Could This Be The USB-C - Surface Connector?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Jul 13, 2017.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

JoeS likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

And for only $80 it's a steal! By Microsoft..

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What an ugly looking adapter.....I guess because it has to function as a Charging AC....they had to make it that large.....however...the fact that it connects to the Surface Connector Charging port....would indicate that the charging port....despite its form.....is capable of USB data/in out beyond just power.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the fact that it connects to the Surface Connector Charging port....would indicate that...is capable of USB data/in out beyond just power...>>

It wouldn't make sense to field such a product if it only did power. More interesting to me will be the data rates; I seem to recall that the Surface Connector was (supposedly) designed to support substantial data rates.

Although, Microsoft may have simply implemented some variant of the USB-C standard with data rates to match...

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hope springs eternal...:rolleyes:

Better than the $99 wonder pen that is a necessity...:confused:

It's spelled K L U D G E...:cool: no TB3 ("...the adapter will require an external power source with a minimum power output of 27W and 12V to power displays and the laptop..."), and rhymes with...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    dellaster likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

"That's because the main idea behind the Surface Connect to USB-C Adapter is to let the Surface Laptop and Surface Pro connect to Type-C hubs, displays, and power sources rather than a simple USB-C thumb drive."

So, why spend $80 for this (which still requires a USB-C non-Thunderbolt 3 dock with external power) vs the existing Surface Dock which comes with power, FOUR USB A ports, TWO display ports, and Ethernet, for $200?

And they "brought the thunder" to quote Panos, THEN they would have something to talk about. It also makes me wonder just how capable the Surface Connector is relative to TB3. Apologists are always saying it is "even more capable" so where's the beef to this USB-C adapter?

8. dellaster

On the plus side it does allow someone to finally start accumulating modern USB-C accessories instead of wasting money on legacy Surface Connector & USB-A stuff.

True, TB3 capability would be ideal, and you have a good point about all the claims of the Surface Connector being better than TB3 and "where's the beef?", but they probably still have a warehouse full of Surface Docks to unload. They can't make it obsolete yet! :rolleyes:

lovelaptops likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Smart man, @dellaster .

10. dellaster

Meanwhile, the folks at Apple apparently haven't heard that TB3 is full of issues and not ready for prime time :rolleyes:. They just released their own eGPU unit: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...le-blackmagic-external-gpu-price-release-date

The Radeon Pro 580 is not replaceable. It also serves a dock with two Thunderbolt 3 ports, four USB 3 ports, and one HDMI 2 port. The $699 price is almost reasonable for an Apple peripheral like this.

Could it be that Microsoft doesn't have the ability to make a working TB3 port so they're making up excuses?