couple questions before I pull the trigger

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by thirdeye, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thirdeye

thirdeye Pen Pal - Newbie

I've read most of the threads, but still have some questions that weren't answered or needs confirmation. I've gone through over 6 laptops in less than a year because there's always something that makes the laptop a dealbreaker for me, so I want to be 100% sure I'm making the right decision this time. My typical usage on a laptop includes: web-browsing, word documents, watching videos, some moderate gaming, and possibly some PS work.

- is there a noticeable improvement from the SU7300 to the SU9600?
    - only LV cpu I have personal experience with is the AMD Neo l335 from the HP DM3 and it felt dog slow and would easily reach 100% cpu usage. How does the Intel SU7300 and 9600 compare?

- HP claims 9.75 hrs of battery, which I'm sure is exaggerated, but how close can you get to that with screen at 50% brightness, wi-fi turned on, BT turned off, and doing some web-browsing + word document?
    - battery life when watching a video with screen at 100% and volume at 100%?
    - my HP DM3 recharged the battery incredibly slow... Any estimates on how long it takes to recharge?
    - also, my HP DM3 suffered significant battery wear of about 3-5% per week. Any known battery problems with the TM2?

- does the screen fairly scratch resistant? Will installing an anti-glare film compromise the screen's touch ability at all?

Thanks

2. satchmo0016

satchmo0016 Pen Pal - Newbie

I went with SU9600/4550 and 6GB RAM, and I'm fairly certain if I got the SU7300, I would have had a little buyers remorse..

I'm a student, so coinage is always an issue - but I feel that the few extra hundred is insignificant compared to the assurance that you wont have any regrets over it.

Worse case scenario, wait an extra week and save, right?

The performance is much more adequate than I expected. I have no issues with Solidworks, Photoshop, or videos.

In regard to battery, I can make it through 6 50 min classes (hibernate in between each class) plus run CAD software for about 2 hours all on the intel onboard GPU, brightness 50%, and wifi half of the time - that put me at ~4%. I've only had it about a week, but wear on LI-Ion battery is dependent on the number of cycles, provided they're not being overcharged regularly...

--
    S

3. thirdeye

nice, that's approximately 7 hours?
    I'm expecting 5 hours, but would be very satisfied with 6+ hours.
    My current setup (HP Elitebook 6930P) is a 6 cell primary battery + an 8 cell secondary battery (which makes my 14" laptop weigh nearly 6 lbs) and that barely hits 5 hours. I even have a spare 6 cell battery and it's getting a bit ridiculous lugging all of them around and making sure each is fully charged...

that's what I figured... better to spend a bit more if it's gonna help eliminate the possibility of buyer's remorse. But I also figure, if the SU7300 is sufficient, I can use the saved money towards an SSD.

4. satchmo0016

Yes, I'd say about 5 hours of light/moderate and 2 of moderate/heavier.

Oh, I forgot to mention - the class time is spent in tablet mode using OneNote.

You a Tool fan?

5. hyperrage

hyperrage Pen Pal - Newbie

1. from what i gathered from the forums and other places and just looking at the numbers, the 9600 doesnt have any real world speed improvements. sure maybe if your capping out the cpu at 100% trying to do something, convert a video for example, maybe a few seconds faster? no real idea on what the actual speed boost is, but its not a life changing experience.

2. i just took out my tm2 to my first lecture today and spent the 3 hour lecture taking notes. no hiccups or anything, if i could i wouldve recorded video of the whole inking experience but being in class and stuff. but i had onenote, gmail, msn with a bunch of chat windows going, and no lag or anything of the sort. was interested to see the cpu/ram usage and opened up task manager, and stayed well within 50% cpu, and never took up more than 1.5gbs of ram. well untill i loaded up some more pages in firefox, but thats supposed to happen.

3. 60% brightness + wi-fi + gmail + msn + onenote, had it runnin for at least the 3 hours lecture and my one hour group meeting afterwards. had around 50 minutes left according to a battery meter program if i recall afterwards. tho seeing as i was looking at a battery meter program vs the built in windows battery meter (no battery time length on the meter, stupid hp). so while that would suggest 5 hour battery life, the program may just be calculating based of not doing anything at the time. think i had around 15%-10% at that time, so 4 hours solid runtime for me at least. worse than my netbook with 9cell battery (8hrs easily on that no problem) but good enough for a lecture or two. and its easily usable in 30-40% brightness as long as no lights are behind you.

4. cycled my battery last night to make sure i didnt get another dud battery by watching videos at 90% and audio 25% (at night), managed to finish 2 full episodes and a half of destination truth. forgot the length of each episode, but it was at least 40-50min each. was streaming this over wi fi too, and i was at around 80-90% battery when i started. stopped at around 8% to charge the thing for my lecture today.

5. other than my dud battery i got with my first tm2, nothing really? theres some sort of weird problem tho that the battery meter in windows doesnt get the time left while using the battery. forgot which thread was discussing this but yea, its not specific to me but everyone afaik

6. it doesnt feel like glass, but after inking for a good 2 and half hours straight, i feel confident i wont scratch. well as long as you dont jam the pen at the screen or somethin. within reasonable use it shouldnt scratch. keeping an eye on that screen protector thread too, if touch and pen doesnt get affected by using an anti-glare screen protector i will buy one right away.

6. thirdeye

that's good to hear... much better than other estimates I've seen. Plus, I figure tablet mode probably consumes more battery with the touch screen. I guess I can at least save $60 and skip on the spare battery. How long does it typically take for the battery to recharge?

does the screen accumulate fine scratches over time? Because that'd bug the hell out of me...

<--- Tool fan :D Most people think I choose my user name because of Third Eye Blind... :rolleyes:

7. hyperrage

fine scratches? what fine scratches, i see a damn mirror. :)

jokes asside, i went to the dollar store yesterday to get a small microfibre clothe, yea im keeping my screen shiny. when i got home today, took it out to clean it. after cleaning all i see is myself. quite literally, i dont see any type of fine scratches. tho i havent used it as long as other people to ink so ymmv.

when i had to recharge the thing after watching videos last night, i stayed up for a good hour and a half before unplugging it and going to sleep (the charge light was still amber so it wasnt fully charged). after waking up this morning, i plugged it in while i was getting ready to leave, 25-30min later i look at the light and its white, turned it on 100%.

8. thirdeye

I appreciate the very thorough responses fellas

I'm leaning more towards the SU9600 the more I think about it... If I go with the SU9600 config, I can eliminate some extras to cut down on the cost. I don't need the 500gb hdd (gonna replace it with my Hitachi 7k500 or SSD), spare battery, BT, external DVD drive, etc. It should come out to about $1000. The SU7300 config would require me to add all the extras to make the coupon eligible with a total of about $900. So for $100 more, it seems like the better option for me.

9. satchmo0016

The charger says 65W(18Vx3.5A) and the battery capacity is about 60Wh at 13.02V -> 4.5ah..

I'd say that the difference in potential(battery and charger) is to haste the charging process but trickles off somewhere around 12V and is controlled on the PC.. most likely. So math says about 1.5 hours from complete discharge while the machine is NOT running.

Naturally, that's assuming no extraneous losses and et c.

TOOL. :D

10. hyperrage

yea that sounds right, as when i was charging it straight for an hour and a half it was on, and while charing this morning while i was getting ready, it was off.