CS6 occasionally dropping pressure sensitivity then returning ???

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I'm running cs6 on my x230t with Windows 7 (non-touch model), using the newest Wacom Feel driver. I'm occasionally getting an issue where pressure sensitivity drops out, then comes back. Anyone else getting this? I'm also getting a sort of visual feedback everytime the pen comes in contact with the screen after having been pulled away far enough for the cursor not to register movement while hovering. I'd like to just remove this visual feedback. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the other problem, but I am getting some kind of mild lag/ unresponsiveness from PS, and I thought this might have something to do with it.

I've read some stuff about using older "legacy" drivers (that didn't have palm rejection?), or having to enable "press to right-click", or turning off flicks, or turning off hardware acceleration, etc. Does this stuff work? Do I really have to go through that hassle every time I want to use PS? I actually like Flicks, though I suppose I could let it go or disable it if need be, but I definitely use Hover-Right-click all the time, and don't want to disable that feature. I definitely want hardware acceleration engaged!!

Should I just be installing an older wacom driver? Is that going to solve my problem? Or is there more that I need to do to solve it?

edit-
    Not sure why this made the difference, but I just uninstalled the Wacom Feel driver and instead installed the oldest Legacy driver they had available, from 2012. Seems to now work like a dream. ??? Whatever, it works. Who knows why?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

It's disable "press and hold for right click" (not hover click) that used to be a work around in the older Feel drivers. I still keep it disabled almost out of superstition, plus I don't like it if I keep my pen on the screen in one spot it starts a right click. I would rather just use the button.
    I don't have the pressure sensitivity drop out except in the rare instance if I hit undo and draw in nearly the same instance, sometimes that stroke might be without pressure, but then its back to normal, if I wait a fraction of a second after hitting undo it never happens.
    Can you elaborate what you mean by "visual feedback" ?? I'm not understanding what the driver is doing that your unhappy with... it's hard to visualize.

3. Steve B

Well, the issue is back, so I'm looking for an answer.

Where's the Press and Hold info? Tablet Features? It's not in he Wacom UI.

Re: "visual feedback"-- I get a little software visual at the pen tip when it touches the screen. Looks almost like a drop hitting the surface of water. A MS thing? Thought it might be slowing things down...?

Btw, calibration is much worse with the Wacom driver than the native MS setup. Have you noticed the same?

4. stoneseeker

I always find the wacom driver calibrates much more poorly than the stock MS calibration.

To find the Press and Hold menu:
    control panel> pen and touch> press and hold> settings.

The "water drop" effect should only happen when navigating windows, not when drawing in Art Rage or photoshop, etc. If it does happen in software when it shouldn't I have no clue what is causing that, but I do remember a long time ago turning it off when I had a intuos... Here: CGTalk - Windows 7 - Disabling Tablet PC and Click Ripple??

looks like that should work!

Steve B likes this.
  5. Steve B

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks. Turning off "Press to Hold" and Flicks did the trick. I now get very regular pressure sensitivity in PS. I still get the "water drop" effect though, even in PS. I wonder if this is normal, and if it makes a difference in performance or responsiveness? I imagined it might.....

It doesn't appear in AR, but it does in SBP and PS....??? Does it appear for you at all? What driver are you using?

6. stoneseeker

No probs. I'm using Wacom custom driver from Fuji, but I have tried all the newer Wacom Feel drivers on the T902 in the past with the exception of the very newest, and I have never had the water drop appear in CS6 or SBP on a tabletPC, just with an intuos back in the day.
    If it keeps happening but your not losing pressure anymore, and it happens regardless of driver, you could try turning the visual feedback off entirely using the steps in the link I provided.

It is weird though. Are you sure there is not a driver conflict or driver remnants interfering with the driver? Maybe try uninstalling the driver, running ccleaner registry cleaner multiple times, then fresh re-installing the Wacom after a reset. Also double check there are the right amount of serivces in services.msc that mention "tablet" or "Wacom". An old cintiq driver service starting up automatically while you work could steal priority from the Wacom driver and cause things like that momentarily.

7. Steve B

Had a full day session on my x230t last week for work, and did have this strange experience of pen responsiveness completely dropping out from time to time. Would usually only last a few seconds, at which point I would pull my pen away and/ or tap the screen, etc. and then come right back without issue. Might have happened 4 or 5 or 6 times over the course of the day. Not a huge deal, but a nuisance.

Checked Task Manager, and nothing was pushing the machine. Some simple 5-10 layer psd's in SBP, 5400 x 3600. Nothing big. So that wasn't the issue. I might try a different driver, just to see. And if I'm feeling adventuresome I might try your idea and "clean out" the Wacom driver settings, if need be, etc. Just thought I'd give an update.

In general, though, it works great. Pressure sensitivity works fine in PS now too. Still have that silly ripple thing though. So odd..... Huh.

8. stoneseeker

For the ripple did you do this yet?

--Click Start, type in gpedit.msc and hit enter.
    --Click through User Configuration --Administrative Templates -- Windows Components -- Tablet PC -- Cursors.
    --Right click on "Turn off pen feedback" and select Enabled

That should get rid of your ripple.

9. Steve B

Hey, that worked. Thanks. :)

I wonder what the story was on the pen not responding though, eh? Will find out if it happens again the next time I work all day.

10. stoneseeker

It's weird you had to that though. You should ask Travisty if he too has the ripple in art programs while drawing. I never have a ripple show up when drawing, only when clicking on the desktop.

Sometimes while drawing my pen cursor will suddenly be an inch or two away from my pen tip for a second or two, and I shake my pen or tap the screen and it goes back to normal, usually right after using the eraser side, so maybe its a pen thing. Does it happen to you right after erasing sometimes?