Cyber Week Confessions (2020)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Marty, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ok, I know all you guys are secretly eyeing all those deals and casually slipping in a purchase or two when nobody's looking.

Yes, you know what I'm talkin' about ;)...a quick Amazon buy, using up that gift balance so it doesn't show up on the credit card...very clever, she'll never know—but it's time to fess up here! (amongst your TPCR partners in crime)

So without further ado...

It began this Friday, when I saw the sale for the Sonos Beam and surround One SLs. Price was only $670 CDN (less than half a grand for you guys) and they come with Dialogue Enhancement and Night Mode, the two things I wish my old sound system had!

But I looked at the price of the Subwoofer—$750!!! No way heeell I'm going to pay that just for the ".1" in a 5.1 sound system (especially since I want a quiet system anyways).

Feeling very proud of myself for not falling for the upswell, I raced down to store to pick up these shiny pearly whites (minus the overpriced sub of course):
    [​IMG]
    I plugged it in over the weekend...and it was glorious. New delicate highs and subtle ambience, no more muddied speech, a convenient switch for night mode when the family's sleeping...

And the next thing I did—was order the Sonos Sub. :)

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I already had my big ticket purchase of the season the other week with the M1 Macbook Air. Can't say I was expected to see any Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on that (not the M1 models anyway), but I took a more passive approach to Black Friday/Cyber Monday this year.

I did get the $1.99 Hulu Subscription though, its got the Ads, but $1.99 a month for the first year is less then what I'm paying for 2 months of Netflix (which I'm contemplating dropping).

I also picked up an Oculus Quest 2 today. I've been considering a VR headset for a while and a friend highly recommend that Quest 2. Apparently the 64GB $299 model is only really available online, with retail stores having the 256GB $399 model, but I stopped in my local Best Buy and they had the 64GB model on sale in store (listed not available at that store online), so I sprang for it.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

4. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

I was keeping it cool, picking up practical things at good prices: a Renaisser pen for my SP4 ($30), sherpa comforter ‘cause it’s getting cold and my newly adopted kitty likes to sleep with me ($28), and a pack of 50 Hanes reusable cotton masks ($10).

Then early evening yesterday Target’s Cyber Monday deals went live and I saw the Apple Watch SE (GPS only) for $50 off.

B6D806C9-F17E-4690-AE7E-AFD0EBC5BA79.jpeg
    https://www.target.com/p/apple-watch-se-gps-aluminum/-/A-81498739?preselect=80606314#lnk=sametab

I haven’t worn a watch in ages but the features in these newfangled smartwatches have gotten too tempting. I had to try one. The SE seems a decent intro. No cellular because my provider (Visible.com) doesn’t do watches.

5. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

It wasn't a cyber monday deal, but I finally filled up the 128GB SSD in my Surface Pro X, so I got a 512GB SSD. I have so much free space now. But, the procedure required a torx screwdriver in a size I didn't have, so I got to wander around BB. I managed to come home with only the screwdriver set I had set out to purchase, despite some tempting open box goodies.

I also bought boringly practical things like winter coats for the kids and a pair of wine tumblers.

ETA: I got the Switch Mario Cart bundle "for the kids" during BB's early black friday deals.

darkmagistric and Marty like this.
  6. darkmagistric

To quote Charlie Brown “AAUGH!!!!”

https://www.engadget.com/apple-macbook-air-m1-bh-photo-cyber-monday-2020-deal-133723257.html

Of course when I would naturally expect no sales off a just released product, B&H would have a $100 off Cyber Monday sale on the new MacBook Air.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

jnjroach likes this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

No confessions for me. I have everything I need, at the moment, and none of the recent technology interests me...

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

new confession - my wife bought me an iPad Pro 12.9 (2020) and Pencil...I've used it for OneNote over the past day or so, I will say that I do prefer inking with my Pro X better

10. darkmagistric

Get a screen protector. I kind of hated drawing on my iPad Pro 12.9 till I got a screen protector. This is the one I got by a company Mobdik

https://www.amazon.com/PaperLike-Pr...re-Installation/dp/B07WFKF3QY?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Its gives it a paper like texture, to touch it feels like sandpaper, and it will feel weird at first, but once you get drawing, it improves the drawing experience considerably. As with most Matte screens, it does reduce the screen clarity and brightness a bit, It reminds me more of the screen on my Mobile Studio Pro. Once I applied the protector, I hated it right away, but after a week I don't think I could do without it.

One slight flaw, they advertise it as not wearing down the pencils nibs, I can say that is false. My Pencil 2's nib is def starting to show some wear, but its still fully drawable.

Also, if you have a Mac try SideCar, I am genuinely shocked how well it works for the purposes of using the iPad as a 2nd monitor to a Mac. Even over Wi-fi it is lightyears ahead of Duet Display and the horrid Windows Project/Connect feature. If you know anyone at Microsoft who is on the team that did the Project/Connect feature to Windows 10, slap them for me. It is embarrassing how poorly Microsoft’s attempt at this feature turned out in comparison to sidecar.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    jnjroach and WillAdams like this.