you posted.

9. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don,

Hang tough and assertive with your vendor. Let them know how this issue affects your work (graphics), etc. If you get no resolution through a customer service rep., insist to speak with someone higher up. Keep us posted.

10. poetdante

Good advice. I don't think that will work since I only have one pixel. Although it is right in the center of my screen...so annoying...