Customized HP laptops in Canada?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by thingythingy, Feb 9, 2010.

1. thingythingy

thingythingy Pen Pal - Newbie

So the base-level TM2 is now available at Future Shop and on hpshopping.ca. Unfortunately, in their infinite wisdom, HP doesn't seem to allow custom configuration outside the US so we're stuck with Intel graphics and no bluetooth.

Their sales person said that custom configurations were available from resellers, which seemed pretty doubtful... Future Shop won't order custom configurations, and the only other consumer-level reseller around (from their website) only sells printers. Possibly their business reseller consultants might be able to custom order something, but that's hardly appropriate for a consumer product.

So, at this point, it's looking like the only way to get HP to sell me the product I want and they already make is to get a US address or use a sketchy Ebay seller.

Has anyone has had any luck getting customized HP laptops in Canada? I mean, at this point, I'm more inclined to say "screw you" to HP until they stop treating the rest of world like it's still the 90's (seriously, if Apple and Dell can do it, so can they...), but since the TM2 is a pretty unique product I'm ever so slightly more willing to put up with their BS if there's a way around it...

2. JJ*

JJ* Pen Pal - Newbie

I assume that all customized laptops come into Canada from the U.S. as that seems like the only reasonable answer for HP to be so stupid to not allow customization options on the HP.CA site. A hot seller maybe, all the parts being made are for the US market first ? Does HP not manufacture laptops here in Canada ?

Personally I feel they are shooting themselves in the foot by being this dumb to ignore a potential sale and force the customer to jump thru hoops by dealing with a reseller. So far all the resellers have the basic model available only.
    I checked with NCIX in vancouver and have posted a message as to upgrade options, but I already see it as being something that may take awhile to acquire.

Patience is a virtue so maybe my sitting on the fence will yield to a competitors product appearing that is better.

3. RZetlin

RZetlin Scribbler - Standard Member

HP is somewhat slow in reacting to the Canadian market.

At this point in time you can either:

1) Wait for HP to release different version of the TM2 model.

2) Try and purchase the TM2 from the HP USA website.