couple questions before I pull the trigger

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by thirdeye, Feb 26, 2010.

1. thirdeye

thirdeye Pen Pal - Newbie

~ 2 hours is acceptable. I think most laptops charge the first 80% in an hour and the last 20% takes another hour. I swear my HP DM3 took nearly 3 hours to recharge, when it couldn't even last 3 hours away from the charger.

I'm being somewhat picky about fine scratches on the screen after seeing how easily some devices get them, like my cell phone's touch screen. I'll probably test out the anti-glare/scratch film anyway, since I've yet to see anyone discuss this yet and that's one thing I love about my HP 6930P, the anti-glare screen.

2. hyperrage

hyperrage Pen Pal - Newbie

yea getting the su9600 isnt a bad idea by any means either. especially as its one of those parts that cannot be upgraded like the other parts. well at least as easily, who knows someone might find a way to rip out the cpu and put in a better one. if i had a choice i wouldve gotten the su7300 with ati and a spare battery, the su7300 already has enough performance from my real world testing today.

oh also i forgot to mention i have the 1070ca model, meaning no ati chip. so all that work is based of the integrated graphics chip.

3. hyperrage

for me its not that its just because of the anti-glare, but the screen protection aspect. unlike my netbook this thing is a real investment and i hope it stays alive for at least till my final year of uni, 3-4 years fromnow. so the more i can prevent happening early on the better. tho surprisingly my netbooks survived my rough treatment for a year now and its still kicking just fine.

4. thirdeye

shouldn't be far off from an SU9600 w/ ATI 4550 right? Since it's got integrated graphics and would be running on IGP off the charger.

From what I've read so far... HP has impressed with the TM2. Has pretty much everything I've been looking for in a laptop and then some. Kinda like Asus' UL30VT, but better :D

5. thirdeye

That shouldn't be a challenge for this laptop, I'd imagine. My HP 6930P is my 3rd HP and I've owned a Sony, several Asus models and despite what others may say, I've had the best luck with HP. My first HP is still alive and kicking from after more than 5 years of use. Sony is about 8 years old and still works, but the screen died in 1 year, the Asus models all had shoddy plastic build quality and were either sold or returned.

6. hyperrage

yea, just saying these numbers are based of the inegrated graphics, not the ati. if it was that would be amazing.

tbh it was between the hp tm2 and the asus ul80vt, dedicated graphics. both had similar specs, but the tm2 was $200 more, but with a tablet screen and much bigger trackpad. also i wouldnt need to import the thing like the asus model. but then the 1070ca had no ati so it was graphics vs tablet, but seeing as im offloading my graphics design work to my desktop, i said ok to the inegrated.

now im completely satisfied with the laptop and its an awesome product, loving it completely. now im sure im going to be a tablet pc person for life.

7. thirdeye

downfall to being a tablet pc person is... you don't have many options available. at least until it becomes more mainstream.

upside for me is, as long as one fits my needs, I won't be tempted to buy a new laptop every 1-2 months :D
    I'm sure I'll be satisfied though, this seems to fulfill all my major requirements for the perfect laptop:
    - 5+ hr battery
    - less than 5 lb
    - decent GPU for moderate gaming
    - not cheap plastic build
    - nice keyboard and trackpad

Only parts it fails is with the lack of anti-glare screen (hopefully fixable with film) and inability to support 2 internal HDD. Also wish it had an eSATA port and dedicated page up/down and home/end keys.

I pulled the trigger, thanks again fellas

- Intel SU9600
    - ATI HD 4550
    - 4GB DDR3
    - 320GB HDD
    - Bluetooth

Subtotal = $1024.99 (+ another $100 for f*cking CA sales tax :mad: )

Now comes the most challenging part... waiting for the damn thing to be built and shipped! Estimated build date is March 10

8. AEDan1977

AEDan1977 HP Tablet User

Congrats on your order. I did find even though it is not labeled, on my tm2 if i hold the FN key and hit the up or down arrow, it does page up/down. so not that big of a deal just one extra key to press.

9. thirdeye

thanks for the heads up. Yeah, looks like it's the same setup as my HP DM3, I read that HP didn't label those secondary functions on the keys for some reason, which is fine I guess... it cleans up the look a bit

BTW, HP just dropped the price of the TM2 an extra $50! I think it's a 3 days Spring sale. I called in and they were able to adjust the price... so it came out $974.99. Much better specs than the retail models, but $5 cheaper :D

10. satchmo0016

satchmo0016 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, I ordered mid-Feb ... 1250 + tax. :(