Covertible/2 in 1 for a traveling digital artist.

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by tablet guy, Mar 20, 2015.

1. tablet guy

tablet guy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hiya! I currently own the Acer r7-572g, I love it but my only issue is that it's waaaay too heavy to travel around with, that is why I am looking for a secondary device that can covert into both an ultrabook and a tablet. Currently I'm looking at the Acer Switch 10, but I'm worried about the Atom baytrail Processor, could you give me a review of it's real life performance? It's hard to determine real life performance from benchmarks.

Here are my preferences:

1. What is your budget? - $2,000

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? - Yes.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? - Yes, but not android and ios, I need a machine for productivity.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches - No.
    • 7.1 to 10-inches - Maybe.
    • 10 to 13-inches - Preferred.
    • Above 13-inches - No.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? - Philippines, available brands are limited to: Acer, Asus, Samsung, Lenovo, HP and Apple only, unfortunately.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? - No, not at all, as long as the unit fits my preferences I'll purchase it, I don't care about the brand.

7. How many hours battery life do you require? - 5 - 7 hours would be ideal.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) - Graphic Design, Digital Illustration, Word Processing, Skype video chat with clients, gaming capability(simple games like l4d2) would be ideal.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently? - No.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) - Photoshop, Illustrator, Microsoft Office, Skype, team Viewer, simple games like l4d2, FNAF, Dota 2 etc.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. - Preferably but not a necessity. L4D2, FNAF, Dota 2.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? - Preferably but not a necessity.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? - HD, IPS for design.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance - Yes I will, but display quality and color fidelity is more important.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance - Yes, this is a must, either will do.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? - 64GB ssd with expandable memory or 300GB hd is fine.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? - Yes, all of these.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I'd greatly appreciate your help!

2. FiDeLiuS

FiDeLiuS Pen Pal - Newbie

I guess Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 12 or better the 260 when it gets released is the best solution if you want a penabled convertible with a complete range of ports. - If you don't mind carrying the pen around seperatly the HP Spectre 13 360 can be a good solution too.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Given your budget, you should look at the VAIO Z Canvas and Surface Pro 4.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Depends if he values a fixed keyboard.