CX2620 new owner > only 2 days to exchange > help DUST

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by TapSeeker, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TapSeeker

TapSeeker Pen Pal - Newbie

14 day return period is almost finished with my new CX2620 from CircuitCity!

HELP! I need to decide if the dot of white on my screen is reasonable. They have another unit to exchange this with, but I fear the other unit may have something wrong with it...maybe more pixels or dust problems.

I've run pixel applications to isolate the problem and possibly fix it. Massaged the screen too. Conclusion is for dust, not a stuck pixel, not a dead pixel nor a hot pixel.

This is what I see: 1" inch above the Gateway logo, next to the power button. It's white and about size of a pen tip. On black background it is invisible. On red it's a little visible. On green and blue it's barely visible. On *white* background it's the *most" visible, as more bright than the white background. On direct viewing angle, straight on to the screen, it's barely visible on the white background. On downward angle it is the *most* visible.

Q. Is this enough to worry about? Am I correct, that another unit may have more dust or pixel issues? Anyone out there living with, putting up with one screen issue? If this is dust and there's one current issue, does that mean that more dust is coming? Can I tap the unit to make the dust dropdown? Can I rub the screen as the stuck pixel people have done to fix it? Should I jump on the Circuit City exchange in under 14 days, instead of dealing with Gateway who might be in the level 2 of manufacturers? I dread store exchange, after two weeks of loading applications, but seasoned Gateway owners might say "let it slide" or "jump on it".

Just for reference on Gateway policy on defects, not same as dust I assume:
    "Q: What is the dot defect standard for the Tablet PC?" http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/TabletPC/3501440/3501440faq188.shtml

Thanks very much :eek: :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. TapSeeker

Tech support was mixed bag of responses. Some where canned response about pixel anomolies. Some tried the easy out, just exchange it at the store. One reasoned with me about pixel problems.

After chatting online with the Gateway tech that knew about pixel problems, I believe what I have is dust.

Please respond: Dust is when a pixel area is still producing colors, but glows most brightly under a white background?

Is one speck of dust like that enough to exchange it? What are chances the new unit won't have at least one speck of dust, that produces colors correctly but glows bright under white background?

The Gateway Tech said another unit is 75% to 85% chance to not have any dust at all.

3. ViPaDawG

ViPaDawG Pen Pal - Newbie

return, and then rebuy until you get one that works.

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dust can be a bigger problem than a 'dodgy pixel' TapSeeker.
    For example; on a PDA if it's larger enough in matter it can render the digitizer useless. You press the pen on the screen nothing happens....
    It is due to the dust making constant contact with the digitizer, thus invlolving the need to take the unit apart and clean the dust free.

Either return it or have the dust removed.

5. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't think twice about this one - just go to Circuit City and exchange it. If you see any dust now, your bound to see more in time. CC should not argue this - feel free to show them this post from us.

When there is ANY gap in a Tablet PC display, the problem will increase over time as more dust is accumulated. A display that allows for dust to enter is not properly sealed and therefore DEFECTIVE. We have seen this before with other units.

6. TapSeeker

Thank you all so very much!

Question:
    Do I understand dust correctly? The white dot is in-fact Dust, when the dot(s) can still produce colors (abeit a little off, faded)...but...on white background the dot shines brightly. It's as if the white background brings out the worst in the dust. Is that how you all have seen dust to look like, shows colors but worse on white background?

7. TapSeeker

ViPaDawG > I like your spirit. After feeling too picky, it now seems silly to not keep exchanging.

P8RSON > I had no idea it could interfere with the digitizer, glad I asked, whew.

Barry > Thanks for your ideas and opportunity to show the thread to CC. The first person I showed it to, turned out the pickest employee there. He thought as you suggest, a gap or some bubble in the strip of foam tape that seals the digitizer.

Exchanged it the next day, another very good CC person inspected the 2nd unit...but...he checked it out as a laptop, not a tablet. And I think the 2nd has a digitizer problem.

Let me know if this sounds abnormal:

On this 2nd unit I'm using right now, the digital ink as well as button taps, don't work correctly like the 1st one did. Digital ink only flows when you distintly tap the screen with an audible "tap" sound. GUI buttons only respond to taps, when I tap in that deliberate, audible tap, and I need to maintain the pressure of the tap or the button push won't process.

The crushed-box...on exchange I got a unit that had a box with the end literally torn off. It's the end of the box where the UPC label is. The accessories box is gouged too. Can't tell how much impact there was when the end of the box was torn off. Could have been clipped by a passing pallet or dropped then scrapped by something sharp. I wanted to exchange the 1st so bad that I took the bad box. Before leaving the C.City the senior laptop person went through it completely...except...he didn't check the Digitizer, just for dust, argh!

I need to get another unit, but to be fair, what to expect from a box with an end torn off? Appreciating the fact that tablets have more sensitive apparatus than your regular laptop. CCity laptop folks told me that laptops have been okay with boxes as beat up...but this isn't just a laptop.

8. P8RSON

In no way would or should you be expected to accept a box that has abviously had some form of misuse ~ you simply do not know what has happened.

When you purchase something new, you do so on the understanding that everything (including packaging) is free from damage.
    I never ever sign for goods delivered that have a damaged outer parcel.
    Same rule applies in a shop.

The very fact this second tablet is not responding in the same manner as your first would be indicative enough to believe this too is a faulty device.

Tell them unless you receive a problem free tablet, packaging, warts and all, your taking your custom elsewhere.
    Including this thread........

9. TapSeeker

Update: 2nd unit is working out fine! I took it to the store and Circuit City tech worked on it with me. Recalibrating the stylus and reloading the driver could have made screen taps better because there's no problems now.

The beat up box didn't affect the quality of the hardware. The Circuit City tech had worked in their warehouse and I can see now how a box gets torn but the laptop is OK.

2nd unit has no screen dust nor any other issue.

P8RSON > I thought the thread could help other owners; if not please remove thread at your option. I'll try to introduce new threads that are more deep.

10. P8RSON

Anything that helps other users is always an excellent move.
    This thread will always be of assistance to anyone else who has a similar experience.

As such it remains and is open for others to comment :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.