Curious about different desk and computer setups

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Steve B, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

After much thought, I've held off on getting the SLS. Primarily because I decided that, for the same amount of money (1000$ out of pocket, after I might sell my current Galaxy Book Flex), I could dramatically change my office setup and get new functionality in my work/art space. I currently just have an average desk, a kitchen chair, my laptop, and a nice (old) Bose bluetooth speaker. Sometimes, I also work standing up at a bar/counter. So, rather than get a better laptop (which the SLS clearly is, with better keyboard, sound, and webcam), I'm exploring getting a...

-used adjustable standing desk
    -used ergonomic desk chair
    -used/ new pen monitor (w/ an arm or stand to use as a monitor as well as a pen display)-- maybe a new Huion 22 Plus or a used Wacom (there are some 24HDs running around, or a 22UX for a few hundred bucks)
    -a Thinkpad keyboard
    -a pullout drawer for placing my keyboard at a more ergonomic height

I've never set anything up like this ever before, but as I get older, I find working solely on a laptop far less comfortable than I used to. Do others have any experience with this? What do your setups look like? Do you have any advice for me?

dellaster, Lilawyn and Marty like this.
  2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I love adjustable desks. I bought just the frame off Amazon. And if you live near an IKEA, I'd check out the "as-is" section and find a cheap work surface. I got one I really liked, and it was easy to adapt it to the frame.

I have a Dell Canvas, and paired it up with 24" monitor set up vertically behind it. If I could do it over again, I'd get an extra wide monitor, where the keyboard sits on the left and the Canvas sits on the right (I'm right handed). Right now I have the monitor, then canvas, then keyboard all in a column in front of me. And I'm constantly having to reach or having to slide the keyboard away to draw.

Lilawyn and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've gone through several multi-monitor setups with Cintiqs and the biggest takeaway is make sure the ergonomics of your main drawing monitor are spot-on before designing the rest of your system around it.

This sounds obvious, but I've often been overly eager to setup a system and overlooked minor issues that grew into persistent ergonomic hassles.

Of the top three things to watch for, I would list:

1) Screen wobble. When you initially test out a display setup, minor vibration my not be very noticeable. However, fatigue over time causes your posture and arm positioning to shift, which can then introducing new torque / static balance into the mounting. Sometimes this results in uncomfortable (or at least extremely distracting) screen wobble. Vibration is very difficult to eliminate in many mechanical systems, so make sure to test this well.

2) Keyboard access. Depending on your use of hotkeys, I would recommend testing if you want the keyboard to the side, below, or mounted above the drawing display (or no keyboard at all, instead using a bluetooth remote or controller). For myself, I've messed with many iterations, and keyboard access has never felt natural, so I've adapted to pure on-screen interfaces. ;)

3) Monitor adjustment convenience. If you prefer changing the angle of your drawing position, you really need to take a look at a high-quality stand. Monitor arms typical won't be convenient for this because even though they theoretically offer any angle, locking those positions without wobble, is either impossible or so cumbersome you'll never actually want to do it. :p For the Dell Canvas, I use the specifically designed Articulating Stand, because it offers both ease and stability of angle adjustment.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions, but getting those three things right should get you very well on your way to a satisfactory setup. :)

dellaster, Lilawyn and nyb72 like this.
  4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

---Edited down.---

Just wanted to share-- I got a used adjustable standing desk, used nice ergonomic desk chair, a Thinkpad keyboard, and a used Cintiq 22hd. All for about 1000$. An easy trade off for getting a new Surface Laptop Studio. I'm a happy boy. This was a good choice.

I'll share some pics of my new setup soon. Happy to get feedback about ergonomics and general setup. Thanks for all the input, folks!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021