Creating art on tablets remains a work in progress article

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

You intrigued me. I have never heard of this. Is this a piece of software you can install on other devices? Is it a special touchscreen installed, or just a driver for all touchscreen PC's? I would be very interested in installing that on my Fujitsu...

2. kakeashi

kakeashi Pen Pal - Newbie

ive only seen it on samsung slate 7, but it might work for others, i think i read it working on asus. but its basically just a program/driver you install. its just a side bar on screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sivG1vaVy4I

heres an example of the art dock, theres like setups for different art programs

3. SpiralMagus

SpiralMagus Pen Pal - Newbie

I look forward to hearing about how the Ativ Pro works out for digital art. It's definitely one I'm considering getting, but I'm curious if there will be interface issues using the 1920 x 1080 screen (menus being too small, etc).

4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can I add a "me too?" - this tablet seems to offer 1000+ levels of pressure sensitivity and the weight is astounding.

Have to say I'm reading about 14 inch and bigger Windows 8 pro tablets with frustration - not a single one has Wacom or wacom type digitizers and 10 - 11 inches seems to be the new norm for an art suited tablet.

It's like someone listened and heard that artists needed something different from the 12 inch standard but they went for smaller screens instead of bigger. I would certainly buy outright if something wacom based in the 14+ inch size exists with an HD screen.

5. SpiralMagus

I agree, a 14"+ tablet with a Wacom digitizer and plenty of RAM / CPU for Painter / Photoshop would be my dream machine. Some of the older convertibles I guess are close to that (Fujitsu T902 at 13") but not in the lightweight form factor of a slate.

6. doobiedoobiedum

If you have $3500, Axiotron are offering the latest Macbook conversion with the retina display as a Wacom 13 inch conversion tablet. It's sad that 1, nobody offers a similar conversion for Windows laptops and 2, it costs so damn much.

My budget won't justify that amount - however if Apple add retina to the 15" Macbook and Axiotron does a version, I might just sell a leg to science to pay for one.

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

What does the modbook have on the T902?

T902 costs $1800-$2300 Modbook costs $3400-$4500

T902 has 13.3" screen at 1600 x 900 Modbook has a 13" 1280 x 800

both can have up to 16 gigs of ram, both can have a SSD as large as you want to buy,

Modbook Pro is HEAVIER, at 5.5 pounds! and less battery life if you consider the modular bay battery option on the T902. Without the added benefit of the modular bay and more ports.

I would gladly think the higher price of the modbook pro justified if it included a high end dedicated Nvidia GPU, but it doesn't. Or a bigger screen, like a retina display pro. But nope. Just an inferior and more expensive product to the T902, unless you are really hooked on OSX, in which case it is your only stylus enabled option.

T902 is the king of the hill for creative professionals wanting a portable solution powerful enough to run demanding programs right now. I only wish there were more options though. I would kill for larger screen and dedicated GPU.

8. SpiralMagus

Yeah that Modbook is way too expensive for me and I much prefer staying with Windows since it's the platform I already own software for.

I'm definitely considering the T902 - it would pretty much be able to replace my desktop for all of my work / creative purposes. I like how expandable it is. I can probably live without a dedicated GPU as I'd still have my desktop for serious gaming.

9. doobiedoobiedum

I'm not in the market for a modbook but to answer your question - the Modbook Pro has 512 levels of Wacom pressure sensitivity and the Retina screen size is 13.3 (not 13 as you mention). I certainly wouldn't pay nearly twice the price for an extra 256 levels of pressure OVER a t902 though - I might find it harder to say that if Axiotron produced a 15inch version as Apple already have a 15 inch screen (which is not yet Retina standard.)

The point I was trying to make though was that I find it strange that there are and have been larger laptops going up to 17 / 18 inches but as yet, nobody is proposing a Microsoft Surface style laptop in the PC (or Mac - to be even handed) larger than 12 inches. Nobody has done for PC multimedia tablets what Axiotron is doing for Apple laptops - i.e. taking a large Windows laptop with high quality screen and building a 15 - 18 inch slate style laptop because I would definitely buy. I believe a whole lot of other users would buy too.

At the moment, we are making do with convertibles built specifically for business consumers, 256 levels of pressure sensitivity etc etc. Even the t902 - if that came with a larger screen and more sensitivity it would sell whole sale to the art community. I look at it and find reasons to justify NOT spending my money yet and making do with the kit I have now.

*********************************EDIT********************************

Question: how did Axiotron start up and what start-up costs did they have? If I had the resources, I would certainly consider starting up such a business - focussed on PC users and looking at a 17-18 inch Windows slate with at least 512 levels of pressure as a starting point.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  10. doobiedoobiedum

[​IMG]

Pivoting 23 inch 1080p HD screen, high quality sound, Windows 8 Pro and i5 or i7 processor; it will even run NVIDIA's GT 630M GPU if you don't want integrated Intel graphics.

Now, all I need is someone to work out how to put a 23 inch Wacom digitiser in there and this is the machine to end all art machine dreams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.