CX2620 new owner > only 2 days to exchange > help DUST

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by TapSeeker, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. extremedew

extremedew Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup and here i am with a similar experience... but this time with a cx2724 from best buy... i exchanged my old one because it was making some weird sounds =/ and now the one i have is working perfectly but i seem to be having trouble with the pen (the cursor doesnt follow the tip sometimes, and cant write on certain sides of the tip... its weird) and that it had 1 white pixel... i guess dust?

But now i just got home and the dust magically disappeared... should i worry about it? its kinda weird it was good the 1st day then it wasnt and now its good again... :(

and also the pen isnt working as good as the cx2724 i had before (i tried recalibrating it and everything), could i just go back to best buy and exchange just the pen? or should i worry about the dust and return the whole thing and get a new tablet?

2. extremedew

update: forget it... the dust is still there. what should i do?

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No question....... change the device.
    It's not fully fit for the purpose it was designed for.

4. TapSeeker

TapSeeker Pen Pal - Newbie

When you say "dust" is it a pixel that glows more brightly than the rest of the screen against a pure white background, but nearly goes away against a black background? That's what I had. It went away on colored backgrounds but on white background there it was, glowing whiter. It was easier to see it on an angle and hard to see when looking at the dust straight on.

Pixel defect definitions other than dust:
    .blue dead pixel shows as a black dot on a blue background.
    .blue dead pixel can also show as yellow dot on white background.
    .red stuck pixel shows as red on a black background.

TFT screens have thousands of pixels, on a 1024x768 monitor, there are three cells for each pixel - one each for red, green, and blue - which amounts to nearly 2.4 million cells (1024x768x 3 = 2,359,296). There's only a slim chance that all of these will be perfect; more likely, some will be stuck on (creating a "bright" defect) or dead (resulting in a "dark" defect).

If yours is dust then possibly it could get worse. Circuit City's technicians said this and from what we know about PDA dust, I agree. There's "foam tape" used to seal the digitizer, this tape could have a "bubble" in it that allows dust to get in. In other Tablet models there's other seals like for headphones, stylus, etc. that can allow dust in. Another tablet by Toshiba allows dust by a slight gap in the side of the screen.

A utility like this one can help you and the Best Buy technicians to examine the screen. They're probably like the Circuit City technicians that really wanted to help me and have a keen eye.
    http://www.dps.uk.com/freeware_DTP.htm
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pen acting funny? My second unit's screen seems less responsive than the first unit, just like yours...Then I did the calibration a few times and after a few days the pen's working fine. You could recalibrate it a few times. And could get Gateway to send you a new stylus.

Even if you got the pen to act better, you might not forget about the dust. I couldn't stop looking at that one little glowing speck on first unit. And my stylus has recalibrated just fine on second unit. Best wishes!

5. extremedew

Thanks, i really like that little program Tapseeker.

I had no problem returning it (this is my third unit in less than a week... first one had a noise coming from inside...), that dot was starting to get anoying... this new unit is perfect... lets just hope it stays that way. :)

6. TapSeeker

TapSeeker Pen Pal - Newbie

75% or better chances the new unit will be perfect per Gateway tech support. I did an online Chat with them and kept switching agents until I found one that didn't have canned responses. He had more experiences that had practical information that I could use, like 75% or better.

Circuit City technicians agreed the 75% or better is reasonable estimate.

When factory applies that foam-tape to seal the digitizer, there's like 20 minutes of assembly time, possibly dust gets in there then. Or a leak in the seal during that factory process.

You've very welcome about pixel program. Helps to have a diagnostic tool when I'm upset about something.

Calibration on the stylus might be needed, just reminder.

7. EinsteinTech

EinsteinTech Pen Pal - Newbie

You think that's bad. I had a bug or mite or something under my screen. I was watching it crawl around under the glass and there was nothing I could do. It was about the size of a pixel. Fortunately it crawled off screen and died somewhere. :)

8. tzetz

tzetz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,
    I am a proud user of CX2620 from circuitcity. Ive been using it for almost 6 moths, Until now I am very happy with it.
    However, I had the same problem two months ago. I powered the laptop and imagine there was a nice bug crowling under the glass. It went up and down and there seems to be enough space unders, since it was loosing grip and fell down almost every time I tapped the screen with a finger:)))
    I was very happy that it eventually crawled away from the visible surface of the screen before it died (the same like the issue described by the folk above).
    Besides I think I have what you call here the "Dust problem" with a tiny white speck in the left top cormen of the display. It appeared later with the operation, since I thoroughly checked everything after I got it delivered and everything fas really perfect during the first month of operation. I assume that the dust entered later on the same like the bug.
    I think the "Assembled in China" sign under the brand, whatever standards it complies to, has some finger in the the displays sealing, but whatever, we can't help about it:( .
    The same was with my digital Kodak camera - it had bad pixels on the LCD - luckily Kodak were kind enough to fix it promptly;) .
    Few more chaps and we can for a community - dont you think?:)

9. tzetz

tzetz Pen Pal - Newbie

Update,

The described white peck is definately not a bad pixel since it stays there when the laptop is switched off too. May even not be a dust particle, but some physucal damage to the screen.
    Besides teh tip of teh Sylus pen is wearing off - any solution where to buy spare.
    I saw before in Bestbuy they were selling spare pens with a set ot 3 spare tips included, but to spend 50$ on a new pen, provided that the current one works perfeclty is sensless...