Current Opinions on Samsung Galaxy Book Flex

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Exxetron, Oct 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Exxetron

Exxetron Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi! I've been lurking this forum for the past few weeks and trying to read every opinion of the Flex line so far. Seems like mostly everyone is happy with it (with the exception of dstrauss's unfortunate device failure)I was wondering how it's holding up for you guys now and if you would recommend it, as I'm seriously considering purchasing the laptop.

A little note about me, I'm an engineering student who enjoys art. I don't plan to use the machine for anything more intensive than digital painting and light gaming, but I might purchase an eGPU for it to game better and do more intensive 3D modeling. I've been using a mouse to draw this whole time, so honestly any pen input would probably be an improvement, but Wacom EMR seems to be what I should get.

I might have to leave the US in December, so I'm not too sure if I am able to wait for the Flex 5G, and the rumored lack of QLED is disappointing. My country also lacks official Samsung dealers. As it stands, I can stack the student plan and discounts to purchase the 15 inch flex i7 12 gb for roughly 970 before taxes and Rakuten cashback from Samsung.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Welcome! You already sound like a regular. :) I'm hoping others chime in with impressions, but in the meantime, did you already watch Lisa's review? She always manages to cram a ton of useful info in her videos.

3. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm also an engineer that enjoys art. I also need a good GPU to do 3D modeling that I use for work and hobby.

I'll throw down a potential idea that I currently use. I purchased a dedicated gaming laptop (with dedicated nVidia GPU with a lot of VRAM), and I use a Samsung tablet for EMR drawing via an Android app called Superdisplay. Superdisplay allows the tablet to act like an external monitor but it also retains pen usage with all the good pressure sensitivity and feel of Wacom.

I used to own the predecessor to the Flex, and while it was cool to have EMR and a dedicated GPU, the graphics capability was underpowered for what I needed. And it turned out, I was not a huge fan of having to constantly flip the screen into tablet mode to draw on.

With my new setup, I have a separate thin and light tablet for drawing that feels good in my hands. I like having two displays, and it keeps my keyboard accessible when you need those hot keys for drawing.

If you're looking into getting a setup with an external GPU, maybe look into getting a gaming laptop with a Samsung S-Pen tablet, it might be cheaper overall and less bulky, and tablets are useful for school.

4. Exxetron

Hah! I must have watched the review 4 times already. The information about the screen's quality was very helpful in making my decision, and I'm looking forward to her reviewing the 5G version.

I can see your point about getting an external tablet with gaming laptop instead, but I guess I should clarify that my budget (roughly 1300) doesn't really support me getting a good gaming laptop and a tablet as well. If I really squeeze it, I could probably get used previous gens of those devices in my budget, but I honestly just want a device where I can do my problem sets and upload them with minimal hassle, and that handles art well. The eGPU would probably be a consideration like a year down the line, as my current and upcoming courses don't necessary require much 3D modeling or projections, and what I do have, I could complete with the school's cloud computing cluster.

I will definitely also say that a large part of my reluctance is my inexperience with tablets, and worrying that I wouldn't be using the tablet much outside of drawing and writing. Therefore I am afraid I would purchase it and end up spending more money that I needed to.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Have you looked at the Lenovo Flex 5? Super cheap, apparently great value.
    Intel version.
    AMD version.
    Not sure about eGPU compatibility. It's Wacom AES rather than EMR. Very different price range, but maybe worth looking at even if just as a point of comparison.

6. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Drawing and writing is actually all I use my tablet for. I can't imagine taking engineering lecture notes without it, with all the diagrams and mathematics. And then saving it on OneNote on the cloud makes them nearly impossible to lose.

That's a really nice price for a Flex given your budget. I would also suggest checking egpu.io to find real world experiences about eGPU compatibility issues.

7. Exxetron

Man, I really wanted to like it, given the AMD processor and nice price point, but that display just doesn't hold a candle to the Galaxy Book Flex. And the lack of EMR, is a bit hard to swallow (even if I haven't used either AES or EMR yet!). To be fair, the MSRP of the Lenovo flex is almost half that of the Samsung. If it was available in the Lenovo website I could probably get the price point to around 600ish for the 16gb i5 or Ryzen 4500U model, which is also something to consider. But I think in a 1v1 between those two, I would probably go for the Flex, rather than the Lenovo + tablet or Lenovo + eGPU.

Yeah! I'm holding out for Prime Day in case it gets miraculously even lower, but I'm pretty sure this is the best it's going to get, save for waiting for Black Friday. I also had a look at egpu.io previously, and it seems like people have gotten it to work with a RTX 2070 and RTX2080ti, and it just needed a bit of a tweak so the newer driver works. Other than that, one of the reviewers there said that it ran better benchmarks than a Razer Blade Stealth with the same CPU!