Cube i7 Book is the successor for Cube i7 Stylus, a Cheap 2in1 tablet with Wacom Stylus and Core M3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alisaad619, Jun 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi guys, I have this tablet and the keyboard currently reviewing it. The Wacom stylus is great, one of the best I think, second to the ntrig Surface Pro 4 stylus. But I'm not much of a stylus user. Still, it's great the stylus has no AAAA battery in it and very fluid and fast to use.

The new keyboard dock is much better than the old fixed one, sadly only USB 2.0 ports on the dock and not USB 3 which would have been nice.

I've got some hands on videos of it here:

So far the only downsides are it gets very hot and poor speakers.

Koryand'R likes this.
  2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So it appears to have USB-C, DC In and microUSB, and it charges over all 3? So if my USB-C charger gets broken on a trip, I can still use any microUSB charger and be fine? (Not that this has happened with my Lumia 950XL charger lately or anything.... :rolleyes:) Also, any chance you've tried a USB-C to VGA adapter? I need to connect to projectors sometimes.

As I love the 10.6" form factor, it's pretty tempting as a Pro 2 replacement for me... my SP2 is getting more and more frustrating with keyboard issues, finicky charging due to the strain on the connector, and random reboots when moving the device these days (and seriously Microsoft, I'd pay at least double what this thing costs for Core m7, kickstand/type cover, and double the storage).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If it's like the rebadged Cube i7 I reviewed, touch is not as responsive or consistent as what you may be accustomed to on your SP2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhoff80 likes this.
  4. Hendrickson

It charges over type-c and dc in only. There is no microUSB on this one :) Haven't tried a type-c to VGA, but it should work fine. Type-C to HDMI works. Here is my full in-depth video review:

This i7 Book's touch is very responsive and fluid, this is coming from a Surface Pro 4 owner here.

jhoff80 and surfaceproartist like this.
  5. jhoff80

Hmm, didn't you say microUSB 3.0 in the video? That should be backwards compatible with microUSB 2.0 (if you look at the microUSB 3.0 connector, it's basically a standalone 2.0 shape on one side, plus an extra section on the side for the higher data rates), though who knows if that's tied to the charging circuits. It seems weird to me to include a microUSB (of any kind) if you can't charge through it (what other reason is there for that port when USB-OTG also requires a dongle just like USB-C?), but I don't know.

6. Hendrickson

Yes, it's a MicroUSB. I did just test it now, as expected it will not take charge, besides that the tablet needs 12v 2.5A+ to charge. Using my v5 2.1 battery pack and type-c plug it will act like its charging but the battery only drops in percent.

jhoff80 likes this.
  7. jhoff80

Just watched the full review. Now I'm leaning towards no (though that could easily change depending on how much my SP2 frustrates me). I can easily tolerate 5 hours of battery life and the heat, but those notetaking issues you mention are a dealbreaker for my usage.

...Although W10 Anniversary Update also does have an option to disable simultaneous pen & touch now that I think about it, so hmm I might have to think about it some more (again likely depends on how much my SP2 bothers me).

8. dmo2210

dmo2210 Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought the cube i7 book from cube's official aliexpress store and could not figure out why the palm rejection was acting so weird. I sent them a video of the palm rejection failing similar to the review above and they told me "we found that your hand touch the screen when you write , please don't let your hand touch the screen when you write ! ". Which I thought was a ridiculous response. Anyways insider build 14388 does fix the problem if you enable "Ignore touch input when I'm using my pen".

9. jhoff80

I decided to give in and give this a try, as my Pro 2's third Type Cover 2 hasn't been working all day now. I figure for $400, what the hell, worth a shot.

Looks like Gearbest is also doing free expedited shipping on it, so I should have it in a week or so.

10. jhoff80

Very early thoughts after a few hours:
    1. I'm glad I received it today so I can upgrade to 10 Pro for free.
    2. Palm rejection while writing is far worse than I expected, but I'll have to put it on the Anniversary Update and disable simultaneous pen & touch.
    3. The keyboard is pretty horrible to me. It's got smaller keys than the Pro 2 despite being about the same size. (Because of the 'island-style setup). Maybe I'll adjust but I like typing on a Type Cover 2 far more (... when it works, see my previous issues :D ).
    4. Touchpad is similarly horrible and frequently clicks when I'm typing. Not a 'Precision Touchpad' which means I can't change many of the settings in Windows natively, including reversing the two-finger scrolling so that it works the way I'm used to from my Surface. No desktop driver settings either. I'll have to look into who makes it and try to install other drivers.
    5. The two USB 2.0 ports on the keyboard will be useful to have.
    6. The device itself feels noticeably thinner and lighter than my Pro 2, but is thicker and heavier when you add in the keyboard (vs the Type Cover).
    7. The microUSB 3.0 port doesn't work very reliably with the included adapter cable.
    8. All of the ports feel a little bit more fragile than I'd like, but otherwise the build quality is excellent.
    9. 4k/60Hz video, power, and data over USB-C works great to an LG 27UD88, at the expense of slower than USB 3.0 data speeds.
    10. Also have to retire my Kinect for PC that I was using as a Windows Hello camera when I'm connected through the monitor this way, since it requires the USB 3.0 data bandwidth.
    11. Great to have 802.11ac finally (and wireless is faster than USB gigabit Ethernet connected to the aforementioned monitor due to the limits of USB-C).
    12. The UEFI settings are very interesting. Pretty much every setting that exists is out in the open. Example, you can choose to enable or disable S0ix sleep states in there (defaulted to off)... plus there's a setting for Thunderbolt 3 defaulted to off. I don't actually have any Thunderbolt 3 devices to know if it's functional though.
    13. It also comes with Secure Boot disabled.
    14. Don't do a clean install unless you're going to make a backup of the C:\windows\system32\drivers\FileRepository\ folder first.
    15. I wish I could disable the custom boot logo (Chinese text that is presumably the name of the company) in favor of the Windows one.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Koryand'R and Marty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.