Daniel Rubino / Windows Central is loving the Surface Pen

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, Sep 16, 2018.

1. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Daniel Rubino of Windows Central is really loving his Surface Go. You can tell by the number of videos he's made about it. Here is his latest, where he is finally "getting" the synergy of OneNote and the Surface Pen:

The video is about the Surface Go, but there is nothing (other than form factor) that is really Surface Go specific. Since we all have different (many?) Surfaces, I thought I'd post this outside of the Surface Go megathread. It'd be confirmation for those of you familiar with the usage and something new to try for those who don't...

One question, is anyone happy with the internal microphone on their Surface device? Mine provides "ok" performance, but I need to try out my external microphone more often:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001R76D42/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

*rolls eyes*

Tams, Marty, Bronsky and 1 other person like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Gee Daniel, welcome to the party - after how many years of Surface coverage? Can't even imagine, however, his comparison of the Surface Pen to the S-Pen, even with the smaller form factor of the S-pen it whips Surface Pen's butt (except for the eraser function). He's right in that more "surface" area to write and draw is better, but he will NEVER have his Surface Go with him all the time...as @Bronsky has proven, his Note 5 is invaluable as a pure note taker.

I guess the best part of his message is to keep encouraging Andromeda - the battle between it and the folding Note should be epic...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    dellaster, Bronsky and DRTigerlilly like this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Andromeda who? :vbconfused::vbconfused::vbconfused:

That ship has sailed and Microsoft realized it before wasting billions again. I'm convinced that it's being allowed to quietly fade away, forgotten.

5. dstrauss

Well, for those of us who are Note fans (or admirers, hopefully soon to be a fan) then that leaves the lane wide open for Samsung - MS and Samsung should double down on Android as MS Mobile and at least in the enterprise give Apple fits...

6. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

The challenge will always be the software. Many of us are huge OneNote fans. While I am grateful that OneNote has multi-platform support, there is no doubt that the best implementation is on Windows.

The Note platform definitely looks interesting when you look at just the hardware. But I'd rather have a device that runs some flavor of windows to get full OneNote support.

Tams and DRTigerlilly like this.
  7. dellaster

Well, Andromeda or whatever mobile-esque device Microsoft might make will be at most Windows 10S UWP apps, never desktop, and OneNote on iOS/Android isn't much different. As time goes on they'll likely be in sync, feature wise. No advantage to the MS mobile device.

While at the same time and continuing possibly forever into the future the *other* apps I use and rely on regularly—e.g. - Kindle, Audible, PayPal, my bank's app—won't be there. I'd have to be buying another mobile device alongside Andromeda (or whatever). Probably for voice telephone calls as well since MS insists they won't be making a "phone".

Progressive Web Apps? You'd think if they were going to be a thing that you'd see a Kindle PWA by now, wouldn't you? It's not like Amazon hasn't done an online Kindle reader before (Kindle Cloud Reader). But I digress; PWAs are whole 'nother can of worms. :p

So why on Earth would I want to choose the Microsoft folding mobile device instead of a Samsung/Android folding smartphone for my portable & day-to-day use? My Note 8 already does 95% or more of what I need (with Wacom in a silo!), if you don't count Windows gaming. Andromeda is dead to me even if a miracle occurs and it gets resurrected.

dstrauss likes this.
  8. dstrauss

This is a very interesting observation. You and @Bronsky have seemed to fulfill your mobile life largely from Note devices. I am hoping starting tomorrow I will join the fold as well with my eBay Note 9. Usually just before delivery I start getting buyer's angst/remorse - no such panic today, not even after one of my partners showed me his iPhone Excess Max order (oops, Phil and Timmy are going to drub me out of the fanboy club for not say "Ten S").

I have to believe Samsung will continue to serve the Note community - who can sneeze at multi-million phone shipments these day. If they put the yellow pen in the Galaxy F (which I have read has now been pushed back to Spring 2019 despite DJ Kho's November surprise comment) they will own the business phone market. Here's hoping tomorrow:

[​IMG]

9. dellaster

@dstrauss — Best of luck on your latest attempt at a 2-device solution! GB12+GN9 really are an ideal combo if you can successfully escape from Apple's ecosphere.

Usually after six months my eyes start straying to the next great thing, but it's not happening yet. Galaxy Note 8 + Surface Book is working great for me, the latter because I do enjoy my legacy Windows games, which play quite well with the SB's dGPU.

Truly, I think I'll have my perfect setup with a Galaxy Note folding smartphone, if it's done right, plus something (anything) to do occasional Windows stuff (e.g.- real keyboard, desktop Word) and modest gaming—something that'll play Elder Scrolls 6 (Skyrim sequel) decently when it comes out. :D

WillAdams and dstrauss like this.
  10. dstrauss

THAT will be the test - I really hope I can pull that off.