Cube i7 Book is the successor for Cube i7 Stylus, a Cheap 2in1 tablet with Wacom Stylus and Core M3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alisaad619, Jun 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I did a clean install, but yes, you'll need to make sure you backup the drivers folder because some of them might be hard to find elsewhere.

I don't remember all of the ones I needed to source from the original image, but there were definitely a few. The cameras definitely were two of them. But a lot is also covered by the Intel generic Core M drivers (use the Core M Compute Stick as a basis for those) and some were pulled in by Windows Update too.

2. jhoff80

I use this thing enough that I finally gave in. I cracked open the case and will be upgrading the storage as soon as my new drive comes in from Amazon. It's a 2242 M.2 drive, so I went with a 512GB Transcend drive. Probably overkill (at $200, it's almost as much as the tablet), but I had a prepaid Visa gift card that was expiring anyway if I didn't use it.

Still detest the keyboard though. Mostly the touchpad, but the keyboard too.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For what it's worth, the touchpad on the Cube i7 Stylus keyboard is worse.

4. jhoff80

Sketch.png
    Aaaah, much better now. (Obviously I already have a bit more installed than I could fit on the 64GB the device originally had. :D )

bloodycape and JoeS like this.
  5. jhoff80

By the way, super easy to do. A bunch of plastic clips holding the device together on all sides, and that's it. Just have to be careful with the volume buttons because the piece of rubber they're attached to looks pretty fragile.

6. jhoff80

This is admittedly only tangentially related to the Book, but previous to this I had been using an Xbox One Kinect at my home desk for Windows Hello facial recognition login support. But now I'm connected through the USB-C port to a 4k USB-C monitor... and running at a 4k resolution means the USB data ports are limited to USB 2.0 speeds. But at the same time I missed the facial recognition login. Well, it turns out that Tobii put out a new version of their eyetracking hardware (the previous version of which fully supports facial recognition as well, but requires USB 3.0), but this new model only needs USB 2.0. So, I gave that a try, and it's working great. I don't use its gaming and eye tracking features at all, but it's perfect for Windows Hello.

...Now if only someone had something similar that had an RGB webcam, but oh well.

7. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

I bought one of these. Couldn't resist, with the coupon for $270 shipped. I just hate the new pens going around, and this uses the pen I want. The good thing of course about something like this is the price. You don't expect much, so it should be fun. I imagine it gets hot as hell, and will have driver issues, etc., but it's an impressive item

I still use the Asus note for **** sake, the thing is now ancient, as is the SP 2, although the SP 2 is still great, as are all the surface tablets. The direction of pen support (going to batteries), across the board, is not the direction i'm going :D

BTW, do the other forums know about this? (I haven't been here for a while). They should, as long as the price remains this low.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    WillAdams likes this.
  8. jhoff80

Just make sure you don't forget to turn off simultaneous pen and touch in the Windows settings.

...But yeah, this is the closest thing to a SP2 / Surface 3 replacement that I've seen yet, so I'm surprised there isn't more interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.