Creating art on tablets remains a work in progress article

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

wow. Yeah, I bet you sales would increase significantly if it had a wacom digitizer installed, and artists caught on to it. Looks like a Cintiq/computer in one. Not portable, but cool.

what is that called? I couldn't find it on Asus site... also, that for factor looks a little unstable, I would be afraid of breaking the arm underneath while drawing.

Does Wacom makes digitizers for tabletPC's that big beyond their Cintiq line? I could see them not doing so to protect their flagship overpriced cintiq.

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's the Asus ET2300, it's coming out quite soon and really highly specced - except for a Wacom digitiser. It has everything else though and there are quite a few all-in-ones coming out soon. I've seen a Sony 10 which is very similar and they ship an art application with it - the idea being that you fold the screen down on your family table and everyone taps away at the screen to play games or draw cooperatively with fingers.

It's so frustrating that these companies have all taken it right up to the point of putting a stylus/digitiser in and then stopping.

Hopefully one company might try and differentiate?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

What's interesting to me is that other tech develops (NTrig, etc) it may be other companies that provide the capability we are looking for, rather than Wacom. I mean, what has NTrig to lose by putting a pen with a huge screen? Nothing. In fact, they have lots to gain. While Wacom has lots to loose.

My vote is for alternate tech to move forward and leave Wacom behind. The fact that the platform is being built, though, is great news. If we're getting flatscreen, powerful, portable all in ones, I think we'll get pen capability eventually too.

4. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

I share a similar view, I believe in healthy competition pushing inovation. If NTrig were more stable, they could really be a challenge for Wacom.
    I'm not interested in really large screens, I learned my art in novel sized sketchbooks. As such I am always looking for portability.
    My HP Slate 500 was good, but the digitizer eventually developed issues that made it nearly useless. I had an HTC Flyer for a while, but I saw zero support for its pen and stopped using it (dont have it anymore, I wonder if Layer Paint would work with its pen).
    The Galaxy Note is the big IT device for me now, I'm also interested in the Note 10.1, but I wish the Artrage people would produce for Android. My Galaxy note is really a perfect size, all I need now is a superb art app to work with. Layer Paint would be it if it had a transformation tool, the one thing I currently miss most.

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I would love to see a real demo video fro Layer Paint, where someone is really __painting__ with it. I've seen doodlers, but nothing really impressive. Clearly it pretty good for line work, but do its brushes have texture or apply color in any novel way? SBP has its issues, but it seems like its ability to customize the brushes would be a very nice feature to see in other Android apps.

As for canvas size-- that's a funny one. I'm doing a 7'x 8' acrylic mural right now, and I told my wife "Well, I think I've finally found a canvas big enough!" So there ya go. I've really been having fun with just the ergonomics, body movement, etc. of painting on a large large canvas like that. I can build "detail" in the sense of the overall image, but the smallest strokes I get to are 1/4" wide and a few inches long. Sadly, that's not an option for digital work. I'd like to think of ways to integrate digital work into mural or wall work if I could though. There's a lot of advantages to it. I did, for instance, sketch out the mural digitally, and do some iterations which I've used as a guide, but that's as far as I've gotten on that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.