Cut the tablet screen

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by ClarkTorry, May 25, 2019.

1. ClarkTorry

ClarkTorry Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it possible to cut tablet's screen to smaller? Example 11" tablet's screen, is it possible to cut it
    to like 9". Or does it break something like touch screen system? Never opened tablet, but bought one with 32€. Just to see what's inside. Couldn't find anything from google, so I hope someone could help me out.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Maybe one day, not too far in the future, we will be able to take sewing scissors to a roll of flexible screen, and make our own posters and books and such. But we're not there yet.

Currently the way things work with screen tech, is that the shape and size are manufactured specifically in conjunction with the driver board which connects along one or two lengths of the LCD. If you cut into the screen, you might not destroy the whole thing. I have seen broken screens where 1/5th of the screen is black but the rest remains functional, so maybe...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Though if you managed to cut it clean, (it would be a challenge; I don't know how you'd cut it without causing cracks all over the place), you'd still have to keep the whole length of the controller board along one or two sides, (depending on if it's a single or double axis controller set up). I think if you cut into the controller at any point, you'd kill the whole thing for sure.

Anyway, if you try, please do share your results here!

Marty likes this.
  3. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Is the controller board integral during manufacturing? Are the connections to the controller board integral? I seem to recall that in the early days of LCDs, they would ‘print’ the screens in huge sheets and cut the actual screens out of it - they’d cut in such a way as to avoid the dead pixels in the big sheet.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

No kidding? I did not know that!

The screens I've had open were bonded with other layers including ones with traces and control chips and surface mount stuff. I bet that's all shrunk and become even more flat in the last ten years. All in all, it seems like the kind of tech where once made, disassembly is a bit like trying to un-fry and un-scramble an omlete.

Though, I'd love to see an LCD factory in action. I bet there's something on YouTube...

5. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's a fairly recent article about LCD yields. The Gen 10+ fabrication process prints screens in a huge 10 foot by 11.5 foot sheet! It could be that each screen is printed as a discrete region on the sheet, but I don't think so. The article notes that the older fabrication process would yield a few 65 inch panels, and the remaining 40-50% of the sheet's area would be cut into smaller panel sizes. The fact that the remaining area is variable suggests to me that the sheets are printed as giant screens, and that the final panels are cut around the defects in the big sheet, as I had read elsewhere (but I can't remember where).
    https://www.orbotech.com/news-event...d-management-challenges-with-large-screen-tvs