CSP on Windows 10 vs Android 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shogmaster, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So for the last 2 weeks I was trying to use CSP exclusively on my new Tab S7+ natively. Then I had to do some work I didn't finish on my laptop so I fired up the Notebook 9 Pro for native and connected the S7+ via SuperDisplay for 2nd monitor.

Yes, it's the exact same app, but via Windows vs Android it does FEEL DIFFERENT.

Windows minimizes vectoring much more than Android.

I would say on Windows, it was eliminated 99.9% of the time. This includes unwanted multitouch canvas movements as well as vectored lines from palm moving lines while being drawn.

On Android, I would have unwanted canvas movement about 5% of the time and vectoring marks about 1~2% of the time. It happens enough that I have to concentrate how I hold my S-pen on the S7+ to avoid them.

After thinking about it for a minute, it's gotta be the setting in Windows to ignore touch when pen is in range. I always make sure to turn that on. I'm not sure there is something similar on Android. I don't think there is. And it's really annoying to go back to native S7+ CSP after on Notebook 9 Pro. Thank Beelzebub for SuperDisplay.

And I can definitely say that it's got nothing to do with the hardware since CSP native on S7+ vs via SuperDisplay controlled by Windows shows the difference. This is using the exact same S-pen on both devices back and forth. Android feels less refined than Windows 10 using the Wacom EMR pen. PERIOD.

But that's not all!

On Android, sometime the S-pen WON'T register makes on the first touch down from none activity. The same S-Pen on Notebook 9 Pro registers pen action ALL THE TIME, EVERYTIME. No ifs ands or buts. I have no idea why CSP on Android does this. It might even not be an Android thing but a Samsung Android S-pen thing for all I know... My wild guess is some kind of battery saving thing? Maybe for the pen's BT battery? Maybe Android battery saving feature for accessories? Whatever it is, it does happen often enough that it is starting to annoy me.

Also as a CSP accessory, Wacom Expresskey Remote is better than Tabmate simply for the fact you don't have to pair it. The USB dongle works as long as it is physically plugged into the USB port. Also, Expresskey Remote can control OS functions while Tabmate only allows you to control CSP functions.

And then there is the files... The goddamn files. I know where they are in Windows. I can tell CSP where to save them. I can get to the files very easily. On CSP, you have to use that wacky file sharing thingy that was aborted from iOS origins. It's beyond annoying and if I want to simply click and drag to another app's window, that ain't happening on Android. So I'm at the mercy of Android file sharing set up. Professional friendly this aint.

So do I regret buying the S7+? I don't know about regret, but simply based on using CSP on the go, I would prefer using something like Notebook 9 Pro 13.3. If the pricing was similar, I would definitely go for one if a decent one was on sale or even better, new. S7+ obviously has benefits for battery life and such as well as native use of Squid, my note taking app of choice, but N9P 13.3 with NVMe boots cold fast enough and battery lasts long enough and it's light enough for me to say it's a better CSP device.

darkmagistric likes this.
  2. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm also using CSP Android on my Note 8 phone a lot,and while there might be difference between tablet and phone, most of the function is still there.

My main problem is many default setting is badly optimized and I have to look through many setting tabs to look for them. For example, out of the box touch setting is " use same tool with one finger and pen" that mean both finger and pen would make lines on screen, and change it to "use different tools with one finger and pen" would enable one finger panning. untick "use finger" would disable one finger touch altogether and it does help prevent accidental mark.

The default setting of pen cursor followed the invisible cursor setting of iPad and I have to change it to "brush size" to actually see the size of my brush.

The file system I agree is so frustrating. to export a png I would need to click export twice, once to export to this "CSP Gallery" which seem to be a hidden folder that I can't find on the file system, and another step to " export" that png file from "CSP Gallery" to the actual location I want to export it to. Another thing, there is no way to import a .clip file from the main screen (it only support image format), I have to actually open a canvas to get to the drawing interface then use file>open>"CSP Gallery">import> browse the clip file. It's clunky and inefficient for the easily accessible android file system.

On the side note, I exacted the apk and tried putting CSP on a non-Samsung phone. It worked with the 1hour a day mode, but I haven't tried log in yet. Pressure sensitive is actually enabled when I plug a Gaomon graphic tablet to the non - Samsung phone.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    darkmagistric, Marty and Shogmaster like this.
  3. Shogmaster

Those touch settings seem largely carried over from desktop version. I do f with those setting when I start up a new install of CSP, but none of that gets close to Win10s turn off touch when pen is in range thingy with prevent vectoring and unwanted canvas movement.

As for file system, I did manage to find where they are stored once but its so damn convoluted that its not worth drudging through everything I want to get to a file... IIRC it was in Samsung/Galaxy Store folder somewhere.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just a theory, but maybe the problem with Vectoring and touch is because it is using EMR. Think about it, the Android build of Clip Studio isn't a port of the desktop build, its a port of the iPad build, and the iPad build was built around the Apple Pencil, an Electro Static/Bluetooth pen solution that's essentially the pen and touch all in one. With EMR, pen and touch are completely separate. Maybe when Celsey ported the iPad build to Android, its possible they didn't even consider that difference as a potential problem. Under that scenario, it could be then at least possible that an update from Celsy could resolve the issue.

Shog, did you have this same problem on that Tab S6 you had? I don't really have an Android tablet on hand to test myself, but I have on sporadic occasion used Clip Studio on my Note 9 phone, and I'm not really noticing any vector/touch problems. (but I'm not really using it much)

5. Shogmaster

Naw. EMR on Windows 10 has no such issues. Sure, Apple may be doing more palm rejection than Android, but thats not EMRs fault. Its Androids fault.

And yes its the same on S6 but S7+ exacerbates the problem cuz the screen is bigger.

6. darkmagistric

The Windows 10 (and Mac) build however were originally built for EMR pen solutions since for the longest time that was the only option. Support for Ntrig/AES/Sidecar came later. They rebuilt the app for the iPad and then ported the iPad app to Galaxy. Thats where I'd wager something got lost in translation.

7. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

With one finger panning, unwanted canvas movement have been happening more than windows version for sure, but I always blame the curved phone edge for that. I have been disabling one finger touch and use two-three finger gesture. Now if even the huge S7+ have that problem then that is something need fixed.

8. Shogmaster

Just scored a "new sealed" Samsung Notebook 9 Pen 13.3" (8565U 8GB 512SSD) for $630 on Ebay. What's the chance that its all up and up? lol

9. darkmagistric

They're trying to clear out stock since the 9 Pen was succeeded by the Galaxy Flex. That is a weird config though...I will never understand Samsung's affinity for pairing 8GB Ram with a 512GB SDD, especially since the Ram would be the cheaper of the two, it makes no sense for them to be so stingy with Ram. Virtually every other OEM would pair a 512GB SSD with at least 16GB of ram.

10. Shogmaster

Them bastards decided couple years ago that 16GB is too much for us plebs in the US market. Even the 15.6" only comes with what, 12GB? The 13.3" never had 16GB config AFAIK...