Couple questions from a prospective buyer

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by SDreamer, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

I have been drooling for over a year about this device, and am nearly dehydrated so I'm thinking about seriously buying this thing now. I do have a couple questions though.

1. How essential is a screen protector. I understand that the screen is infact plastic and not glass (big bummer but I guess I could live with taht). Does it scratch easily? My use is for academics and some art (pharmacy school)

2. The case etchings. In the palm rests, do they accumulate gunk? My hands are rather sweaty, and gunk accumulates on my palm rests and mouse. I constnatly clean off my device and keep my hands clean (maybe too much sometimes), and would cleaning the palm rests on these be tediuous because of the etches or did hp clear coat the stuff?

Thanks!

2. shyam111

shyam111 Pen Pal - Newbie

when i had my TM2 i wrote on it everyday and never scratched it once. But each to their own, I hear that many people simply buy one to get the rough texture on their screen so it makes the inking experience more enjoyable.

whenever my palm rest got dirty, just used some cleaning spray on a cloth and wiped the rests clean. the grooves didn't seem to get in the way

3. SDreamer

That's good to hear. So are the groove really deep or just like a texture feel on the palm rests? I think the only thing I don't like is the color and the etching design, but I think it's worth it for the functionality.

Oh another thing, does anyone use Paint.net? I was wondering if multitouch worked with that in regards to pinch to zoom. Or maybe Photoshop elements?

Thanks! :D

4. Juke

Juke Pen Pal - Newbie

I would't recommend buying a TM2 at this point, since CES is just around the corner and we could see the succesor of this amazing tablet on Q1.

5. SDreamer

I know that type of thinking very well. At the same time, I hate being an early adopter because of pricing. I want to get the tm2 now since this is probably around the time the price starts dropping as HP sets out to release a newer model. Yeah, I'll probably lust for it, but at least I saved some chunk change for later on. If I wait for the newer model, I probably won't get it till the end of next year, in which time CES is just around the corner. And then the cycle just repeats itself over and over again, and I'll never have my fun.

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1. I would say don't worry about it, just be careful and use it smartly. (It has a thin plastic film "screen protector" on top of the actual screen; it looks kinda like a sticker at the bezel edges, so I'm sure it is a screen protector, and it is also there to give the screen better traction with the pen) Also get different pen Nibs so you don't scratch/ wear the screen (see below)

2. I have sweaty hands too (GAAAHH... its so annoying) and other devices always get gunk as well. The Tm2 is apparently the exception, as the metal (even the etched parts) don't get full of gunk, and when it gets stuff on it you just need to wipe it down with something so it is clean again(your hands, or a napkin usually do the trick). I've used my Tm2 for a long time now too.

I would say get the Tm2 NOW, as the market seems to be heading (mostly) to having underpowered, and useless Android/iOS devices. Anyways the Tm2 is a real workhorse and powerhouse (super multi-tasking Tablet FTW!). Plus the Price on the Tm2 (fully spec'd) is still really low, meaning more accessories, and more money to keep living (Yay!).
    I would bet that the next iteration of the Tm2 (Tm3???) will be even more underpowered. I say this because of the people whining about the Tm2 being warm running when doing a lot of work (some people these days), and because there are now millions of people who want "iPad like" devices... and because HP is going to want to push their newly gotten WebOS (when they bought up Palm). So when you add it all up Price+ Future Market Trend+ the Tm2 is awesomesauce+ not having to wait= BUY THE TM2 NOW!!!

*No matter what tablet you get, I would recommend that you buy the Wacom Nib Multipack as the White tiped nib is great for writing and doesn't feel like you will gouge the screen, and the felt tip is great for drawing (the others are good for other things, just try them out) You may want to buy it with a friend that has a Wacom Pen Tablet (Tablet PC, Bamboo, Intuos, or Cintiq) as it'll be way cheaper and you both get some good accessories (maybe find someone in a digital art class, ask around, because for $12.50 a person it is worth it)
    PS: I did that, and it worked out very well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015