Cracked my x220 tablet display

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by bonoz, Mar 14, 2012.

1. bonoz

bonoz Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortunately I cracked my display. When I was closing the lid one of my ear phones was sitting on the keyboard on the side. It easily cracked/shattered the bottom right of the display. Thankfully the laptop is still operating, monitor is working. The touchscreen on the other hand is not. The touchscreen on the right half of the monitor is gone. Touchscreen on left is ok. But the pen is working all over which is great. Here's a picture:

From the side:
    [​IMG]

From the front:
    [​IMG]

As you can see it's not so bad - I can 'live' with it. But just out of curiosity - is there anything I can do about it? get a replacement? warranty would probably not cover it, right? any chance of a free replacement? (I once sent a camera to this online place for a broken screen and they fixed it for free using my camera's warranty - not sure how that worked - but is there something I can do here like that?)

Thanks

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Scribbler - Standard Member

Unless you got the accidental coverage, I'd say it's unlikely they'll fix it for free. Unfortunately, a repair by Lenovo, which is the only way to keep your warranty in tact, probably will cost as much as a new machine. That's too bad. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

3. bonoz

bonoz Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks!

Any chance I could purchase just the screen from somewhere and replace it myself? I am mechanically inclined.

4. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

There are usually some new and used screens on eBay and sometimes whole machines for parts with something else scavenged. You may be able to find a replacement for $200 or less.

Since it works for you in the meantime, take your time.

Maybe someone else can chime in if they know but there are also some part outlets that have parts for Thinkpads on the net. I remember obtaining a snap on door for one of my laptops once.

5. darthhen

darthhen Scribbler - Standard Member

Ouch! Oh man...let us know your progress.

6. fatpolomanjr

fatpolomanjr Pen Pal - Newbie

I just asked a UK seller of a $115 "X220T LED screen" on ebay the following question:

"This screen is for X220T, but does that mean it has an Active Digitizer and accepts Pen and/or Multitouch inputs? I believe X220T is the tablet version of the X220, but I can't tell if this screen has the tablet capabilities of the original X220T screen."

Usually sellers for such screens sell the entire LCD assembly for $400+, so it seems the price is too good to be true.

7. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

You're lucky in that your display is fine and just the front glass with the touch stuff is really damaged.

I haven't seen the x220t's display out of its shell yet, but my guess would be the following:
    The digitizer is still an add on board behind the screen that is detachable via screws and/or tape, some glue. The actual panel will have the glass mounted via some translucent glue to it. I know several people failed to separate the glass from the actual panel for the x61t SXGA+ display.
    The touch screen should be a thing layer on the panel facing side of the glass.

So if the seller offers just the panel with the glued on touch screen, you should be able to just switch over the digitizer on the backside. It's more work, but not paying for a second digitizer could be the reason for the lower price and is also a benefit ;)

8. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Pen Pal - Newbie

If you do get a complete screen assembly, do recall that Lenovo's maintenance manuals are available to all and the instructions for replacing the complete assembly will be very detailed. They will also get you partway through the job if you end up mounting a new screen in your old lid. I am a bit sensitive on this score as Fujitsu manuals are only available to their "authorized" service stations although Lenovo and HP actually encourage customers to swap FRU's themselves. My daughter now has a Fujitsu T5010 mounted on her wheelchair as her voice-output communications computer, and I'd much rather handle maintenance myself than leave her "gagged" for as long as it takes to get "authorized" service.

9. fatpolomanjr

They replied: no touch screen. But it's a start I suppose.

10. ZaZ

ZaZ Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think that exactly true, at least not in the case of Lenovo. I can't say for HP. FRUs are not considered user replaceable by Lenovo. Doing so will likely leave your warranty suspect. Now you could send it in and they might never know, but if they want to make an issue of it, they can.

11. bonoz

bonoz Pen Pal - Newbie

Any other ideas guys?

Thanks

12. heezy

heezy Pen Pal - Newbie

I found this screen on eBay which isn't too bad. It just has scratches towards the bottom just like mine from being closed and opened. :p

It said it was ending soon, so I don't know if you'll see this before the time ends.

LENOVO X220 TABLET 12.5" LCD Multi-Touch Screen | eBay

13. fatpolomanjr

Hey I have those scratches too but on my screen protector. This is making me question whether they are actually on the screen. There is no way I'll find out though because I'd have to remove the screen protector. Applying those is one of the worst things a person can do.

14. vanmaineac

vanmaineac Pen Pal - Newbie

I feel your pain bonoz. I did the same exact thing last year with my x201t and have been living with the same symptoms you are experiencing since then. I contacted lenovo and they wanted something like $900 to replace not just the touch screen but the whole thing screen and lid, so I left it as it was and tried to ignore the massive cracks.

I recently found this "touch glass" on ebay. Is this all I need to fix the touch screen functionality?
    X201T TABLET LCD 12.1" TOUCH SCREEN GLASS

15. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That would be impossible to do with that, the link is to a 16:10 12.1" screen front (plus I doubt it is an original part, its probably a cheap knock-off -ie: a regular resistive touch front that they are selling 'for' the X200t & X201t); the X220t is a 16:9 12.5" screen size... you will want to do your best to find an intact screen with touch screen rather than try to replace the touch screen yourself because for starters you will probably not be able to apply it all that well (the touch screen part is a piece of glass with strong double sided tape lining all sides, you not only have to apply it all down without getting debris on the tape as well as stick it firmly enough and straight on, but also ensure there is no dust -of any kind- under the screen when you put it down as it will be very obvious)

Your best bet would be to buy a whole screen assembly; or to buy another X220t on sale (I think they were going for under $1000) then either swap out the screen assembly, or simply the ram, hard drive and such; then sell the one with the broken screen and recoup most of what you spent)

16. vanmaineac

vanmaineac Pen Pal - Newbie

Knew it was too good to be true.

Thanks for the quick response, I think you're right I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get the new one, which is just terrible... ;)

17. bonoz

bonoz Pen Pal - Newbie

Update

So there is no update. I decided to live with it and now the symptoms have evolved and now my accelerometer is screwed up. So my screen rotates every time the screen gets nudged. Just the slightest touch and the screen rotates. So I have to use a nifty keyboard shortcut (CTRL + Up) to reorient the screen.

The question is... do I continue to live with it? do I get it fixed and pay some hundred dollars? or do I somehow try to sell this (it's still functional but cracked screen and screen rotation problem) and get the latest x230t (is that supposed to be better?)?

Thanks

18. fatpolomanjr

19. mricchio

mricchio Pen Pal - Newbie

Check Out a website called iFixit.com they provide free guides on how to take almost every electronic apart- and they sell the tools needed as well.