Dark Mode likely doesn't improve battery life

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by desertlap, Aug 2, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The article linked is talking about smartphones but would apply to tablets and laptops with OLED as well.

This matches up with what we've been telling customers. eg, backing the brightness a couple of notches will do much more to improve battery life.

Related: With phones specifically, the new high refresh rate on some of the newest phones like the s21 and OnePlus 9 series also has an effect on battery life and if battery life is a concern, dropping down to lower settings help. This also why the best implementation of it is in Samsung phones where it automatically drops it

That all being said personal preference is a valid reason to choose dark mode. For me especially on IOS devices and OnePlus phones, "dark mode" just looks cleaner.

New research challenges the theory that dark mode on OLED saves battery on a smartphone - NotebookCheck.net News

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

I simply set my iPhone to auto dark mode (and Nightshift) from evening to morning and forget about it. Works for me.

I always adjust brightness as low as is comfortable. Habit, just like my compulsive app closing.

3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

And that's our recommendation especially about setting the brightness to a as low as level as comfortable.

OTOH I continue to be surprised at the number of phones I see set to 100% torch mode, and then they wonder why they aren't getting the battery life they think they should....

JoeS likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Thanks for the confirmation @desertlap.

Unless I'm outside, I rarely have the brightness on any device above 50%, often lower. Saves on the eyestrain.